Experts, What's this old bear set worth

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by Chillidog, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Chillidog

Chillidog New Member Silver Stacker

What is a 1987 proof set worth? Are they proof? As i did not think BU started till 1990.
    It contains 1x5oz and 1x1oz pandas,certificate and box.
    I think the mintage of this set is 20000
    It's not in peters panda book or pricepedia.
    Mintage for 1 oz 31000
    Mintage for 5oz 10000
    So not sure how cert can have no 15677 or something like that with the above mintages.
    Any help much appreciated

2. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

Got pics?

Probably easier to read the COA than guess the coin lol.

3. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Panda Pics... need the pics :)

4. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

5. comeaux

comeaux New Member Silver Stacker

hello chillidog

Both coins in this 1987 set are Proofs

The value of this set depends significantly on the raw condition of the coins (as all coins). When comparing raw verses graded coins, I have seen a huge difference in the retail value of these coins in particular. I have seen raw sets (with box & COA) sell anywhere from $500 to $1,000. The COA with this set states 23,000 sets which is odd as the mintage for the 5 oz coin is 11,000. This mintage inconsistency is not uncommon with modern chinese coins but that will be another topic.

A graded NGC PF69 Ultra Cameo of the 50 Yuan is currently selling on a US site for $975 and the same site has the smaller NGC PF69 Ultra Cameo 10 Yuan for $850 so the combined value in great condition can be as much as $1,825 !

What I have noticed with many of these sets is that the 5 oz is in bad shape many times but the 1 oz is in mint condition. The 5 oz of this year is not only susceptible to serious toning but the outer rim tends to "flake".

I took a chance on one of these sets in the local coin store here and basically stole it for $350 as the dealer really didn't know what he had and the 5 oz was in horrible shape. That's why he sold it so cheap but my eye was on the 1 oz proof that was basically flawless !!! I knew it would grade 68 or 69.

So what I did is send both coins in to NCS for conservation as I felt they could do something with the 5 oz but only expecting it to grade very low or possibly even just get "details" grading which is what you get when it will not be in sufficient condition to get a grade. Then after NCS conservation it was graded/encapsulated NGC.

To my surprise the very bad looking 5 oz graded PF64 Ultra Cameo which is not a very good grade but I was surprised it even graded, NCS did a herculean job on this coin. It did not even look like the crappy coin I submitted. Then the 1 oz proof graded PF69 Ultra cameo !!!

So what I did is put the PF64 5 oz proof up on ebay and it sold the same day for $450 to a Malaysian buyer and I kept the 1 oz PF69. So basically made a little money and got a free $800 coin !!!

I also put one of these 1 oz proofs up on ebay that was graded a PF 67 and it also sold the same day for $375.

I apologize for the long post but wanted to illustrate how you can profit with these sets even if the 5 oz proof is not in great shape.

Good luck on the set if you purchase it !

comeaux

Oh yea here is the coin I sold for $450, when I bought it it looked like it was buried in the ground for the last 20 years ! :)

[​IMG]

6. Chillidog

7. Chillidog

Many thanks for you help. If it's rugged I might have to go the conservation and grading path too.

8. Pandacollector

Pandacollector Active Member

Hi. The coins are both in the book (Gold and Silver Panda Coin Buyer's Guide) and the Pricepedia but they are listed as individual coins, not as a set. If you add the prices for the two proofs together you pretty much have the value of a set.

Best wishes,
    Peter Anthony
    http://www.pandacollector.com