Do dents or scratches affect value?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by xag, Sep 21, 2012.

1. xag

xag Member

On collectable nice bullion like pamp and scottsdale?

2. Golden Boy

Golden Boy New Member

Coins I would say yes depending on extent, bars, probably each to their own a few imperfections adds character to a bar but thats just me.

3. KMGeneral

KMGeneral Member

I think that this sums it up nicely

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Yeah I reckon any premium you'd get for a pamp fortuna lady and the like would be wiped out with noticeably enough marks. ... the premium isn't that much in the context of things anyway.

5. travis777

travis777 New Member

It doesn't bother me on cast bars but I wouldn't want to pay a premium on minted bars and coins if they had an ugly scratch or dent.

6. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Even though undinged looks better I don't pay any different on stuff I buy. Silver is silver, gold is gold.

However, admittedly when I have the option of buying a dinged or undinged at the same price many times I grab the undinged - so may take slightly longer to shift if people have choices.

...but I don't buy "collectable" bars. Just whatever's available at the best price at the time I buy.

THIS sort of thing freaks me out though...

http://forums.silverstackers.com/message-380375.html#p380375

http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic-29190-brown-stain-on-proof-1-2oz-nugget-coin.html

7. Kawa

Kawa New Member

Try buying 10 oz Scottsdale stackers at present?

Not that easy.

8. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Only discovered these a few weeks after they discontinued them and have been on a mission to find as many as possible. BB did have some a while ago but bought them all up ;)

The slight scratches on the sides don't really bother me but have seen some straight from the manufacturer that I would definitely not buy. There'll always be someone out there who'll buy a dented or scratched bar but you would probably have to drop the price a little.

9. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I routinely 'pass' on damaged coins and bars. I've been offered plenty of discounted Kooks & Lunars because of rim knocks & scuffed mirror fields & always wonder what possessed someone to take it out of it's holder (before they dropped it that is) :/

I won't pay a premium on coins/bars that are in good condition, (that's how they should be) and know that others like me aren't intetested in damaged goods.

So fiddle with your bullion at your own risk.

10. mike titanic

mike titanic New Member

Generally,I avoid coins or bars with scratches and marks on them.I reject a fair amount of silver on e bay for this reason.With pamp bars or numis coins,I would pay a decent premium for pristine examples.Thats just me.I also avoid toned silver.For me to buy say a bar with scratches,I would have to get it at a good discount from spot.

11. Marsi

Marsi Member Silver Stacker

I really like heavy toned and dinged bars- especially the old loaf style Perth mint bars, paid a good premium for one recently. Also love that you can hold and play with them as you wish and not have to worry about reducing their value. Coins on the other hand i only purchase in mint condition unless they are 66 50's or the like. I buy a stack, only take one out to play with and the rest stay in their airtight capsules. With coins mint conditions usually carry a higher premium but not in all cases. Ps im only a newbie so my advice should not be taken as gospel. Happy stacking!

12. metalzzz

metalzzz Well-Known Member

don't see why anyone would care about the condition of a standard bar. got a few with scars and knocks, if the ounces are there its all good. Coins i would expect in mint condition though

13. ShadowPeo

ShadowPeo Member Silver Stacker

Numismatics yes, bullion as long as the weight is correct, I do not care so much, I agree, with the stacker bars, I need another 24 of them to complete that part of my stack

14. warrenworthingtoniii

warrenworthingtoniii New Member

I would agree with the above that I'd prefer to get less scratchy ones but would pay the same regardless, anyway as long as the bar or coin is still above spot price that's cool with me.