EBAY Dealers

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by comeaux, Nov 6, 2011.

1. comeaux

comeaux New Member Silver Stacker

2. Dandan

Dandan New Member

When someone reseals a coin whats the purpose? Is it easy to detect? Is it only to fool bidders? The sell mentions it on the front page on his store. So looks like he's not trying to be dodgy. Are there any dangers buying resealed coins. It certainly doesnt sound desirable.

Thanks

Dan

3. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

Resealed coins might have been 'manhandled' and 'preloved' or they may have failed to grade 68+ so they put it back into the seal.

Or they may 'bake' the Gold coins to remove copper spots and seal it back in to make it look better but I've seen bake jobs gone wrong and you get a blobbed surface on the coin >_<.

Anyway, original mint seal is the best bet.

4. Anthony

Anthony New Member

The seal is just an extra way of helping to validate a coin.

Diffeerent mints used different seal patterns, they are listed at the end of Peters book.

If I look at a specific coin and see that it was made at 2 Chinese mints, I know to be on the lookout for 2 particular seal patterns, else red flags start going up.

Resealing may be done to help make the coin airtite to prevent damage, but a zip lock bag would do pretty similar too.

5. tamo42

tamo42 New Member

Resealing is an attempt to deceive the buyer into thinking the coin is in better condition than it actually is. Unfortunately, because we're dealing with relative simple technology, it is easy to duplicate.

Xu hong actually gets his coins resealed at the mint, which just adds to the complexity.

Basically, coins that appear to be mint sealed *may* be in good condition, but it's certainly no guarantee.

If you are looking at the coins in person it's pretty easy to tell with a loupe. Over the Internet with crappy pictures, it is almost impossible to tell the true condition.

6. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

Thanks C. I've bought a couple coins from firststrike and can also vouch for them. I added three others to my saved sellers, 1 other was too rich for my blood and another was a combo of too rich and too expensive for coins I can afford. Two of the saved sellers I may buy something from this week, really good deals. Thanks again.

Also thanks for the heads up about the seller with 100% feedback.

7. comeaux

comeaux New Member Silver Stacker

I personally say there is absolutely NO good reason to reseal a coin regardless of how reputable a seller is and the claim he gets them "resealed" at the mint is questionable.

All I will say is if you buy from that dealer ask if the coin has been resealed.

Many of the veteran members at CCF swear by this guy

I will leave it at that as I really upset some members at CCF for saying more about this than they wanted to hear so I will stop now and keep peace.

8. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

Thanks comeaux for the list
    I buy a few days later from firststrikecoins. When i recibe the coins i Will post here.
    With hangzhouhuayinshoucangpin i buy a coin in august and after im waiting the coin for more than 45 days i fill the eBay protection and they refund the money because the coins contine in china (tracking).
    But i think the seller is Ok because have a lot of fd. But i dont know he resealed the coins.