Ethics & morality with your investments

Discussion in 'Other Investments' started by renovator, May 29, 2012.

1. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

While reading a recently departed thread about an alternative investment . I was wondering what percentage of people actually would decline a good profit if it meant stretching your ethics or morals to the boundary where it otherwise would have stopped.

Personally i feel theres a very grey area between having money to put food on the table or going without to feel good about yourself .. I cant say that i have a definite line that cant be crossed unless its illegal.

Thoughts ?

2. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

Illegal or not has nothing to do with my ethical boundaries :p.

3. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

I don't believe the social benefits behind grid tied solar, but will gladly take the cash!! Would not invest in Monsanto though... that is a bridge too far. Would take any handouts (GFC cash etc..) from the gov (and invest in PMS :) ), but believe people should stand on their own two feet. Would not try to buy round 50c off the local granny for less then spot

:)

4. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

That sounds similar to my outlook on things ....Agree 100% on monsanto .

5. hawkeye

hawkeye New Member Silver Stacker

There's also a grey area when it comes to people's knowledge. ie. do you really know what you are talking about when you claim whatever is immoral.

Man, this falling down the memory hole thing sucks. I obviously missed what was bad about the other thread, just arrived back and it's long gone it seems. Can someone enlighten as to why, without actually repeating whatever it was of course? Surely, it wasn't my purely innocent comment, that someone seemed to interpret in a not so innocent way...

6. registered nutcase

registered nutcase New Member

I may not be rich from this, but I belive that nothing should be done unethically, this is my approach im my job. I like to think that if I can infulance one person to become more ethically responcable I have made a difference, espically if that someone teaches someone else.

I make my decissions based not only on cost but on how it will help the local community, trying to buy from smaller local companiers rather than bigger better priced ones. I also look at how they treat their workers and if they treat them poorly I want deal with them.

7. Water&Food

Water&Food New Member

registered nutcase, fair enough. Though, surely you can agree, just because you object an investment based on ethics, which is not against the law where silverstackers comes under, it is still not justifiable to discourse the matter on legitimate threads aimed at diversifying.

YOU DIG?

8. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

Reg nutcase - you should donate your avatar it seems.

Back on topic... Yes do invest ethically and there are certain things and companies I won't give my money too.

9. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what shall a man give in return for his soul?

If the ethics don't bother you then sleep well. If they do, then why poison yourself for something so deceitful as currency?

It's VERY hard to find ethical investments these days if you get out the fine tooth comb.

10. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Just one night off without having to moderate crap is all I ask.

11. registered nutcase

Agreed Julie, it is all about how far before you have trouble sleeping/telling your mother what your doing.

12. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

With great power comes great responsibility!

Get the ban hammer out!

First infringement = 1 hour banned from posting, and hit everyone, original poster, trolls, white knights and anyone who feeds the trolls. It will go quiet for a bit but everyone will learn, plus it will be fun

13. lucky luke

lucky luke Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Damn. I'm gone for the evening and just noticed another thread disappeared. What pearls of wisdom (likely mine) disappeared along with the crap (I won't name names) in that thread? A shame the baby's got to go with the bathwater though when entire threads disappear........... But I'm sure I'll cope. Obviously some-one crossed the line in terms of ethicly or morally expressing themselves.

14. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Not Monsanto but would take from the taxpayer?

It seems we have ethics for all occasions. :/

The greatest tool used by the powers that be to control us is our morality. Morality is not something that is forced upon us, but should stem from us. There is always someone in this world that will find the actions or interests of another human immoral.

15. registered nutcase

I could not agree more. who cares what the grubbernment says is correct. If you can live by your own moral and ethical code you are living like a human should.

16. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Well here's something to think about. Shares in fast food anyone?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wshlnRWnf30[/youtube]

a bit more graphic and what is done to make it sort of digestible.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhyi0O01ys8[/youtube]

Of course it's different in Australia

17. Dusty

Dusty Active Member Silver Stacker

People crap on about governments taking away peoples rights and a simple thing as a topic can be taken away because people disagree of what it's about,,, rather than not take part in a discussion they choose to supress it as it's not something they like.
    In my opinion this site just sank to the low of the low.
    Equal rights or opinions mean nothing on this site and I always thought that this was a site that stoodby all these things??
    Shame shame shame.

18. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

I think that was what this thread was all about :)

Monsanto will end up killing us all, investing in Monsanto in like putting a down payment on the hitman who is going to whack you?! As for taking from taxpayers... i'm a tax payer, just getting some back of what is mine :D

19. silversardine

silversardine Member

Time is spent making posts and particularly when links are provided, as I did, that takes time..... when threads get deleted this indicates a lack of respect for that effort to contribute. If people and posts make the forum then then why unmake it by deleting threads - just bleep the offending words and allow points to be made.

20. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Rubbish. Check your PMs. "I may even name a little bitch that I have out the back here LADYBIRD" is what got that thread taken down, and it was your comment.

silversardine, I really do have better things to do of an evening than try to pass judgement on every post on it's merit. I do have a family, and occasionally like to spend time with them, not babysit every thread on the forum 20 hours a day and trim post by post.

How would I win - I had people complaining about there being threads on greyhounds as an investment, and people complaining about people complaining about greyhounds - there's no middle ground, and naturally someone's going to get pissed off at me for "not making the right call", which is going to be entirely subjective to the individual. So entire threads get canned when a bunch of adults can't discourse without respect for each other.

Used to copping shit for how this place is run.