Double florin - What's it worth.

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by sammysilver, Dec 4, 2016.

1. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I had an opportunity to pick a couple of these up yesterday for $50 each. Are they worth it?

The following refers:

Double florin From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The double florin (4/-)[1] was one of the shortest-lived British coin denominations ever, only being produced during four mint years, between 1887 and 1890. The silver coin weighed 22.6 grams (0.80 oz) and was 36 millimetres (1.4 in) in diameter.

The obverse side of the coin shows a portrait of Queen Victoria wearing a veil, with the inscription "VICTORIA - DEI GRATIA" (Victoria - By the grace of God), while the reverse side shows four cruciform-crowned shields bearing the emblems of England (x2), Scotland, and Ireland, with sceptres between the shields, in the style of Charles II's gold coins designed by John Roettiers; the inscription on the reverse reads, "FID DEF BRITT REG date".

The coin was introduced as part of a short-lived attempt at decimalization of the currency, after an earlier attempt had spawned the florin. As with the sixpence, Shilling, and Florin the coin was not demonetized as part of the 1971 decimalization. Unlike those coins it has not been subsequently called in, and it remains legal tender for 20 pence. The coins are not likely spent, though, as the silver content of each coin is worth far more than 20 pence.

The coin acquired the nickname of "Barmaid's Grief" due to its similarity to the slightly larger crown coin (worth 5 shillings, 25% more than the double florin), as neither coin was marked with its denomination and both used an identical portrait of Queen Victoria on the obverse.[2]

Some coins minted in 1887 (the first year) had a Roman 'I' instead of an Arabic '1' in the date. This went unnoticed for a time until corrected, allowing the balance of the mint run to be produced with the correct date. These two variations are worth approximately the same, making the series more interesting for collectors.[3] Some coins dated 1888 and 1889 have an inverted Arabic 1 instead of the second I in VICTORIA as the result of a broken punch.

2. serial

serial Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

condition and date are the key issues to value here
    got pics :)

3. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I'll buy some nuggets off you if you change a crown.

4. thepurplepenny

thepurplepenny Active Member Silver Stacker

Double florins (4 shillings) were known as the "barmaid's curse". That's because they were almost indistinguishable from a crown (5 shillings) and people used to pass them off as crowns in busy pubs. Now a shilling might not sound like much but back in the late 19th century it was basically a days wage for a barmaid. The confusion the coin caused meant it was only minted the four years from 1887 to 1890 before it was discontinued.

But I digress, the value these days is pretty much dependent on grade. They are not a rare coin and trade at silver in lower grades up to a few hundred dollars in UNC grades. No year is particularly more valuable than the other. The 1888 and 1889 coins do have a variety where the I of VICTORIA was an inverted 1 and that is worth a bit of money.

5. serial

serial Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

6. Trident

Trident Member Silver Stacker

I love the Double Florins. Would also love to see pics.
    A guide to condition, the high points are the V&A emblem within the queens brooch and the lace work on the front edges of the veil and high grade you can clearly see the creases of the silk dress. You'd need these details to be $100+ and good fields,edges and full lions faces to go higher..

7. short_stack68

short_stack68 New Member

This is just a normal florin, but some nice detail

[​IMG]