Food Security.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by JulieW, Jan 16, 2020.

1. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Bushfire, Flooding, Drought etc is about to have a massive impact on Australian food supplies. Sure we can import container loads of foreign food, but at what cost, both financially and nutritionally.

Read and listen to the dire situation in the dairy industry below, and this is not the only area of concern.

So what actions and responses can we look at on a personal and local basis?

Australia’s food security is under siege with the Murray-Darling Basin water system rapidly heading towards collapse because of government corruption and mismanagement says pastoralist Rob McBride who runs the NSW property Tolarno Station. Mr McBride says that if the government doesn’t act fast to fix the problem Australia will be importing milk from China 5 years from now. With the number of dairy farmers leaving the industry at an ever-increasing rate that is a real possibility.

The interview with Rob McBride as per the below video is a real eye-opener. Some of the issues Rob raises and talks about are:

1. The big lie of politicians blaming the drought for all the water shortages in the bush when in fact a lot of the problems are because of government corruption in their management of the Murray-Darling basin water system.
    2. Stand over tactics by officials of the Murray-Darling Basin Plan Authority when they threatened witnesses to falsify evidence at the South Australian Royal Commission into the Murray-Darling Basin Plan.
    3. Former NSW Water Minister Niall Blair telling Rob McBride that they are watching him and everything he does. Mr Blair resigned from parliament in October 2019.
    4. The destruction of the Menindee Lakes for no justifiable reason.
    5. Draining the Menindee Lakes twice in 4 years when it should have water flowing into the Darling River until 2023.
    6. 20 to 60 million fish will likely be dead before the deliberate government destruction is over.
    7. 600 Dairy farmers have left the industry in the last 12 months with 1 a week leaving currently.
    8. Dairy farmers previously paid about $30,000 a year for water but are now forced to pay $300,000 to $400,000 a year and that’s why they are going broke and leaving the industry
    9. The reason the federal and state politicians aren’t taking action to help the farmers is that they are looking after big corporates who want high water prices etc
    10. It is time for a federal Royal Commission to hold those responsible to account.
    11. ICAC is investigating but has done nothing so far.
    The video interview with Rob McBride is below and a must-watch and very educational

madaw1, Oddjob, spannermonkey and 3 others like this.
  2. JulieW

This issue makes me weep with rage and despair. I lived on the Darling River for a time in my twenties, before it was destroyed. It was magnificent, but now it has been destroyed as pointed out above.

So now I'm pondering how to negotiate the consequences of this disaster and prepare for the next few years which I believe will be filled with challenges and, for me anyway, more rage!

sterling-nz and spannermonkey like this.
  3. Ag bullet

Ag bullet Well-Known Member

mark my words, water security will be the biggest problem in this country in the next 20-50 years.

paruwka likes this.
  4. JulieW

I'd give it 5.

Ag bullet likes this.
  5. Ag bullet

Ag bullet Well-Known Member

We will get a flood and the can will get kicked down the road again just like what happened after the last drought. Then the next drought will expose the inaction again.

sterling-nz and mmm....shiney! like this.
  6. GoldenEye

GoldenEye Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The problem is that this is no accident, but has been deliberately planned. You only need to look at the "UN Agenda 21" policy, to understand what's happening:

7. JulieW

I can't see what you're seeing with the Agenda 21 story.

It's a non-binding UN resolution and the UN is a giant waste of space and resources that is just an inefficient bureaucratic gravy train.

It seems more likely to me that by tying Agenda 21 to opposition to sustainable development, the parties behind promoting the anti Agenda 21 story are doing us all a disservice by promoting status quo being the ongoing environmental destruction that has landed us where we are today.

I'd be interested to know who is behind the anti Agenda 21 movement. It seems to have a lot of followers, in the USA at least, who are enacting laws that actually hinder or prevent sustainable development and hence continue us down the self destruction path.

mmm....shiney! likes this.
  8. GoldenEye

GoldenEye Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think you need to do more research on UN Agenda 21. People are angry about the Murray-Darling because they can't understand the stupid govt behaviour, but if they really understood the aims of UN Agenda 21, it would all make sense. It also sounds like there might be some corruption or favouritism involved, but I don't expect that would be a problem for the UN either.

9. Oddjob

Oddjob Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Whilst a "non binding" resolution, some Australia local government authorities (aka councils) have signed up given the infiltration of lefties / greens into local govt. The UN even publicises same.

https://www.un.org/esa/agenda21/natlinfo/countr/austral/inst.htm

and local Govt's in Aust promote Agenda 21.

https://www.lga.sa.gov.au/webdata/resources/project/LA21_new_broc.pdf

The UN even notes the Murray Darling re Agenda 21.

https://www.un.org/esa/agenda21/natlinfo/countr/austral/natur.htm