Fisheries

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by mmm....shiney!, Apr 7, 2015.

1. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If you are a seafood consumer, prepare yourself to move toward either buying farmed Australian seafood, imported seafood or be willing to pay even higher prices for wild caught seafood.
    http://www.news-mail.com.au/news/commercial-fishers-reeling/2577619/

It's about a limited resource and who gets access to it really. :/

2. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Personally, I reckon there are too many pros out there. Particularly in the Whitsundays.

3. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Nah. Most of them are in-bred rednecks so not pretty enough to be pros. :p

4. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Australian Bureau of Statistics

Fishing

*Production and value of fisheries.

*Aquaculture.

*Processing.

*Trade.

Exports of fisheries products come under Australian Government jurisdiction, while domestic market activity is the responsibility of the state and territory governments.

*Resources

The Australian Fishing Zone (AFZ) covers an area of almost 9 million square kilometres. This amounts to an expanse 16% larger than the Australian land mass and is the third largest fishing zone in the world.

Despite the size of the AFZ, the Australian fisheries catch is small by world standards, as the waters of the AFZ tend to be relatively poor in nutrients and therefore not highly productive.

[​IMG]
    http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]/Lookup/by Subject/1301.0~2012~Main Features~Fishing~182

Side note - Australian Food Statistics

http://www.agriculture.gov.au/ag-farm-food/food/publications/afs

The NSW Recreational Freshwater Fishing guide contains 74 pages.

The NSW Recreational Saltwater Fishing guide contains 82 pages.

5. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

I like the idea of no fish zones to allow breeding areas.

6. southerncross

southerncross Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Aus imports around 70% of it's Seafood.

Absolutely ridiculous for a country with a coastline of our size and the best managed fisheries in the entire world.

We as a country sacrifice our own industry and pay a premium to others for wild caught species, often caught by illegal means just on the border of our seas or infact in our own waters by illegal fisherman.

Stupid.

7. mmm....shiney!

These are not no-go zones being planned, they are no-go-pro zones, both of which are in abundance already.

From what I understand the proposed legislation will impact the prawning industry, and the inshore fishing industry which constitutes our estaurine species among them shark, barra, salmon, whiting, flathead, mullet etc.

8. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

Has anyone seen the results of the by catch from trawling? On our local beach at the height of the prawn season, the by catch washed up is measured in the thousands. Bream, flathead, whiting, toads, reef fish and tailor fingerlings are all on the beach, dead.

It is amazing that turtles struggle up the beach to lay their eggs, only to face nets hundreds of metres long blocking their way..BTW it is not the tourist attraction near Bundaberg. Yes this beach it was legal for trawlers to operate.

Maybe the answer is to licence some pro line fishermen to operate in inshore areas.

Regards Errol 43

9. mmm....shiney!

There will always need to be compromises as we use or access our natural resources in order to satisfy our demand. By catch is an unfortunate side effect of targeted commercial fishing operations, especially if the industry is trying to be as economically viable as possible and an unfortunate side-effect of regulation is that most by-catch must be returned to the sea, regardless of its condition.

In a society clamoring for "fresh is best" and local product - moves to ban netting from commercial fishing areas will mean that consumer choice will be constrained.

Edit to add: line fishing for inshore species would not be an economically viable alternative for most consumers, it does exist but it meets a unique market that is willing to pay extremely high prices (think high end Sydney and Melbourne restaurants).

10. sterling-nz

sterling-nz Well-Known Member

Well i just paid $37 for a dozen bluff oysters last night for tea.
    How does that stack up with what you lot pay?

11. anonmiss

anonmiss Active Member Silver Stacker

They don't get bluff oysters over here so they have noting to compare it to. :p

12. mmm....shiney!

There is a small wild harvested oyster industry where we live, not sure of the scientific name for them, we call them Milky Oysters, they are small with the meat being about the size of the end of your thumb. They are sold in bottles as opposed to half shell and retail for about $16/bottle which gets you about 15 oysters. They are seasonal only and much smaller than bluffs.

13. sterling-nz

sterling-nz Well-Known Member

Thats what i was after.
    Bluff oysters are a lot bigger , so id say pound for pound we may be paying close to the same.
    Thanks for the reply:)

14. FullMetalFever

FullMetalFever New Member

I'm all for it. Infact I'm firmly in the camp that believes that if you want to eat fish/seafood, you should have to catch your own (unless its farmed).

For some reason everyone is ok with taking the spoils of the sea for human consumption, but for land based animals (or sky) there is almost total agreement that these animals should be mostly farmed - with the exception of hunting seasons for non pros.

I would endorse a globan ban on commercial fishing for say a few years or even much longer in order to allow stocks of all species to recover. Not that it will ever happen ....

15. mmm....shiney!

Land based animals have been domesticated for thousands of years and are fed in the main (free range) on natural foodstuffs, in fact the best flavoured beef for example is from animals that have spent the majority of their life on grass.

As far as hunting for wildlife goes, I am in favour of such a proposal, however it is illegal, especially in Qld where you are not even allowed to shoot ducks.

At this stage, very few fish can be/are farmed because it is a technological and highly intensive industry. There are also the side-effects of fish farming on the environment and the loss of taste as most aquatic animal farms have to feed their fish and crustaceans a pellet mix to ensure they have the appropriate intake of nutrition and in order to reduce the incidence of disease.

Now it is an entirely personal decision whether you eat wild caught or farmed seafood. Wild caught will always taste better, farmed products have better consistency and uniformity. The option of either should remain with the consumer with an emphasis on local produce as even more appealing.

Thankfully you are just one voice in a sea of opinions (intentional pun). Bans restrict freedoms.

16. smk762

smk762 Active Member Silver Stacker

Rising oceanic acidity due to the absorption of excess atmospheric carbon is also having an effect on fish stocks. Easy enough to fix though. Just plant a tree for every fish you catch.

17. mmm....shiney!

I think my average would be three trees a year then. :lol:

18. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I don't eat fish and I don't get pleasure from 'going fishing'. I do like looking at them when I go on Holiday, which is about once every three to four years, I don't get quite the same pleasure from watching them in an aquarium or on a TV, but the experience is pretty much the same, although without the requirement to get wet.

Commercial people will always complain when anything happens which could affect their ability to make money, they wouldn't be doing their job properly if they didn't.

People not directly involved in making money from the commercial side will always be happy when anything happens to protect the stuff they don't make any money from.

Agriculture and Fisheries Minister Bill Byrne gets paid either way.

19. mmm....shiney!

And one of the local members too might I add. So much for representing your local electorate. :cool:

God I love Democracy. :/

20. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Freedoms require intelligence and consideration of others, the failure of which is why those pillaging the oceans should have their chains yanked.