First time poster - Coin grading

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by Kevkion, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Kevkion

Kevkion New Member

Hey guys !
    First time poster, long time reader here!

Just wanted some advice on coin grading.

I've picked up some new coins, in particular a 1937 crown,

I think its around a Fine grade, however could be higher or lower.

Its got three of the four sides of the cross of the top orb and all pearls are visible.

It's slightly dirty (darker colour) however the high points seem to have little wear.

Just wanting some opinions / tips on what to look for in the future!

Thanks guys

2. RichardAL

RichardAL Active Member Silver Stacker

If you search through the archives on the forum, you'll get not only descriptions but images specific to the coin you're invested in. Something along the lines of (this may have come from wrcmad or lunarowl back in the day, whoever it was we can only say "thankyou very much"):

"1937-1938 Australian Crowns:
    On the reverse of these coins at the very top of the crown is a cross with a circle (or 'Orb') below it. On this circle is one vertical and one horizontal band which form another, very light, cross. This light cross should be checked for wear.
    The next point to check are the nine pearls lined up vertically below the Orb. Are they rounded or do they show any sign of flattening ? On each side of the pearls is a vertical line known unofficially as a 'Spire'. Each has a raised line running down the centre referred to as a 'Flute'. Check the Flutes for wear. Look also at the rims and denticles for any wear, rim ricks, chips, bumps or bruises.
    If there is absolutely no wear on any of these high points - a magnifying glass should be used to check - then the obverse side may be graded UNC. Before assigning that grade, check the fields and designs for scratches, wear, abrasions and porosity of the surface. Circulation coins drop from the minting presses into containers which may cause indentations to occur. 1937 and 1938 Crowns were distributed throughout Australia to banks by ship and rail. During transportation, particularly because of the large size of the crowns, it was common for 'Bag Marks' to occur . The grading is still UNC if only bag marks and no other wear is found - the coins description would be something like - UNC with bag marks or UNC with rim nicks. However, unless the coin still has full lustre (even under surface patina or toning), it should be graded downwards.
    On the obverse, the highpoints to check include the King's hair, top of ear, eyebrow, nose, jaw line and neck, plus the rims and legends. Do the combing lines in the hair stand out clearly ? Has the eyebrow been flattened ? Is the lobe of the ear worn or damaged ? Are their marks in the field ?"

[source is SilverStackers Forum, apologies for not having a full citation]

Good quality photos of the coin you're asking about wouldn't go astray. It's not easy to take a good photo of a coin but worth putting in the effort, although how the coin appears in real life is another thing. Since the coin you mention may not be particularly shiny it may not be a big deal to produce a reasonably accurate photo as regards the quality of the original mint lustre.

You may also consider checking out the webinars on pcgs to get an idea of the coin attributes they give weight to in grading. The priorities in pcgs grading are not always coincident with the priorities in, say, the Australian adjectival system. Having said that, as long as everyone agrees on the system to be employed there shouldn't be large discrepancies in the final grading of the coin under consideration - if there are then odds on there's a crossed wire. Understand that Extra Fine is not XF40.

ANDA have a few pamphlets on coin grades specific to Australian pre decimals which many people go by as a start.

Don't underestimate the psychological aspect, ie what you own you will perceive as having/holding increased value and/or grade relative to a prospective purchaser.

Bear in mind so called "trade grading" where the coin is graded according to what it is anticipated to realise in the market, irrespective of "purer" assessments.

Don't get me wrong, Crowns are great coins - why aren't you chasing '38s?

3. Kevkion

Kevkion New Member

Hey again,
    I've managed to have a look at the crown that I've got, here are some photos:

[​IMG][​IMG]

As you may or may not be able to see the 3 sides of the cross on the orb are clearly visible and all 9 vertical pearls are in good condition. However I'm not sure the flute is visible but I've never seen an UNC on so hard to compare. I know its hard in photos but if you could give some advice and an approximate grade that'd be so handy, and give me a guide for the next one I get my hands on.

Also if anyone would care to look at these and give a grade that would be amazing, I'm thinking VG or F but honestly have no idea. Thanks guys , I owe you one!!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

PS its my first time posting photos so i hope they worked !

4. Kevkion

Kevkion New Member