Ebay purchase and protection

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by Marcusboy, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Marcusboy

Marcusboy New Member

Hi all,

Sorry this is not a panda topic but is related to pandas. I like to seek the advice from members as to whether a purchaser is protected if he buys an item from, for example, ebay Canada or Germany and the buyer does not use Paypal but prefers bank wire. Would the buyer still be protected if anything goes wrong with the purchase? The rules says to benefit from ebay purchase protection, you must have bought on US ebay and payment method must be one of their approved payment methods. See "You used one of the payment methods listed below:

PayPal

ProPay

Skrill

Paymate

Credit card or debit card processed through the seller's Internet merchant account

Bill Me Later

eBay Buyer Protection is not available if you paid using payment methods not specified in the eBay Buyer Protection Policy.

Does that mean if the purchase is paid by international wire, the purchase is not protected?

Any views on this?

2. XB

XB Active Member Silver Stacker

That is my understanding ... no paypal = no buyer protection

3. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You just answered your own question
    No paypuss = no protection

4. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

Paypal = protected, wire = no protection.

5. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Paypal = illusion of protected, wire = no protection.

At least in the three times I have tried to claim.

6. Marcusboy

Marcusboy New Member

Thanks all. Just wanted confirmation.

7. apples

apples New Member

As someone who used to work at PayPal and process dispute claims, I can safely say their record in resolving cross-border (international) disputes is very spotty. For some countries it's great, for others it is not. Bank wire is totally unprotected, and is worse.

If it was me in your shoes, I would do the following:

* Buy only from the most trusted sellers you can find. Vet them as best you can ahead of time.
    * Keep transaction amounts reasonable. Don't put all your eggs in one basket with one massive purchase in case a transaction goes wrong.
    * Use your PayPal account to draw on a *credit card*, not bank account. If anything does go wrong, don't bother disputing it with PayPal, go straight to a chargeback on your credit card.

8. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

I make a lot of buys from ebay. Usa, uk, and germany.
    Only two buys dont arrived to my home. I use paypal allways im buying in ebay. At less than day 45 of your pay if you dont recibe the item. Open a case in ebay and contact the seller. In one week more in both cases the seller return my money in the paypal account. The two buys are from china.

9. tamo42

tamo42 New Member

That's very interesting info. Thanks for the tips!

10. apples

apples New Member

No problem at all. The one thing I think that people mis-understand... PayPal's dispute/claim process isn't there to be the white knight of injustice for its customers, it is there to save the company money on chargebacks and disputed payments... if it helps customers at all it is purely incidental.

That's why the credit card backing for payment is essential, IMHO, as it offers you more recourse if something goes wrong. Keep in mind that 99.9% of transactions run flawlessly, but if that .1% crops up it can be painful. Especially in an area like Pandas which are high dollar amount, risk of counterfeit, etc. Back in the day when I worked there, it always angered me to see legitimate customers on the wrong side of things, out of their money, and without any recourse.

11. camylopez

camylopez Member Silver Stacker

I concur with apples, I have never had anything good come from paypal and refuse to use it now, unless the seller wont accept anything else.
    For the most part, any decent credit card has way better protection than paypal, though ebay and paypals marketing lead ppl to believe otherwise.
    Am a user of paymate myself for my sales