First time stacker... Next steps...

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Bill Setterberg, Mar 24, 2018.

1. Bill Setterberg

Bill Setterberg New Member

Resized_20180324_160151.jpeg
    I just got ten one ounce bars from Sunshine and five from Silvertowne .. I am wondering if I should diversify and go toward eagles, rounds, bars and junk or have a mix of all types of silver. Love the look and feel of these bars and need some advice from other Stackers on next steps. Thanks for allowing me to join the forum and hi all.

2. Ian Gillman

Ian Gillman Active Member

Some people stick with one type of silver and others have a mixture, it is really down to personal preference. Just collect what you enjoy collecting. I have a mixture of coins, rounds, bars and 90%.

3. Bill Setterberg

Thanks... Going to get some rounds and eagle next

4. GoldSilverPlatinum

GoldSilverPlatinum Member

Welcome to Silver Stackers :)

My advice would be to find out what your primary reason would be for stacking. E.g. collecting silver coins/bars etc, hedge against economic down times or just a diversification of your investment portfolio.

For example you would be looking for 1/2oz and 1oz coins/rounds/bars (hedge) and 10oz and 500gram bars (investment) that are lowest over spot you can find. Basically called generic silver. Why generic as it buys you the most oz's of silver for the same fiat currency. This is especially great when you just start as it gives you a boost to build a hoard.

If you do choose to collect then you want think of various types (bullion coins, proof coins, minted bars, poured bars, hand pored in various sizes/shapes by professional companies and individuals) of coins/rounds and bars and preferable without scratches, milk spots etc. and get capsules, special gloves to handle and store them.

Personally I'm a silver is silver person and just use it as it partially as an hedge and partially as a diversification of my investment portfolio.

What you get in size/amounts etc is based upon your personal situation.

5. Bill Setterberg

6. Bill Setterberg

That's what I am thinking... More of a hedge and get some pieces that I just like.

7. copperhead

copperhead Active Member

Your stack is starting as what many call generic . So if you want to build a generic silver stack Visit provident or JNB or others that offer
    $100 purchases equaling free shipping . I think the most silver for the money is best so if you stay true to that by only buying special's called any quantity purchases You will automatically build an assortment by default . It's great to toss in some Eagles as you see them at a good price . My statements are of America I notice other countries have the same concepts based on there offerings relative to country .

8. Bill Setterberg

9. Bill Setterberg

Thanks... Going to get some eagles and take advantage of offers from some retailers that have silver at spot

10. Skyrocket

Skyrocket Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Welcome and keep stacking! :)

11. StewyD32

StewyD32 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

What GoldSilverPlatium said hit it on the nail.
    I start of buying items that caught my eye, but now have a mindset on stacking generic bars close to spot as possible.
    (That being said I still make the odd purchase on non generic items).
    From my point of view especially now, trying to offload generic bars is alot more easier than other items that attract a higher premium.

12. copperhead

copperhead Active Member

Another bit of advice I found for myself . As your stack grows it's important to have a fair amount of coinage that is just what ever was priced best
    as they tend to be very Trendy gaudy designs - - Thats GOOD cause if you need sell for emergency : those are the first to get purged
    In time as you build- 5 ounce - 10 ounce bars - 2 ounce coins - 1/2 pound Pound silver bars - Eagles - Some numismatics - They become problematic
    as you never want to sell them . So hence a truth in the purchase . What balance do you want of your stack . I have plenty I wish to not sell .
    So I try to buy what I will not develop individual attachments to .I'd buy all buffalo designs for all it matters .
    Your start is great , if you had only those bars in multiplicity hypothetically as an entire stack how boring yet how perfect
    when you need a fast $3000 Just count and sell . No need to look , study or wince . Cause the following week you will rebuild
    with the same bars once more .

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  13. copperhead

copperhead Active Member

Be proud you already have more silver then the average Joe

14. tolly_67

tolly_67 Well-Known Member

First time stacker ...next steps
    Thats easy...........pray.........most stackers have hung their hopes on every known possible reason for silver to skyrocket....all to no avail. There is not much left to hold on to.