eBay ripping of on import charges

Discussion in 'Gold Coins' started by Eliassamaha, Jun 15, 2016.

1. paranoia

paranoia Member

The GST Low Value Goods amendment only made it through the House of reps this week & the senate only has 4 more sitting days to pass it before implementation date.

Many of those required to pass it in the senate committee a few weeks ago were insisting on a 2018 implementation date. Whilst not set in stone I feel we have another year on this one. It would be madness to try to have the changes come in within a week.

EDIT: For those interested in the Senate committee report:
    http://www.aph.gov.au/~/media/Committees/economics_ctte/GSTlowvaluegoods/report.pdf?la=en

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  2. Bullion_ron

Bullion_ron Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I thought it came into effect 1st of July?

I recently purchased a 20 peso gold coin on ebay, and as it doesnt qualify as GST exempt due to its fineness I called customs for confirmation that it would not be held by customs as it was valued at under $1000 AUD.

The bloke I spoke to said this is correct, but if it arrives after the 1st, it would attract GST.

Not disputing what you are saying dude, but if this is the case I don't think the message has filtered down to the drones yet...

3. paranoia

paranoia Member

Well the government has said that it is coming in 1st of July, so people could be forgiven for thinking that.

It has however, not passed through both houses of parliament and is therefore not law.

http://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Bills_Legislation/Bills_Search_Results/Result?bId=r5819

From the report I posted before:

Recommendation 1

2.80 The committee recommends that the bill be passed, but that the implementation date be delayed to 1 July 2018. The committee urges the government to note the concerns raised in paragraph 2.78.

There's also a dissenting report from labor who said they'd not pass it for a 2017 date.

I could be wrong, but to me all signs point to a 2018 implementation.

4. paranoia

paranoia Member

The house of reps agreed to the senates July 2018 implementation amendment this morning so the bill has officially passed both houses.

Will be interesting to see how ebay reacts to the changes... their in house system is terrible over $1000 with markups on import fees over and above what is generally required. If they don't fix their system by next year it will make a lot of international purchases not worth it.

It will also depend on the import charges that Aust customs place on such an import. One to keep an eye on to be sure.