Economies: Your Pick

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by petey, Jul 16, 2013.

1. petey

petey Active Member Silver Stacker

We all have our opinions on how this game is going to play out. Some hyperinflation, some deflation, some total SHTF, some recession and so on.

That said, where do you think is going to be least affected?

We have seen lists of countries' debt ranked in order of the amount per capita or per GDP. We know that some countries still farm/live off the land more than others and can support themselves better at least from a food point of view during tough times. We know that a few countries have very little debt and very strong economies but are located in Europe - a melting pot just waiting for another riot in the street.

Some have said that North Korea is the obvious pick as they are so insular, however I have been led to believe that they receive quite a lot of foreign aid. British Virgin Islands have no external debt and are at least an island - separated from potential riots.

Interested to hear your thoughts.

2. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

Don't know how things will pan out in detail but in the big picture it is quite obvious that Asia in general is growing and most of the "west" is carrying huge debt burdens.

I see long term gradual changes but with short bursts of chaos
    Have no plans to change countries even if things get worse - Aus system is pretty good in relative terms
    Having lots of resources will provide a considerable buffer

The British Empire has been in decline for over 100 years but Britain has still been an ok place to live through that time
    I would probably think the same if I lived in the US - things will decline from here on but probably still a good place to live

Having said that, I am glad my family moved from countries in Europe and South America that are now in deep shit

3. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Antarctica has had a stable economy for the past 25Million years since Gondwana split away and did it's own thing.

SPLITTERS!!!!!

4. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Im thinking underdeveloped SE asian or South American countries which are at least somewhat politically and socially stable.

5. hawkeye

hawkeye New Member Silver Stacker

It's all relative. North Korea for example probably won't be affected much because it isn't involved much in world trade and is already at the poverty level. I can't see the Western countries falling that far.

Political stability is the main thing to look for. As long as you have reasonable amounts of freedom, recovery will be possible. People have to feel like they are free and secure in order to conduct business. And that includes being free and secure from their own governments. And not be laden down by too many taxes to the point where they feel like it isn't worth it to be entrepreneurial.

That's why the countries with bad demographics look the worse.

6. petey

petey Active Member Silver Stacker

I was thinking that Brunei's future is looking pretty rosy. No external debt, plenty of oil, 0% tax for it's residents so it is encouraging for them to innovate , located in an already strengthening South East Asia.

It seems as though the country is politically stable, although not a democracy.