Ebay silver fever?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by boneyard, Jan 5, 2011.

1. boneyard

boneyard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

WTF

1 Kilo of Australian Silver Coins Pre 1945

Current bid AU $1,180.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments?

2. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yeah prices latelt,I was chasing gold nuggets before Christmas,was picking them up for $42-$45gm,NOW over $50 a gm

3. Willow

Willow New Member

maybe they cant get 1 KG bars beecause the dealers are buying them all? so buying old coins

4. boneyard

boneyard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Went for $1251

With a buyer of 1298 feedback

beaten by a buyer with 30 feedback.

5. Dynoman

Dynoman Active Member

I think general public awareness is starting to take hold with PM prices always exceeding spot by at least 20%. Get used to it, just like Govt. property valuations in the halcyon years the spot price will become less & less relevant as the peasants scramble for safe haven investment.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

KJC over the counter today in Sydney :

1KG Bag Pre 1946 92.50% $1,017

http://www.kjc.com.au/bullion/bullion.pdf

Cash n carry. No shipping. No feedback. No paperwork. Just slap $1,017 on the counter and walk out with your 1kg.

All Ebay proves is that for the most part, people don't have a clue on how to buy precious metals.

Funniest part is, most do it to 'stay off the radar' but here in Australia, the records on sales are kept anyway for Taxation purposes under these new selling rules and sure as hell, Ebay Australia won't be wiping anything from their records if the Feds come a knockin'.

7. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

I bet they were after numismatic not Silver, it only takes a few wrongly graded or better than average to return more than silver at the moment so that would be my take on it.

The other thing I have noticed is a spike in Numis coins also. I know the new book is out but where I would normally win say 70% with fairly low deals I am now getting beaten every time. My other theory is a lot are still on holidays and I would imagine a few people having some spare time not working may be bidding ?

It is tough out there at the moment finding a deal better than spot ? Hell I would even take spot on some but not that easy...

8. Drag0nHart

Drag0nHart New Member

Ebay is getting crazy, I was used to getting rounds and junk silver/coins for under the spot price. Now even when sniping the bids at over spot in the last 2 seconds... I am being outbid....I used to win over 80% of my bids via sniping...now I am getting less than 40%.

9. silvertongue

silvertongue Member Silver Stacker

I used to snipe more when the market was different, but now it's so easy to be "out-sniped", that I just decide what I'll pay, make a bid, and if someone pays more than that, great, it just makes the market value rise... :)

10. Terry88

Terry88 Member

Just tried eBay, now I understand what you guys mean by "snipping" :(

11. Drag0nHart

Drag0nHart New Member

I wouldn't say we are being out snipped, I am snipping at 36 - 37 dollars for rounds...regular bidders are just setting their bids at ridiculous levels..such s $40+...my snipes are no longer effective at taking out those bids.

It just goes to illustrate how tight the physical supply is or how desperate more and more people are to get their hands on physical. You can by Canadian Timber wolves from Scotia Mocatta for around 34-35 dollars...these coins are going for $40+ on Ebay right now.

12. Argentum

Argentum Well-Known Member

maybe seller raising the price to squeeze as much as he can out of ya

13. Drag0nHart

Drag0nHart New Member

I bet the 1298 feedback buyer received a second chance offer within hours/minutes of the auction ending...

This has happened to me...the current high bidder will be outbid in the last few minutes/seconds....then after the auction a second chance offer will be made to losing bidders for their max price. I believe that this is just shill biding to discover what the top bidder would have been willing to pay, then a second chance offer is made to extract the maximum amount of cash from the bidder....for this reason I do not respond to the second chance offers....let em eat the final value fees and have to re-list.

14. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It could also be that the seller has multiple lots of the same item (like a bag of junk silver).

If they get a good final price on one lot, they might be happy to sell more at that price. Some buyers who got (legitimately) sniped may well be happy to pay it.

There is also an opportunity for the buyer and the seller to complete the transaction outside of eBay, so the seller would be in a position to offer a discount if they don't have to pay eBay and PayPal fees. I've had sellers offer me multiple lots of the one item just so they don't have to pay a second lot of listing fees. Suits me fine since I can leave them shitty feedback for the first transaction if they screw me on the second, but it doesn't happen very often and I only take up the offer if the seller has a good rep to begin with.

15. Bulawan pilak

Bulawan pilak New Member

I brought 3 x 10 oz PM's off ebay....works out higher price at $35/oz compared to $32 - 33 from ABC. Some bars are going for higher amounts...don't know if it is too expensive but it seems the price on ebay...haven't told my wife yet....ha ha ha.....

First time buyer from ebay....we will see if it is the last when I receive delivery...

16. Mark

Mark New Member

LOL @ what i just seen on ebay... the heading says "1kg .999 100 oz!!!! PERTH MINTED SILVER!" and the buy it now price is $4000

WTF !

For a start the sizes in the heading don't add up and who the hell would pay $124 an ounce... if someone bought this i wouldn't know whether to laugh at them or feel sorry for them.

Some people on ebay really shit me

17. Guest

Guest Guest

In old latin, EBAY actually means Caveat Emptor! :D

18. f40

f40 Member

+1

Everyone always blames shill bidding, but the reality is the buyer most likely has multiple items / lots to sell.

19. Drag0nHart

Drag0nHart New Member

That could very well be true...but...I find it very suspicious that someone with less than 5 or 10 feedback even knows how to set up sniping software or even is aware of what sniping is. It is very difficult to manually snipe with 1 or 2 seconds left...generally these are the bidders that start bidding on day one and keep increasing and driving up the price up over the course of a week in a vain attempt to win the item by chiseling away at the bids of everyone else...I snipe to avoid dealing with this insanity.

You can click on the winning bidders disquised id and see the percentage of bidding that the user does with the particular seller...generally, the higher the percentage the more chance of it being a shill bidder...but not always as a single feedback buyer may have 100% of his bids with one particular seller...but when I see 80% with a feedback of 20 or so, then I am suspect.

I have received second chance offers on relatively rare coins, the chances of having even one is rare enough. It is also interesting that I have only received second chance offers on silver coins...never on any other items I have ever purchased on ebay.

whether legit or not, I have never felt the need to posses an item desperately enough to respond to the second chance offer....there are so many other auctions out there.

20. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I saw a bid on an ounce of gold from 0.99 opening to first offer of $10. Why on earth would you bother with the typing.