Fisch Tester identifies fake 18ct Sovereign

Discussion in 'Gold Coins' started by Acorn, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Acorn

Acorn Well-Known Member

I recently undertook a F2F meeting with a trusted forum member to buy a few Sovereigns.

We’ve undertaken many very successful deals previously and I don’t have any hesitation trading with him again.

On this occasion I took my loupe and Fisch Sovereign Tester with me. The first two sovereigns fitted the Tester and passed through the slot and tipped the balance perfectly revealing them to be genuine.

The third Sovereign, a UK 1908, looked good, fitted the Fisch Tester and tipped the balance but was very, very tight through the slot. It appeared just a bit too thick to pass freely through the Fisch Tester.

I compared the Sovereign with the others through the loupe. The milled edge was slightly different and the edge appeared beveled. I wish I took a photo of it.

Anyhow, I politely declined the third Sovereign and recommended the member drop in to Gold Stackers and have it XRF’d. I suspected, given it was too thick it might have been a lesser carat Gold.

A week later the seller contacted me to say that he did take the Sovereign in for testing and Lo and Behold, it XRF’d at 18ct.

It appears the Fisch Tester was right. I’m happy to have it. If not for the Fisch Tester, I would have probably bought the Sovereign. Full marks too to the seller for getting his Sovereign tested and letting me know the outcome. He’s a top bloke and I hope to deal with him again sometime.

Moral of the story? Go prepared when buying sovereigns. If you have doubt about a Sovereign, have no doubt. Pass on it. Alternatively, stick with Gold $200 coins as I don’t think anyone counterfeits those.

Regards

Acorn

whinfell likes this.
  2. greedy Kobold

greedy Kobold Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

just a thought

wouldn't vintage fake sovereign be quite valuable/appealing to a collector?

p.s. Marsh say common bullion thing, ..may be a copy from Middle East

3. Peter

Peter Well-Known Member

Some few sovereigns(sa?) have a thicker rim and fail the slot test in fisch.
    Also,if slightly bent,they will go through
    One way but turned 90,not the other.

4. projack

projack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The only fake sovereigns you shouldn’t worry about is the platinum sovereigns. They should fly through the tester’s loupe
    plat.jpg