Dinner with our neighbours

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by PrettyPrettyShinyShiny, Jan 2, 2017.

1. PrettyPrettyShinyShiny

PrettyPrettyShinyShiny Well-Known Member

Last night, my gf and I were invited over for dinner with our neighbours of Sri Lankan descent for the first time. We've had over-the-balcony chats before, but this was our first invite over for tea.

Despite the huge age gap between us, we had quite a lot to talk about - we were all interested in travel which accounted for the bulk of the conversation. What I found interesting (and I didn't lead on too much myself) was how the discussion briefly weaved it's way over to gold and silver. The Sri Lankan and Indian cultures appear interesting to my western eyes and the dowry system even more so. We were discussing how the wealth of the family dictated the size of the dowry and how gold and silver were simply collected and stockpiled over a family's life often used as a dowry payment later -of course that's in addition to houses and cars and anything else of value they've amassed over the years. The topic of large denomination currency in India being confiscated also popped up. I just listened to hear what he had to say. He thinks it's all to do with eliminating drug money/corruption.

Sadly, towards the end of the evening, it felt as though they were trying to convince us to get into the property market - now of all times. :S I'm sure they were just trying to guide us with good intentions at heart.

Anyway, it was certainly an enlightening evening!

PPSS

2. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

They are big on property at the moment, particularly the outer western suburbs of Melbourne where several new estates are being built at an incredible pace.
    Have been watching over the last year, bridgefield, thornhill, woodlea and atherstone - all estates that have risen from nothing in the last couple years. It seems to be major overkill to me, but when new land and houses are being bought quickly at (or stupidly close) to asking price it makes you wonder.
    The majority of buyers seem to be Indian, sri lankan, Pakistani (hope that doesn't come across as racist) so they're either being marketed to these countries or they know something we don't.

There are certainly cheaper suburbs to live, so part of me wonders whether its a concerted effort to create a like minded community -

3. Skyrocket

Skyrocket Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

No mention of what you thought of Sri Lankan dinner?

I love Indian, Pakistan, Sri Lankan, ect food! But my bum don't like devils fire the next day.

4. PrettyPrettyShinyShiny

PrettyPrettyShinyShiny Well-Known Member

The food was awesome! We cook a lot of Indian at home ourselves without all the insane spice. Turmeric and cumin seeds are my best friends.

5. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Thankyou very much! :)

6. raven

raven Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Does turmeric thwart the onset of dimensia ?