Ethics & morality with your investments

Discussion in 'Other Investments' started by renovator, May 29, 2012.

1. Dusty

Dusty Active Member Silver Stacker

The question is WHAT IS UNETHICAL ?
    Is it something that someone disagrees with?
    Is it were something or someone's gets hurt?
    Is it taken from another to benefit self gain?

Please tell me, I'm very interested to hear because I'll tell you all the ethical or unethicials things that I do and than pass judgement please that's what's it's all about isn't it?

I gained a permit to grow tobacco so if people smoked it and I gained financial benefit is that unethical ?
    My kids have a pony that pulls a cart and they race for prizes, is this unethical ?
    I have rabbits that are breed for meat and sale, is this unethical ?
    We race horses so they get whipped in there races, is this unethical ?
    I work for a mining company that destroys native forest, is it unethical ?
    I wear clothes made from a third world country, is that unethical ?

My point is I think it's unethical to pass judgement on others when you yourself do unethical things one way or another.

2. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

I'd buy shares in Monsanto just to thank them for "Round Up", I love the stuff.

3. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

:eek: you need to do some research boy... as I said, like putting a down payment on the hitman who is going to whack you

If you know anything about Monsanto there is a reason for that, anyone gets pregnant in the family do your self a favor and send the poison back to the company who made it

Paying to poison yourself lol... future generations will look back at us like we look back at the Romans and their plumbium, we NEVER!!!! learn

4. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Oops not a thanks but a reply.

Round Up is what their GM Soya beans are designed for. (currently estimated at 98% of USA production). Copyrighted and you can be fined if you have their seeds in your crop - even if birds or wind dropped them into your field. But never mind that. Since they are immune to Round Up that means that they can spray to their heart's content to kill all the weeds that compete with the soybeans. Trouble is there are now 'super weeds' which don't respond to round up and which are killing off large areas of cropping land. Back to chipping with the hoe folks.

Nature will find a way.

When we were farming the council forced us to use herbicides to eliminate ragwort. We refused and paid 'the fine' of the council worker's spaying. They're now, almost 30 years later coming down with all those strange cancers and agent orange type diseases. mmmmmm. Ethics....

5. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Won't stop me using it.

6. silversardine

silversardine Member

Well gp, I assumed it was the few ''four letter words'' that caused it to be deleted rather than the other based on past experience. I am just tired of threads disappearing after I take time out from MY family (also important) to contribute.

7. silversardine

silversardine Member

http://eprints.usq.edu.au/239/1/Beal_Goyen__Phillips1.pdf Why do we invest ethically? 30 page paper

http://www.minessence.net/AVI_Accred/pdfs/ValuesEthicsPrinciples.PDF On vlaues, ethics, morals and principles - 6 page paper.

No comment since I have family to attend to - but both worth the read.

8. lucky luke

lucky luke Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You do appear to have a valid point there.

As I said before, a shame the baby gets thrown out with the bathwater. If its one comment or one poster who has overstepped the mark with a comment or a completely unaceptable expletive, then surely deleting that one post is better than deleting the entire thread? Especially when my pearls of wisdom go down the drainhole along with the little bits of rubbish spotted floating in the water. :p

9. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

Dusty those are the questions i was asking of others when i posted the thread. . I find it really hard to draw a definite line in the sand . Like i said its a huge grey area for me & i take it on a risk for reward basis usually. In the end im profit driven more than anything far more than what others will think or if they disagree.. They are not going to pay for my lifestyle,hobbies or food .

10. Dusty

Yes your correct there in no easy way out.
    A while back I posted that I'd like to use some silverstackers Avatars for my greyhounds and people were keen for the idea, I thought it would be a bit of fun.
    I've got a bitch named after my mum, one after my sister and dogs named after my boys.
    I didn't know that it was such a terrible thing to do, possibly unethical ;)

11. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Don't ignore the safety warnings. They err on the side of loose.

12. Argentum

Argentum Well-Known Member

few months ago i got some silver for a fraction of spot from a couple that inherited it. In the mean time ive resold the silver for a nice profit but it does bug me a bit they didnt receive a "fair" price. I mean they were happy with the price. I gave them the price i was willing to pay they agreed. The way i see it now is the same as when you're fixing/building something around the house. I call a few people to give me a quote and dont take the first one. The ones that dont do that get burned a bit. The way i see it if i put myself in their shoes and I was selling something and I sold it for much lower than i could have gotten it would have been my fault.

What do you guys think is it fair or not? And if its not what would have been fair paying 10 % below what it is on SS. Or telling them the spot and then offering any price

13. Dusty

Sorry Renovator I hope you don't think that it was a attck on you?
    My point is that one way or another everything is intertwined together and alot of it is unethical like driving a car and polluting the air when we could ride a bike even eating meat when we should be a vegetarian :)
    God this list could go on and on but I've come to realize that I'll still do my thing and others there's.
    I live a good life, great wife and kids, good job, nice investments (except that bloody share market), Gold and silver,
    I get to go on good holidays so really to take a step back and have a good look and answer this thread, well I'll do what ever I think is good for my family ethical or not.

14. lucky luke

lucky luke Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think "fair" is when the other party goes away with a smile and is content. You might have traded your shiney bead necklace for their button of gold, but they are happy with the exchange. And if they think they got the better end of the deal, why should you (metaphoricly speaking ) spoil it by trying to convince them otherwise? Let everyone be happy and there won't be any problems. Ethics? Morality? Pfffff. Just depends upon which side of the line your standing.

15. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

Giving them what they asked for it is what i would do .If they were happy then who cares. I usually ask what they want for anything if im buying then take it from there. Hindsight is a great thing thats bitten me more than once . I used to make offers first then they said yep way too fast & i thought to myself i knew i should have offered less. so now i leave it entirely up to the seller.

16. Ozboy

Ozboy Active Member

I'll post a comment tomorrow, when the effects of the red wine has dissipated.

17. Argentum

Argentum Well-Known Member

american indians traded with newly settled europeans with their gold for meagre things. They were both happy , or the storry how they sold Manhattan for a small amount of $(dont know if that story is true by the way). I guess at that particular moment you cant see whos better off, it depends on what happens next like buying an ounce of silver for $35 today and in 2 weeks its $50; the guy who sold it regrets it and the other one is celebrating

18. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

19. silversardine

silversardine Member

Everything is intertwined and everything can be a grey area. The only way to move towards somewhat unravelling your own position is to explore where you stand, what you stand for and why. We will assume that everyone stands for family or self preservation, but values go further and deeper than that.

If you only stand for money then everything is fair game. If you stand for something more personally powerful then deciding the top 10 values you hold is not only empowering but also can provide direction when coming across questions like this. It doesn't matter whether it is ethincal investment or what job to take next.

Values are also not ''things'' but are based on deeper meaning and understanding. So if you stand for ''money'' that is really a thing - it is what money can buy that is what you stand for. But take it further, what would you buy witht he money once your needs (even fast cars and big houses) are met? Once you and your family (and friends if you are donating!) have everything what will the money be spent on? And for what purpose? The answer to that question might have something to do with what you stand for....then go a few more steps and ask some more questions and you could turn grey areas into crystal clear diamonds.

Once you have these values clear your decisions become easier. You can then see which of these grey areas can be put to one side for the purpose of what is and is not acceptable.

I used to do exercises with people in defining their values as a stage in development. Most people don't delve very deep into this and while everything is intertwined, some aspects of life, society, environment etc that hold more importance. Narrowing this down helps cut out the fog and grey areas somewhat. A simple example - f you had to decide things based on 3 favourite numbers from 1-10 then it would make sense to figure out which numbers were ''the best for you'' and why. That way you don't need to rummage through all your possible thoughts about numbers 1-10 every time a decision was needed.

Those papers linked in a post above are not complicated, particularly the 6 pager, but they do help define some of these words and help ID what they really mean - as a start.

20. silversardine

silversardine Member

http://www.scu.edu/ethics/practicing/decision/framework.html

A Framework for thinking ethically - article on web page. Goes into five different sources of ethical standards, what ethics is and is not, making ethical decisions etc...

Lots of other info here too.

None of these are about whether one persons ethics are better or worse.