Folau believes only one thing...

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by bubblebobble2, Apr 11, 2019.

1. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Just a small piece from talk tonight on splitting the New Testament.

We have a novice, a rugby union player, advising us on religion. We don’t allow novices to extract teeth, build bridges, represent us in court, etc. Who is Folau to lead us to the Kingdom of heaven? There are over 2½ billion Believers and Folau is now the chosen one to lead us to salvation? Give us a break. Where is the copyright on the message?

It appears that not only do professed believers not know the nature of the holy texts, but anyone can choose to preach the message and judge others! This extends also to the clergy. By harmonising the texts of the New Testament, believing it all refers to Jesus’ teachings, they are bastardising his message.

It is time the Church got its act together and cleaned up its teachings.

2. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

^ Does the "establishment Church" want a monopoly on preaching?

Sounds remarkably similar to the Pharisees dislike of what Christ was doing. o_O

3. sammysilver

Just suggesting that the idiots don't run the mental hospital. There is a big difference between Jesus, the message, the Church, Theology, and spirituality. But when a footballer starts preaching from the pulpit, we'll next have priests running up and down the side line blowing whistles.

4. mmm....shiney!

The Church has had a long history of suppressing freedom of expression and especially, interpretation of the scriptures. This strikes me as no different.

Did you ever go to a catholic school? ;)

5. GoldenEye

GoldenEye Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

These are all professions needed in the physical world so are not relevant, as Folau is talking about what might happen in the next world. I also don't believe Folau is wanting to harm people, but is only warning what may happen in the next world, where we will be judged by God's rules and not man's.

He's also only doing what the Bible instructs Christian's to do and what Preachers and Missionary's have been doing for thousands of years. So why can't we just ignore him like people have always done in the past when they didn't like the message.

6. sammysilver

I have ignored Folau, but I am more interested in the aftermath. We are happy to condemn Islam for the 72 virgins in heaven, why can't we drill down into our own teachings?

As to the 72 virgins, does no mean no? Can they say no half way through? Are they at the age of consent? Are they pre-conditioned to say yes? Do they have free will?

All words have meaning, and we are accountable for what we say. Who gave Folau a "Get out of Jail Free Card?"

7. Bullion Baron

Bullion Baron Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

8. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

No. Not at all. That started out as irony and I missed the bits and you're the first to pick up on it. My poor approach. The concept of writing in no blacks, chinese, women, etc died early last century after a lot of blood and tears, but people seem to think that it is still OK to sack the homosexuals or demand they not be employed.

9. mmm....shiney!

Employers should be able to discriminate on the basis of sex, colour and sexual preference. Forcing a business owner to accept a gay worker if they abhor homosexuality is immoral. Conversely, sacking a worker because they are gay is also immoral.

The upshot of it is that when the State becomes involved in legislating morality, the outcomes can be immoral.

10. Oddjob

Oddjob Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Legal proceedings also rely on precedents be them legal or how the parties to the proceedings have conducted themselves in the past.

In this regard I went back to read some of the 2018 comments from that time (re Folau's first run in with RA) and I summerise:

1) In 2018 Folau was asked a question by someone on Instagram about God's plan for gays and he answered "Hell etc etc.
    2) RA call Folau in for a chat / pls explain.
    3) Folau states (in 2018), I told Raelene if she felt the situation had become untenable — that I was hurting Rugby Australia, its sponsors and the Australian rugby community to such a degree that things couldn’t be worked through — I would walk away from my contract, immediately,” Folau wrote.
    4) RA didn't want to lose Folau thus no sanctions, no fine, no change to his contract.
    5) RA offer Folau a new 4 year contract at end of 2018, with no social media clause.
    6) In 2019 Folau makes a similar post about gays and hell etc. Post was made around the change or birth certificate laws in Tasmania.
    7) Folau's contract terminated.

The following Australian article from April 2018 gives an account of the issues and who said what back then.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...n/news-story/9fed464861b62d5446bdda1cedac8d38

Thus, the courts will ask RA, if Folau said nothing materially different in 2019 as compared to his 2018 comment and you didn't sanction / terminate him in 2018, rather RA signed him to a new 4 year contract some months later, then how can you terminate Mr Folau for making the same comment 12 months later, when 12 months before you accepted his position etc.

I would not like to be RA being examined by Folau's QC / SC when this goes to court.

yennus and leo25 like this.
  11. JulieW

If such were to be detrimental to their business - yes. Otherwise it's just pointless prejudices.

mmm....shiney! likes this.
  12. mmm....shiney!

I haven't made myself clear and therefore the enormity of what I'm saying has gone missing.

Basically, we set a market price for prejudice.

Business owners that persist (as should be their right) in adhering to their old, outdated prejudiced ways are free to hire and fire as they like. But an informed consumer base makes a rational decision to either shop at the prejudiced business owner's establishment, or somewhere else. AND, in the process, tells their friends, posts reviews on social media, write to editors, post on silver forums in oversized coloured font etc. Consumer traffic is the most potent form of change. It predates and ushers in most legislative measures.

Remember, value is subjective, therefore change must come from the bottom up, not be imposed from the top.

leo25 likes this.
  13. JulieW

I'd agree with that if corporatism hadn't destroyed the commons, but that aside, why does everyone get their knickers in a knot when gays or greens or the nefarious "leftists", arrange boycotts to use market forces to promote change?

e.g. A consumer driven worldwide boycott of Nivea products currently underway. But back on track, to the Nader-Ford Pinto scandal that inspired laws to reign in profit versus human costs.

14. mmm....shiney!

Because those getting their knickers in a twist don't have the same values. If we take the recent case of vegans trespassing on property to protest the consumption of animals products then that is completely out of order. But peaceful campaigns that don't end up with one group of people violating the property rights of other groups without an agreed and adequate compensation package is completely justifiable.

15. Jim4silver

Jim4silver Well-Known Member

Nice debate but in the end there are really no businesses that turn away $$$ because of any prejudice. The extreme cases that get the media attention are where gays keep going to the same religious bakers to stir up $hit and then file a discrimination lawsuit over a wedding cake. Or like this one where they wanted to charge non POC double the rate.

In the real business world, the most racist person will take money from anyone generally. A customer is a customer. I would like to see real life examples of racists (white ones) not taking business from those of other races, etc (minus the religious baker gay wedding cake type cases).

Maybe it happened in the old days but not in today's world.

mmm....shiney! likes this.
  16. JulieW

Hypocrisy will always find a payday.

- Anon.

17. mmm....shiney!

Adam Smith's hidden hand. The market puts a higher price on trade than prejudice.

Without even giving it much thought the racist business owner enhances the prosperity of the customer he detests and the customer enhances the prosperity of the racist business owner he detests. The outcome? = world is a better place for these two.

Jim4silver likes this.
  18. mrsilverservice

mrsilverservice Well-Known Member

I wonder how Izzy's case is progressing in the courts.

Whatever the outcome it will affect us all with the implications reaching far and wide :confused: some will be happy and some will not o_O

The Book of Psalms Chapter 16 verse 11

You will show me the path of life,in Your presence is fullness of joy,at your right hand are pleasures for evermore :)

19. Oddjob

Oddjob Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It's not at court yet, just lawyers at 30 paces with six shooters drawn. That said, I think it maybe shaping up okay for Folau as they have starting bashing him in the SMH again in recent days... "attack being the best form of defense" or so they say......I suspect they are only holding pair of 2's.

mrsilverservice likes this.
  20. bubblebobble2

bubblebobble2 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker