Do those in debt find it hard to stack?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Lucky, Apr 5, 2012.

1. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

I know what you mean :cool:

2. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Only spends most of your disc. funds? You got a darn good wife there. :)

3. Black_Sun

Black_Sun New Member

I've just started to invest a tiny amount in some art-work similar (prefer not to say) to vintage posters. Most of the pieces are below $1000 each, but their value has gone up considerably over the last 10 years. So I arrived at the party late :/ However, its still a very niche field, and am only investing in limited edition, signed stuff. Unfortunately most SS can't afford in invest in Picasso or Monet. Its something very different to real estate, pms, shares, and so is another form of diversification.

4. Giodor8

Giodor8 Active Member

I think reach a realistic goal as far as ounces and then smash any loans or debt you may have. I have just reached my stack goal and will be putting most of my disposable income off debt now. A bit of a hedge but with a good safety net. :)

5. Byron

Byron Guest

In smaller amounts, certain artwork can be a good investment and can really spruce up your home decor, so good on you for doing so.

Just make sure you buy from reputable dealers as fakes abound eg Ronald Coles art dealer in Sydney that for years sold fake Norman Lindsays and the genuine ones he held on behalf of SMSFs went missing......

6. unfunkable

unfunkable Active Member

debt is not the word to look at ...cashflow is

you can have alot of debt and good cashflow and be able to stack

you can have alot of debt and bad cashflow and not be able to stack

you can have no debt and bad cashflow and not be able to stack

7. Black_Sun

Black_Sun New Member

Yes, there is also fraud in the space I'm buying. I spoke to the guy who's pretty much the world authority in this niche area before buying anything. Tred carefully... ha ha ha.

8. Silber

Silber Member

Those in debt obviously do not find it hard to stack: "Central banks pounce on falling gold" ( http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/4f9a6076-6f92-11e1-b3f9-00144feab49a.html ). OK, technically not correct, but couldn't resist ;)

I can not imagine to stack with debts, except, maybe, if it's a long-running credit with a small, fixed monthly payment. For me, the risk would be to high: Any unforeseen event could force you to sell your stack with a loss.

9. DoolBrevlis

DoolBrevlis Member

You make a point very well, my friend.
    I guess what it comes down to is you can be balls deep in debt, yet have more wealth than one that is free of loans.

Astonishing...

..though I'd prefer to be debt free and have not enough room in the safe, of course ;)

10. Ghost Story

Ghost Story Active Member

my plan is just to buy what i can afford to sit on for ever if that is 1 oz silver a week then that's ok, i learnt the hard way also that buying more than i can afford to sit on for ever is a plan to lose money.

so if i can buy 1 oz a week that's 52 Oz's a year 104 Oz's 2 years and i don't need to sell it its just there like a little bit of comfort.

i don't have much money or live the high life and struggle through, a saying comes to mind short term pain for long term gain.

some weeks i might get 2 or 3 Oz's and decided to have a week of "roughing it" its a long term thing now i tried the fast turn around silver trading and the only one making money was everyone but me :(.

so in short i just stack what i can afford to keep for ever!!

so one day it will be a lot of silver who knows how much it will be worth in 20 years but just from looking at charts long term it will always be going up with ups and downs in between but long term is up.

11. johnmorris

johnmorris Member

i've picked up a mid sized stack of 75% silver / 25% gold despite an albeit small mortgage debt - my current mortgage/equity ratio is now 20% as opposed to 70% when i first took out the loan some 5 years ago. i have the same feeling about the stack as when i bought the house - nervous/excited first, then accepting, then seeing the potential for locking in long term growth and building quality of life (took a photo of the lovely stack today, give it away as chrissie presents, partners jewelery, recently acquired kid birthdays etc) as well as financial gain - the silver/gold discussion here on this site has helped my economic outlook, so thanks all, even you SHTFers (have got my fair share of thrippences) !

i guess i fit in the middle between those who have no debt later in life, and those just starting off the mortage mule climb.

i see it as a 20k * 7% bet ($1500 a year) in lost mortgage payments that either the world economies are going to go the way of europe again, that the usa/china rebalance will see gold/silver become more important, or that the growing middle classes of the 2nd and third world will consume ever more gadgets that need silver/gold etc.

ive bet that much on first horses, then footy, cricket, elections and poker in a year, all far less secure with but a slip of paper in return.

so part of my 20k is 2k in a silver miner.

looking to put a smaller more specualtive amount into a startup gold or silver miner now that i feel more comfortable about all this - any hot tips ?

also thinking about setting up a property based self managed super, but a bit guilty that im skipping tax over many others - although i know many of you guys down on the tax idea. also i tend to agree that the property boom has been built on credit expansion, not confident the capitol growth model of property will be in the future what many older investors (and even well meaning financial advisers who are taking time to dealing with a less brave new world) have got used to in the past (sorry silver headed silver stackers!)

my first real long post (easter holidays this teacher got time to breathe), hope it useful to anyone else.

john

12. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

good ol uncle arthur :D

13. johnmorris

johnmorris Member

reckon my previous point aligns with giordor's, though his succient to greater strength

overall, agree has been a good thread

john