EU or democracy - one or the other

Discussion in 'YouTube Digest' started by aleks, Jun 27, 2015.

1. aleks

aleks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PalZQapEnbk[/youtube]

A speech by Dan Hannan english MEP speaking to a dutch audience on how the european union has destroyed democracy, is a hindrance to free trade and markets, and its ideals are myths.

2. hawkeye

hawkeye New Member Silver Stacker

While I agree with the general sentiment regarding the EU, am I the only one who gets frustrated seeing democracy painted as some kind of ideal over and over again by people who, it seems, should know better, and how it often gets equated with freedom? To me, democracy is everyone enslaving everyone and the sneakiest and best connected are able to reap the most benefits.

3. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

No. ;)

4. aleks

aleks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

As I was posting this I was thinking I'd bet a shit load of money hawkeye would like this :)

5. smk762

smk762 Active Member Silver Stacker

[​IMG]

http://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/...acy-employee-rights-and-the-right-to-protest/

It's not democracy that threatens freedom, it's centralisation of power. Sure, a multinational dictatorship would be efficient, but it would fail to address the concerns many of it's constituents.
    The fewer people you have in control and the larger the population they seek to control, the less individual freedom is represented.

Our version of democracy is far from pure. It's the modern equivalent of the Greek system in which a select wealthy few decided the best way to keep their pockets full and their slaves in line. Not much has changed, but every few years the facade of choice is now offered to the slave.

6. hawkeye

hawkeye New Member Silver Stacker

I think that is what is known as a false dichotomy. It's not a case of either democracy or dictatorship. Though democracy can quite often lead to dictatorships and at the very least appears to devolve into corporate fascism over time.

What I am saying is, it's time to start thinking about a truly free system. Democracy is just a religion with human gods.

Think about how the US government and it's allies are so eager to spread democracy. Is it any different from centuries past when the same kind of people were trying to spread Christianity? Same region too.

7. smk762

smk762 Active Member Silver Stacker

Democracy is not really self-determination. That's the problem.