FOSSIL stacking

Discussion in 'Other Investments' started by Water&Food, May 26, 2012.

1. Water&Food

Water&Food New Member

oh man i can keep churning out the crap

Fossils, like paintings, normally only appreciate in value over time.
    Something like a fossilized stool from me would fetch a few dollars after i pass away...

Some good examples of types of fossils to stack:
    - Dinosaur bits n pieces (esp. if attractive or from a popular species)
    - Opalized (i.e. opal formation) Dinosaur bones, Wood and Plant material, Shells
    - Amber (i've included this here) that contains a species entombed that no longer exists, preferably from the jurrasic period (thanks to movies like Jurrasic Park).

In all cases (excluding Opalized Fossils) you should only ever 'stack' specimens accompanied with Certificate of Authenticity.
    Please keep away from Ebay for fossils, unless you seriously know and trust the seller.

Get your fossils at club shows. Find out on google where the next and closest show is to you.

PLEASE ADD YOUR RANT AND EXPERT ePINIONS

2. Maggie

Maggie New Member Silver Stacker

I collect fossils Raging Bull I have found them in rocks. I will try to take photos : )

3. lucky luke

lucky luke Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Plenty of fossils stacked in my shed. All from the Walsh river. Most bi-valves and ammonites. All for under $50 each. If anyone is genuinely interested, simply pm and we can chat further.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. lucky luke

I have quite a good little range of them and it'd be a pleasure swap for some silver. Just need to bear in mind their weight (ie the matrix around the fossil). In saying that, I have quite a few pretty smaller ones so that would negate the weight issue. I'm sure we could come to a very agreeable win/win arrangement. :) PM anytime Ladybird.

5. Water&Food

Water&Food New Member

ladybird, i remember that nice CANADIAN $5 FOSSIL COIN you had where I reprimanded you NOT TO SELL/TRADE as you had the best of both worlds...

I recommend other stackers to try and stack with similar principles.
    For example, there are 'METEORITE COINS' that has a wee bit of martian love with silver ;)
    Reasonable priced too (going back 5 months or so)

6. Water&Food

Water&Food New Member

7. Ozboy

Ozboy Active Member

oh man i can keep churning out the crap - Water and Food
    - yet one more of your endearing and loveable qualities. But on a serious note, how long would I have to keep my annoying neighbour buried before they'd be worth a couple of bucks?

8. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

I've got heaps of fossils from both the Hunter Valley and Florida. Hunter Valley is mostly bivalve shells, some are up to grapefruit sized.

Florida is where the action is though - head down to a particular creek with a shovel and sieve, and you can find all of the shark teeth and mammal bones you want. The prize find from that particular creek is an knapped Indian hand blade made from fossilised coral, with a tiny gastropod fossil in the centre of the blade. About 8cm in diameter, perfect condition, still cuts meat :p I like to think it was a significant tool for the original owner.

9. Water&Food

Water&Food New Member

- Winton, QLD,
    - Coober Pedy, SA
    ^^^Both good places for opalized fossils people - still cheap to pickup (considering nature)

10. lucky luke

Ammomonites from Madagascar are also as common as the proverbial whereas ammonites from the Walsh River are relatively harder to find. It's like any collecting though. Some forms are common and others much harder to procure.