For sale: Austrian Fractional Gold Coronas (scarce as hen's teeth in Oz and cheap to boot)SOLD

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand (Public)' started by Aurora et luna, May 31, 2021.

1. Aurora et luna

Aurora et luna Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

For Sale - A pair of 20 & 10 Austrian Corona Gold Coins (2 sets available)
    Condition - Brilliant uncirculated
    Fineness - 900 fine gold (however if you checked it with an XRF, you will find it's much purer)
    Actual gold content - 20 Corona is 0.1960 troy oz
    Actual gold content - 10 Corona is 0.09802 troy oz
    Rarity - In 12 years, I have only ever sourced at the very most 4 or 5 of these coins. And never of such high quality.
    Reason they are so rare in Australia is because dealers have to pay GST so almost all of these coins come from the secondary market
    Asking $788 for each set of two coins (10 & 20 Coronas) All SOLD
    Registered shipping is $7 whether you buy one or two sets.

Some information that I cut and pasted from the web:
    The Austro-Hungarian Empire adopted the gold standard in 1892, and with that move the empire introduced various gold coins into circulation. The most popular of those gold coins was the 20 Corona coin, known separately as the Krone in Austria and Korona in Hungary.

Austrian Gold Corona coins were issued by the Austrian Mint starting in the 1890s after the adoption of the gold standard. The coins were produced through the start of World War I, with regular production of the coins ceasing in 1916 as the war dragged on and the demand for gold dropped.

All of these 1915 20 Corona Austrian Gold Coins are restrike specimens from the Austrian Mint with a date mark of 1915 engraved on the reverse side.

On the obverse side of 1915 20 Corona Austrian Gold Coins is the left-profile bust of Franz Joseph I, Emperor of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and King of Hungary. This depiction is the latest that was used on the Austrian coins during his nearly 68-year reign. Franz Joseph I died in November 1916 while the empire was embroiled in World War I on the side of the German Empire.

Franz Joseph I remains the third-longest-reigning monarch of any country in European history. He was first crowned Emperor of the Austrian Empire in 1848 and would later take on a dual role as the King of Hungary when the empire absorbed the kingdom.

The reverse side of 1915 20 Corona Austrian Gold Coins features the crowned arms of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. The coat of arms is based on that of the Hapsburg Dynasty, of which Joseph I was a member. The crest in the center is supported by a double-headed eagle with a single crown situated above. The date mark of 1915 and the face value of 20 Cor are inscribed on this side of the coins.

Last edited: May 31, 2021
  2. madaw1

madaw1 Well-Known Member

PM sent...

66rounds likes this.