Does anyone out there insure their PMs?

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by bungo, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You're welcome Dynoman. In answer to your question, no, my place isn't like Fort Knockers :) a place like that just attracts attention. Just good locks, security screens, curtains and furniture arranged so that those that come to the front door can't see anything. Mobility & Camoflauge is your best defense not bright black and yellow stripes warning those to go away...that only attracts the 'bears'. And the moment I get nervous about the people walking around the streets in my neighbourhood, I'll be looking at a new rental property.

I'd bet the member with the highest risk of theft here is Mudgekko because of where he lives, he's probably got the best advice to give on this topic. I mean the little darlins' he has to deal with don't even break in to steal anything... just to trash the place!
    I'll drop him a PM and see if he wants to wade in :)

2. Dynoman

Dynoman Active Member

Poor Mudgecko, I live on the second story with only one stairwell & my Marksmen have that covered :)

3. Mud Gecko

Mud Gecko Active Member Silver Stacker

Okay I'll give you guys some tips, some may be useful, some maybe not. One of the good things about Darwin is most properties have 6 foot chain link fences all the way around the property, so rule number 1, always lock up, safes (guns and pms), doors and windows, and finally front gate.

Secondly, if possible get a dog. Even better get two dogs, most might find this funny but my chihuahua is the best watch dog, his hearing is incredible and his bark is ear piercing. My Amstaff looks mean as hell but hes a softy, anyone who doesn't know him won't go near him :)

Also try not to stand out. Don't leave expensive sporting equipment laying around etc, most break-ins are about opportunity, if your house looks much harder to break-in than your next door neighbours your less likely to be targeted. I've never had a break-in here (touch wood) and I have plenty of things worth stealing that people in the neighbourhood know I have (MX bikes etc) Look at your house and think like a thief. Where is it easy to get in without being seen? Are there windows that don't lock? Do the entry-exit doors have deadbolts so they can't be opened from the inside? Do you have a set of keys to the house or car laying around inside?

Be friends with your neighbours, everyone in my street looks out for each other, I have a pensioner living next door who is home all the time, being a self employed tradie I'm always coming and going from my house.

Last but not least, I know the topic was about PM's specifically, loose lips sink ships, don't tell anyone about your stack, they don't need to know. Putting yourself or your family in harms way because of an ego trip is just plain stupid.

Everything can be replaced except life. If your broken into during the day while your at work, be thankful. If you fear being broken into at night, be prepared. If it were me, I won't go down without a hell of a fight but I don't have kids to consider. Hope this helps.....

4. bungo

bungo Member

Interesting responses - thanks everyone.

I agree that the best safeguard against theft is not to be an easy target in the first place.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Common sense logic mate, nicely said.