Fisheries

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by mmm....shiney!, Apr 7, 2015.

1. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

Prawn farming is under a cloud as white spot disease has appeared at three prawn farms south of Brisbane. It has now spread to wild prawns in the Logan River..

Consumers have feasted on imported prawns but maybe that is about to end.

I wonder how the hell it got into Australia.

This could have major implications if local fish eat the prawns... What a nightmare!

Regards Errol 43

2. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member

Greed = Mankind

Free markets LOL :D

You ain't heard of things like sustainable and unsustainable? :D Factory ships, Bison hills, Southern Right Whales, Gas chambers for Jews.

3. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Sounds very biblical to me.

I've got no idea what you're implying.

4. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

Free Market Prawns! Buy Chinese prawns laced with anti-biotics! Don't feed them to your dog, he might die.

Latest front page story from Bloomberg.

Regards Errol 43

5. Lovey80

Lovey80 Active Member

It's already about that in QLD, so why not?

6. Lovey80

Lovey80 Active Member

Considering that philosophy is counterintuitive to actually catching most fish, it's not really a good plan. Also, heavy tackle In waters above 40m deep is what allows you to crank a fish to the surface, this causes the barotrauma. Bring a fish up nice and slow and it will have a much higher chance of swimming away. Also, as far as proper sport fishing is concerned such as billfish, if you use heavy tackle on small billfish, you will crank them in very quickly, but that also increases your risk of injury. The last thing you want is a very healthy green black or blue marlin or sailfish boatside.

I billfish during the summer months when the wind allows. Sure the bye catch of Mahi Mahi, Wahoo, yellowfin tuna and Spanish Mackeral are what I am secretly hoping I get a fair few of, but you won't see me leave a hot Marlin bite to chase a maybe on the others.

I have recently gone to heavy terminal tackle for bottom fishing, but I am generally fishing a lot deeper now days than I used to. But if I am fishing 40m or under I fish as light as I think is feasible. It's increased my hookup rates a lot.

7. Lovey80

Lovey80 Active Member

Here's an idea. Let's open up the NFZ's again but let's level the playing field. Either allow all recreational fishermen to use a gill net and the same "in possession" limits as commercial operators or impose the same in possession limit on commercial fishermen as they do the recreational fishermen (5).

They get the choice of keeping their licences and working their current "property rights" or they can take the compensation package on offer from the government right now. I wonder how many would keep fishing with gill nets.

8. Lovey80

Lovey80 Active Member

It had to have come in through Imported prawns. We've never had white spot in QLD before and the government was warned about this years ago. The horse has bolted and is now here for ever.

9. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

1 in 6?! You're kidding me right. Is this a definitional thing like when about 15 years ago I happened to be on a camping trip with some mates and one of them threw his line in the water for a couple of hours so we're all "recreational fishermen" because we may have held his line for five minutes while he went to get another beer? And even then, he had all the kit left over from when he used to do it regularly but hadn't been for a couple of years.

10. bordsilver

If a prawn farm managed to get a disease from imported prawns then their breeding and hatchery programs need to be seriously reviewed. The breeding centre should always have disease free broodstock and preferably with the grow out facility located elsewhere.

11. mmm....shiney!

That's not a level playing field. Such a policy would enhance the outcomes of recreational fishers at the expense of commercial operators.

Commercial fisherman create greater value than recreational as they attempt to meet the needs of thousands of non-angling seafood consumers and allied industries. Recreational fishermen only satisfy their own needs, therefore the quota for commercial extraction needs to be higher than for personal use only.

12. mmm....shiney!

Can you give us a bit more info on this?

13. mmm....shiney!

Commercial industry players are pointing the finger of blame at recreational fishermen using imported green prawns that are intended for human consumption (cooking) as bait. When cooked, the white spot is harmless.

I would say that the farms were pumping river water into their dams.

14. Newtosilver

Newtosilver New Member Silver Stacker

Of course they pump river water into their ponds, where else would they pump it in from?

15. mmm....shiney!

Thanks Professor.

I was suggesting that the fault may not be with their breeding and hatching programs, but rather an externality.

16. Newtosilver

Newtosilver New Member Silver Stacker

I thought that would be so obvious it would not need saying but as they say common sense is not that common with some people :)

17. bordsilver

:/ That's a harder one to manage and makes the remoteness of the proposed massive new farm in the NT more attractive despite the crocs etc.

18. SteveS

SteveS New Member

Re white spot. I live not far from the affected prawn farms and a friend was saying that the area was closed to the public, and that they're even shooting birds that land on/near the prawn farm.

Surely not? If true, is it really that serious? Sounds like something out of Hollywood.

19. bordsilver

Wouldn't they be shooting/scaring birds away anyway to limit predation losses?

20. SteveS

SteveS New Member

I can't imagine most people would go along with that. I've never heard of fish/prawn farms routinely shooting birds that aren't classified as pests.