Expressions of interest APMEX group buy

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand (Public)' started by milled, Dec 28, 2019.

1. milled

milled Active Member

Hi All
    I am considering a larger APMEX purchase, at this time the AU Peace Dollars. I may be persuaded to buy something else depending on interest.
    The cost for these is currently listed as 17.99 USD per unit
    This price is for a large volume hence the modest discount per unit.

While the advertising is for "random year", looking at the customer comments the vast majority of these would be from just a few years. I will dole them out according to whatever happens to be delivered.
    I would not expect any high relief 1921 or 1928 in there.
    https://www.apmex.com/product/10870/1922-1935-peace-silver-dollar-au-random-year

[​IMG]

An alternative might be the VG to XF bag which would be 16.99 per unit.

My intent is to buy the majority but I am looking for maybe 5-6 smaller buyers who would like to secure a smaller amount. I am not really looking to those who want less than 10 coins as it is a bit more time sunk in logisitics than I wish to spend. I did buy some silver ferns and takus on a trip across the ditch some years ago now and there may be a few of you left here with some of those. Doing that gave me a little appreciation of the time involved in distribution.

Bear in mind these are 90% ASW and as such they attract GST payable before release by customs in Australia.

They have a lovely design imo and to an extent clearly not a direct punt on the future silver price, especially with the premium. (They are described as .7734 toz per unit).

My intent is that you pay the same I do - all in this includes a pp&h fee to freight from Oklahoma to Australia, a bank transaction fee and any currency conversion fee. Cost will be pro rata.

You will also bear any local costs in postage, the nature of which is at your expense and risk. There is a small chance of ftf depending on where I will be working at the time of delivery and your locale.

PM me if you are interested.

Expect some delay before they come through.

If payment is received at my end you will be locking in the price at which I buy them.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
  2. milled

milled Active Member

example comment as far as range goes:

"from about 50 coins there were only about 3 that were not 1922 or 1923 - Philly even with specific requests"

So, if that is any guide, if you bought 50 and the product I receive is the same in ratio, you will receive what that customer did.

However, if I receive a good range, I will do my best to be fair :)

3. milled

milled Active Member

I have already made a sizeable purchase of a range of other US 90% silver items - morgan dollars, 1964 kennedy halves, walking liberty halves, washington quarters, roosevelt dimes and a big bag of unspecified circulated, so there is a possibility of some of that too, depending on the POS at the time. Obviously if that has fallen, I'm not taking a loss, so will wait for the spot price to come up.

4. sctpc

sctpc Active Member

I bought in Queens beast last month and I worked out I needed 11 to be viable then I sold 10 for my costs and everyone was happy as we all got what we wanted knowing the total price, If you have the money that might be an idea. No offence but an unknown price is harder to sell, in my 2c opinion.

Argentumiser likes this.
  5. milled

milled Active Member

None taken

GST is 10% on this item, as it is unless you buy .999 or pre 1900 numismatics so you will need to take this into account. As a long term buyer, 10% fluctuation is quite ordinary for silver. POS could be down or up from here. In an election year in the US, markets can be even more volatile.

This purchase probably won't suit a very short term flipper. That would be the same for most physical purchases. This item is semi-numi and future price depends on the future market for it. They rarely come up on SS, have scarcity value in Australia and they are pretty, as well as carrying some historical cachet.

The total price depends on the POS as it does for anything a stacker may wish to purchase.

The GST as a percentage compounds a rise in the POS, but only by a small amount, unless POS spikes in the near term.

In the amount I intend to buy, 500 coins minimum, this only becomes a hindrance in that event, as in weeks from now. In which case, I may not buy.

If your plan is to buy purely on POS, then given the buy and sell spreads in bullion, it would seem more logical to just buy paper silver, assuming you are investing enough to overcome the cost of buying and selling paper, around $30 each way, these being tax deductible on your capital gain, which is at your marginal tax rate if < 1 year.

If you are in the market for just a small number of coins for a collection or keepsake, then I may well assist after all is delivered.

However, if you are wishing a decent amount of this item, then it might be of interest to you to cut down your premiums and shipping by going in with me.

Again, the silver price is always unknown except at the time of purchase. No vendor can promise a future price. Best I can do as a private buyer is to determine if there is interest in say 100+ coins across 5-6 buyers, which is not a large purchase but if a person wanted 20 coins this is I think cheaper than buying direct. (As an example, you might be looking at $50 USD off the bat for UPS freight, which is prohibitive for 20 coins of this type in this market). I make nothing out of this. It is simply a service if people are interested.