Ever walked through airport security with a gold/silver coin or bar ?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Silverperch, May 14, 2011.

1. Silverperch

Silverperch New Member

Travelled from Melb to Perth the other day via plane. When I put my carryon and loose change etc through the airport x-ray machine, noticed the security hesitate for a few seconds and pull my tray aside. From the angle I was standing I was able to see the xray image of the tray I had my stuff in. In the centre of the image was a pitch black round spot which was the 1oz gold coin I was carrying with me. Everything else was translucent including loose change, except that gold coin. I couldn't pick out the 1oz kooka I also had amongst the shrapnel, not sure what kind of image they give off.

Anyhow, just goes to show that if government confiscation of gold becomes a reality this stuff will easily show up on the x-ray machines. I know for certain that 10oz perth mint silver loaves show up as these are always checked when I fly back to Melb, but not so for the 1oz kookas.

2. Cerul

Cerul Member

When my stuff went through a scanner on my trip to Hong Kong they checked the bag with my 1oz kookas in it.

3. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Been through heaps of times (including Intl') with soverigns and 999 gold coins in my wallet and never been stopped.
    Silver and gold bars in carry-on luggage, never been questioned.
    Heavy gold rings and chains get put in the tray and ignored.

...but pinched out a candle with my fingers before leaving for the airport and the residue got picked up on an explosives swab and I barely made it on the plane despite being 1 hour early to check-in :rolleyes:

4. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

I thought Silver and Gold had no magnetic properties so in theory if you walked through the metal detector with bullion in your pockets you'd be fine with no BEEPS?

Never tried carrying bullion on a trip though, might try that at the end of the year when I go OS.

5. reflection

reflection New Member

X-Ray

Gold is dense.

6. Graeme

Graeme Member Silver Stacker

Gold comes up clear on the scanners, but silver comes up black ... which gets security concerned.

Two members here got dragged away by security, strip searched and came back walking funny after being probed ... well that's how I think it went. They will tell a different story. :p

7. THUCYDIDES79

THUCYDIDES79 New Member Silver Stacker

strange that gold is clear and silver is black.

if its done by xray, than the denser the metal the more intense the image ?!

8. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Shuddup!

However Graeme is correct - gold is transparent, silver is black on the X-Ray machines.

Travelled on a number of US flights and within Australia - every time I've had silver in carryon it's been detected and screened. Even had tubes of coins opened up and individually swapped for explosives etc. The gold they don't seem to care about, but the silver sets off the security.

9. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

Damnit, I'd be angry if they opened up my tube of coins !

I guess I won't be buying any silver OS then :(

10. Graeme

:p

I was travelling light with only a little silver .... unlike the 'birds' that went through at the same time as me.

I showed Mr Security Screening Man what silver I had and he was very interested and let me through.

11. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The density of gold should set the X-ray machine off, but is it possible that they've turned down the sensitivity for gold's density range because it would flag every single piece of jewellery worn by thousands of travellers every day?

12. Graeme

Possibly Big A.D, otherwise I would have gone 'bing' as well with the gold I normally wear. :| ... no ... I'm not Greek. :p

13. SilverBaron

SilverBaron Member Silver Stacker

Where is the TSA when you need them?

14. goldpelican

Actually it was the TSA that did every coin in the tube. They do use gloves though because they're screening for explosives, so at least they were handled with care.

Sydney airport was where they made the biggest fuss about it though.

15. Silver Natural 9

Silver Natural 9 New Member

I noticed for the first time when I was flying back to to BNE from SYD late in March, the swab guy asked for my consent for that explosives test.
    First time I had heard or noticed it. I seriously thought of saying no just to see what would happen.
    Personally i'm getting ticked off with em. I have been swabbed every single time for the last 6 or so flights.
    I think the security guys single out most any shaved headed white male, at least thats what I think now.

16. goldpelican

I think "no" would result in refusal to board, but at least you were given the option.

17. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I was always getting picked so I got into a polite conversation and asked why she picked me and she said "Oh, either we just go for someone nice that doesn't look like they'll 'cause a problem or someone that looks like trouble and needs to be dropped down a peg. :eek:

I think the trick is to be beige. Don't make eye contact, don't do anything to attract attention to yourself in anyway ... look as mainstream as possible! And don't look "foreign" :p

18. euphoria

euphoria New Member

I got pulled up by security travelling from Perth to Brisbane with a 1kg silver tiger. Showed up black and had to open up my bag and show what it was. It was all good though, just a funny look. 'Nutter'.

19. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hello. I collect coins. I like coins. Coins are interesting. I have a big coin. Would you like to see my big coin? That is a big coin. I have lots of coins. Many of my coins are different. Would you like to see my different coins?

What, I can go now?

20. chimpanchu

chimpanchu New Member

I've been through airport security with gold/silver bullions.

I'd had some gold coins and bullions in my wallet in my trip to Indonesia and China, which never raised any concerns. They could easily pass as regular spare change in one's wallet.

I also had a tube of ASE in my carryon on my trip to China which didn't raised any concerns either... I actually find it strange, I was getting myself prepared to get questioned about it.

One time I had 1 ounce silver panda in my pocket on my trip to Singapore, airport security checked my pocket and found the coin. The guy looked at the coin intensely and asked what it is... I just told him it's a silver coin... for a goodluck charm... he believed me hehehe.