Entry Level/Beginners Kit - Detectors and Gear recommendations please!

Discussion in 'Prospecting & Detecting' started by RhythmDoctor, Dec 5, 2012.

1. RhythmDoctor

RhythmDoctor Active Member

Figured at the moment I have a LOT of time on my hands, so would like to go out and do some detecting.

I've a few key spots I want to try exploiting in the Brisbane area - but my technical knowledge on detecting is useless!

I've got a fairly small/limited budget, mainly as I'm a fan of buying better gear with as my skill develops combined with some pikey luck!

I'm calling on all detectors here to give me a lowdown on their best recommendations at the cheapest ghetto kit they can think of.

This should consist of:

Detector - cheapest possible with best value
    Digging equipment
    Anything else I'd need.

I'm really appreciative of this advice in advance, it's money for nowt, and gets me outta the house early in the mornings, all things being well! :D

Cheers,

RD

2. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Never been detecting myself but remembered this recent thread that might help with picking the detector- http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic-32549-reccomend-me-a-metal-detector-1000.html

You can rent the detectors out in some places but not sure about down your way. Maybe try borrow one off a friend or an SS member.

The Lesche digging tool seems to be highly recommended, $60 I think. There's YouTube videos about how to dig the 'perfect plug' in parks etc so as to not get in trouble with the rangers/councils.

Think you need a 'prospecting licence' to dig too but not sure if it's enforced in all states.

Good way to spend your free time, apparently all the bending down and digging is great exercise

3. Auspm

Auspm New Member

Summed up pretty well.

For a 'cheapie' in the park scene, I'd look at either a Minelabs Xterra 50 or 70. You can buy one of these new for about $400-$500.

[​IMG]

4. RhythmDoctor

RhythmDoctor Active Member

Awesome - thanks for that Aus - just looking for a cheapie I can use in the parks - sure it'll pay for itself sooner or later (plenty of fools leaving their jewellery lying around) :D

5. DanDee

DanDee Active Member Silver Stacker

A scoop is very handy for sand or sandy soil, you can get a flash one for about $20 or $30 bucks
    Like this...
    [​IMG]
    or you can buy a cheapy at the bargain store for $1 that I reckon works just as well
    Like this....
    [​IMG]

6. johnw

johnw Member Silver Stacker

Rhythm Doc, I've got a Minelab Explorer II with a lot of extra goodies I'm looking to offload (including a really good third party book on using it). I'm looking to swap for 15oz of silver. I'll throw in some trowels and a sand scoop as well. PM me.

7. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

That is a pretty good price for an explorer II if it is in good condition, that is a very good starting detector. The equipment really depends on what and where you are detecting, if you are just looking in parks and such for coins , and jewelry type stuff I would go with what you mentioned and include a pinpointer , Knee pads, I would also use a small polimer probe for fine digging so you are less likely to damage coins, some little baggies to keep your finds and seperate them in case you do find say a nice coin to keep it in good condition. Maybe a small trash bag in case you dig up garbage it is always good to leave a place in better condition than you found it and always fill in holes. I have seen many parks and good detecting areas get closed off to detecting because some idiot digs a bunch of holes and garbage, and it gives the hobby a bad rap. Also if you are in a park be careful of needles always try to dig with your plastic probe until you see the object . I could go on and on but those are some basics, if you are going for relics or nugget shooting then there is some different equipment I would reccomend.
    Oh and most of all have Fun!!!

8. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

Dandee beat me to it, a plastic scoop is essential. Pinpointer not so much, I think they're a waste of cash personally. Depending on the type of battery you'll be lugging around I'd also go with an aftermarket harness, some of them are real back breakers.

Haven't used any cheap detectors but I'd go for a minelab without question.

9. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

If you are just dinking around in the park on a Sunday afternoon All you really need is the detector (learn how to use it) and a small trowel , forget the scoop, save the room for a 6 pack of fosters!

10. Philski

Philski Member

i have an x terra 70 and its awesome. On the beach or treasure around old farms and sports grounds. and small gold 1 gram plus. easy. Waterproof coil, great on batteries, lightweight and robust. I go out with a whole range of Pulse induction minelabs sd2000-gpx5000 and mine will identify the target but the VLF is not a 1/4 of the depth of a 5000. Depends what your after. I hunt mineralization. I use the 70 semi professionally, so its not a toy. Price $450 - $550 depending on coil. Its way better than the xt-17000.
    the 705 has more buttons and range. but more expensive.

if you can afford $1000 then any of the super detectors SD 2000 upwards. They found more gold than any machine in this country till the 5000.

garrett are great machines too. you can get a good one for under $300. Gold snoop etc,

i stick with minelab as you rarely if ever see a broken down one for sale. Quality and price.

For digging a shovel will move 10 times more dirt than a pick in soft to medium hard gravels, dirt and sands, A pick in hard areas. in creeks i use Chisel, dumpy hammer, crow bar, screw driver, winch. I use everything as lightweight as i can. With maximum leverage so modern shovels with composite handles and stuff.

there is also a great QLD prospecting club online that would be able to help with areas too. Gympie etc..

hope that helps

have a great day
    Phillip

11. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

12. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

13. Squiggles

Squiggles New Member

Garrett Ace 250 is my recommendation, cost is around $350 (New) and there a great machine for the price. They're easy to use, lightweight, sensitive and have great depth. I know a couple of people who use the Ace 250 and they absolutely love it.