Folau believes only one thing...

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by bubblebobble2, Apr 11, 2019.

1. openeyes

openeyes Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hate comes in many forms.

Hate for gay lovers
    Hate for gay haters

Who is in the right?
    Who has the right?
    Is it right?

2. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It depends on who's left?

3. JOHNLGALT

JOHNLGALT Well-Known Member

What is a Folau? Is that like a souffle, all soft and all?

66rounds likes this.
  4. bubblebobble2

bubblebobble2 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

5. Oddjob

Oddjob Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

That article reads to me that someone is playing silly buggers...but who? Time will tell. With Beattie being Deputy Chair of the RLIF, me thinks he'll move heaven and earth to stop Falou lacing up the boots for Tonga.

As for Folau playing league for Tonga, not sure there's a truck load of cash in that, rather I think as a professional footballer, he'd prefer to be playing in some form of the game rather than sitting around.

6. JulieW

Are dropkicks allowed in rugby?
    :D

Folau spoke from Isaiah 24, which says: “The earth is also defiled under its inhabitants, because they have transgressed the laws, changed the ordinance, broken the everlasting covenant. Therefore the curse has devoured the earth, and those who dwell in it are desolate. Therefore the inhabitants of the earth are burned, and few men are left.”

He pointed to marriage equality laws and abortions and said “they’ve changed the law, they’ve changed the ordinance”.

“I just want to see the events that have happened here in Australia in the last couple of years,” he said. “God’s word says for a man and a woman to be together, one man and one woman to be in the covenant of marriage together.

“Abortion, it’s okay to murder and kill unborn children and they deem that to be okay.

“Look how rapid these bushfires, these droughts, all these things have come in a short period of time, do you think it’s a coincidence? God is speaking to you guys — Australia, you need to repent and take these laws and turn it back into what is right by God.”

https://www.news.com.au/sport/sport...n/news-story/1342cc45c7bdd686d99e56e97b608fcf

7. Oddjob

Yep...... upload_2019-11-18_8-59-13.jpeg

8. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Any millions he's suing Rugby Australia just diminished because he's bagged bush fire victims!

9. bubblebobble2

10. Oddjob

And there we have it sports fans. RA and Folau reach a commercial and confidential agreement. RA says sorry.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...es-settlement-with-folau-20191204-p53gr6.html

Details of the settlements always leak out...it's only a matter of time. I suspect RA will have to disclose the payout under "legal costs" in their next annual report anyway.

If RA were so sure of their legal position, then they would not have settled. Shame as I would have liked this to have gone to the court/s so a define position could be obtained regardless of outcome as this settlement leaves the question unanswered and potential for other such instances to arise.

ParanoidAndroid, openeyes and leo25 like this.
  11. raven

raven Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

^^^^^^^
    well said !

12. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Wouldn’t that also apply to Folau? He’s having to compromise his position as well. He must have worked out finally that he did breach his employment conditions so he’s running off with what he can get.

13. Oddjob

Fair question shiny and yes & no. When both sides add up the legal costs just to get to court, QC's costs for court, court costs, ongoing media scrum and inability for Folau to ply his trade at present etc it's usually beneficial for both parties to cut a deal to limit potential $ downside...as they say "if both sides walk away from a deal unhappy, then it's probably a fair deal".

Even if Folau still believes he was in the right, he got an apology and probably a big cash settlement....you'd compromise and take the offer to close out the matter which may well allow him to get back to playing league or union outside of Aust.

If Folau had come to the conclusion he was in the wrong going in the mediation talks (ie breached his contract) then he played a great poker bluff as parties in that position usually take the first offer to walk away with each paying their own costs if they think they are on the losing side of the argument.

leo25 and mmm....shiney! like this.
  14. raven

raven Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Also the body language waking away from the court, says alot !
    He's happy
    Enough said.
    :)

Oddjob likes this.
  15. JulieW

From the Melbourne Age:

Folau settlement saga over but bitter taste remains
    Peter FitzSimmons

And so it is over.

After nigh on two years of drawn-out agony, Israel Folau and Rugby Australia have settled their dispute, apologising to each other – no, really – for all the hurt caused, and agreeing to keep the terms of the settlement secret.

From the point of view of ending rugby's pain, it is good news. One way or another, rugby had to find its way out of the debilitating morass that consumed so much of its energy and resources while generating a seemingly endless series of ugly headlines.

From the point of view of resolving the many issues raised, however – and more particularly holding Folau to account for his damaging actions – it is singularly dissatisfying.

As one who has followed the issues closely since Folau first disgraced himself by putting up a post endorsing the view that gays are destined for hell, and who has written and ranted about it extensively, I am more aware than most of the damage he has done, the hurt he has caused. In the 21st century, his homophobic gibberish – you heard me – simply has no place. And it is no excuse that the gibberish in question is sourced from the Bible. I was hoping the court would confirm that, hence the dissatisfaction.

It was for that reason my first reaction on hearing the news – and I write in the first few minutes thereafter – was the settlement was, firstly, a great pity. Secondly, my stronger reaction was I hoped RA kept the presumed payment to him to an absolute minimum. Everybody wants to know how much. I have no inside knowledge of the terms, not even a hint, but my bet is it will be about $200,000 to $300,000. RA was confident its case was a slam-dunk legally. It had ample evidence he had made a legal commitment to not put up damaging posts again, and that this was a matter of a broken contract. RA never wavered in its view it had no choice but to sack him, and had evidence for that, too. Since being sacked, Folau has continued to lose support due to his ongoing outrages, such as linking the bushfires and drought to Australia's backing of same-sex marriage.

Where to now for Folau? I have no clue. We know he won’t be playing professional rugby or rugby league in Australia. I would be surprised if he played either game for big bucks anywhere else. In the global football world, his name is anathema. The issues that led both Australian rugby and rugby league to run screaming from the room at the idea of having him in their jerseys applies equally to professional football outfits around the world, who must deal with their own supporters and sponsors. Yes, Folau could promise to not post anything controversial again, but what would that promise be worth? How much could it be counted on?

He made the same promise, the same commitment to RA - and did it anyway.

I repeat, I suspect his serious football career is over. Proselytising in his parents' backyard is what remains, and whatever else he can do to make a living.

Goodbye, Israel. You will be remembered as a greatly gifted player, who was nevertheless a disaster for rugby. The day you severed the final strands of your relationship with Rugby Australia was a good day for the game.

Good day to you, I said good day.

paruwka and mmm....shiney! like this.
  16. Court Jester

Court Jester Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

That guy is an idiot and that article is not what was originally put up that idiot said RA would have paid max 300k in the original article

How wrong that tosser was

17. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Homophobes shouldn't pretend that they're supporting Folau out of a desire to protect freedom of speech.

paruwka likes this.
  18. Oddjob

Regardless of whether Folau won, lost or drew (settled) with RA, this knuckle head was always going to coming out swinging and have another go at Folau.

Would love to see Folau back in the Wallabies just so we can see Fitz's red clad head explode.:D

19. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It's a win for Folau and Freedom of Speech.

Oddjob likes this.
  20. bubblebobble2

And he keeps the remaining petty cash from UCC's Gofundme fundraiser... noice