Election Predictions

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by JulieW, May 3, 2019.

1. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I wouldn't put @JulieW into the category of someone bringing everyone down around them in order to lift her self-esteem, far from it. I sometimes just think (and hopefully she will correct me) that many people of her generation have grown up on a diet of misinformation and bad news. I know as a child in the 70's the frequent messages I received about imminent nuclear destruction, or an invasion from China, or the absolute destruction of our environment due to pollution and over-population certainly had me worried and I was only a kid. These bad news stories were presented as certainties that could not be avoided unless governments took drastic action. What worried me the most as a 16 yo boy was the fear that if war did break out, I'd die a virgin. The only time I was ever told that the world is a better place than the one my parent's experienced at my age was when I was being admonished for whinging about having to go to school or not being allowed to do something.

But I get your point, lefties do have a sense of moral righteousness. :)

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    wrcmad likes this.
  2. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

To reference an old QOTD I think you're educated beyond your intelligence. I used to think you were selective in your responses as part inattention and partly chasing a strand of argument to ground. However this little tanti has me believing now that you're trapped in binary thinking, with no space for shades of grey.

I always enjoy your posts, however being relentlessly adamant is most times self-defeating, not so much from the point of "winning" an argument but more from understanding other perspectives and expanding your own views on a subject or discussion point more fully.

3. JulieW

There's some truth to that, and I hesitate to generalise using the new term "woke", but my generation was the one that rebelled and sought truth, whether in politics or philosophy.

The door was opened by Eisenhower's 'military industrial' warning and then women's liberation, pot and LSD, and the murderous wars shown live on Telly.

I vividly remember waiting for what seemed to be days for the Cuban missile crisis to end life on earth, and it came close.

And we saw the clumsy apparatus of propaganda transition to the current slick and virtually undetectable version. My cynicism was developed and distilled by the discovery of centuries of lies used to control and oppress the human spirit. Up until my generation, our "betters" were assumed, overall, to know better.

So it's not so much pessimism opposed to your rational optimism, but more the grinding down of hope in the face of experience and the identification of inevitable consequences.

You probably don't believe me, but I am very optimistic in my day to day life. I feel blessed and joyous despite the mess I see around and the daily pain of watching mankind's litany of folly.

As I've mentioned before, my life is informed by the Zen Master who let on that all that's left to us is to have a good laugh.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    sammysilver and Peter like this.
  4. JulieW

The Zen Master.

5. Skyrocket

Skyrocket Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

They are much more then that. They are the f*cked up suicidal scourge of Western society today. A major problem affecting us all. Trying to take away our free speech is just the start. If I was in charge I would ship all leftist to Islamic nations, mainly Africa, since they persist on demanding we let these incompatible freeloader scum to come live here.

6. mmm....shiney!

https://www.silverstackers.com/foru...logic-and-arguments-on-silver-stackers.91468/

As were countless generations before yours. You weren't the first, Benjamin Franklin did a good job of rebelling in order to seek the truth. It was prosperity that gave the hippies in the 60's the freedom to play up, to explore.

That's what Matt Ridley says in his book, most people are personally optimistic but collectively pessmistic. Or to put it another way, I'm okay, it's humanity that is the problem.

"Cultural pessimism" has long been fashionable, just ask Malthus or Erlich, who incidentally to this day has never acknowledged he was mistaken and still publishes his assertions that we are heading to mass extinction - though he has learnt to not put any dates on his prophecies. LOL

When I get up and look around I don't see mankind's wretched mess, I see families with leisure instead of ploughing potato fields, kids going to school instead of creeks to gather water, boats on the bay, cars whisking us quickly away saving us a day's ride on horse back, dogs running on the clean beaches, a tap delivering clean water to my home, power poles supplying electricity so I don't have to burn trees and kill my kids from respiratory disease just to feed them or keep them warm, a pharmacy dispensing drugs that cure our illnesses, couples and groups of friends enjoying coffee together, a grader building a road in days that would take weeks with men with shovels, homes with fences yet no barbarians at the gates who have come to plunder, teenagers connecting with each other on their mobile phones, young men and women walking their 2 kids along the boardwalk because they can afford to be less fecund due to plunging child mortality rates, a photo on my phone from my daughter overseas that I received almost instantly that would previously have taken days/weeks/months to receive by ship.

I could go on. It doesn't mean I don't see people doing stupid things thanks to social media we see even more nowadays, that's human nature - and I'm not so naive as to believe that progress doesn't comes at a cost. It's just that I haven't surrendered myself to my evolutionary hard-wired survival instinct of always looking on the dark side, afraid that a bear or tiger will jump out at me from around every corner. I haven't surrendered myself to my own subjective construct of reality. It's because I'm rational, I prefer reason to spiritualism.

Lovey80, jultorsk and JulieW like this.
  7. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Julie I always enjoy reading your jousting matches with Shiney. You both have formidable minds. Good people attacking the same issues from different directions.

mmm....shiney! and JulieW like this.
  8. mmm....shiney!

She just frustrates me at times :)

But that’s my problem to deal with.

Shaddam IV likes this.
  9. JulieW

"Men's strength is the patience of Women" - South America Saying.

;)

sammysilver and Shaddam IV like this.
  10. mmm....shiney!

More fuckin poetry!! :p

sammysilver, Lovey80 and Shaddam IV like this.
  11. Lovey80

Lovey80 Well-Known Member

I like your outlook on life Shiney. And I guess I agree with you that all of our collective advancements (undoubtedly supercharged by the capitalist system) have allowed a lot of free time for people to waste on things that are essentially useless. The thought of someone doing a PHD on gender fluid dance theory even 50 years years ago let alone 100 or 200 years ago seems more utterly ridiculous than it does today. They have that free time because they don’t have to worry about ploughing that field to plant potato’s or they will die next year due to starvation.

I do worry though, that these advancements have allowed at least western society to, in part, take their eyes off the ball. By that I mean that we still have a very long way to go if we want every human on earth to have a decent standard of living. For example, Energy is still unaffordable for billions of people. Those demanding “Action” on climate change are always ignorant to the billions living in poverty and what is required to pull them out of it. They don’t know that the very “action” they are demanding will set these people back years, if not decades.

At the same time while they continue with their gender fluid dance theory PHD and spend their spare time on their faux intellectually superior soap box shouting about how they won some sort of culture war and that the rest of us are deplorable knuckle draggers. They could have been studying a STEM subject and actually doing their part in solving some of the very big challenges we have ahead of us. All that mental energy being wasted debating gender specifics on birth certificates or how they are going to stop the Adani coal mine over soy lattes in inner city Melbourne. That mental energy could have been spent on developing the next generation of battery that would allow the standard electric vehicle to get over 1000km after one of Bill Shorten’s 8 minute charges. Or a solar panel that is so efficient and cheap that it makes burning coal economically unviable.

As for the election. I am certain that the team that won will create an environment that gets us closer to those goals. At the end of the day, if the goal is to create the motor car, the solution isn’t to have the government go out and shoot all the horses.

mmm....shiney!, Oddjob and Shaddam IV like this.
  12. mmm....shiney!

Yep.

These last few weeks I’ve even come to the conclusion that while climate change will be a disruptor to our ecological systems across many parts of the globe (it certainly will not have a uniform impact), the real issue is poverty. And as I posted elsewhere, if the IPCC scenarios are to be believed, and climate change is indeed due to human industrialisation, even if we stop the burning of fossil fuels and turn to renewables it will mean two things:

Firstly, using the IPCC’s scenarios, the planet’s average temperature will still rise by about 1 degree C (?) and secondly more concerning, 1 billion people will consigned to living in absolute poverty by 2100 because they can’t get affordable electricity. Any rises above 1 degree C will see that figure of 1 billion in poverty drastically reduced because it will mean the world has not turned away from fossil fuels. And as the Environmental Kuznets curve shows, once the average wage in a nation reaches about USD8000 (from memory), our environmental condition improves.

So we have a choice, consign 1 billion to living on less than USD2.00/day by turning off the fossil-fuel tap meaning they turn to less efficient more destructive energy production methods eg burn dung or forests, or keep it flowing so the poor can reach the magical USD22.00/day and rely on newer, cheaper technologies (fracking, shale, solar and nuclear fission yes, wind or hydroelectric no) to solve any potential environmental consequences. And you can probably add nuclear fusion to the no basket as well.