Digging a Plug - the right method!

Discussion in 'Prospecting & Detecting' started by Auspm, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Auspm

Auspm New Member

I've done this a thousand times and more myself, but if you're new to the hobby, you might not be sure on the 'right way' to dig plugs when recovering targets in the park scene and WHY it's SO IMPORTANT that you do it right!

Whilst down at the beach and in the gold fields digging up targets doesn't really matter if you leave a gaping hole or not, in the park scene where grounds are kept and tended for, not following the correct process in digging plugs can land you in some pretty serious misery with park rangers & grounds keepers.

Whilst digging on crown land is perfectly legal, doing undue damage to grounds is not and whilst you're detecting your local suburban park, it's imperative you follow a good method for not only digging your plugs, but also for filling them in so as to leave the place as much like you found it as possible.

I've personally only been questioned by rangers on this once or twice in my time detecting and on both occasions once I showed them what I do was given the green light to continue detecting.

Bad detectorists who don't give a damn and leave dirty great holes over parks not only run the risk of being prosecuted by park authorities if caught in the action, but also damage the reputation of all detectorists and run the very real risk of having us banned from detecting in damaged parks, no matter who is at fault.

Just as if you were out camping in the wild, the best policy is to leave no footprint where you detect. The better you get at learning how to dig and fill a plug properly, the more likely you'll be welcomed back year after year to your favourite grounds to enjoy our hobby.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTDKXethwnk[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPlznK2BdR4[/youtube]

Any questions, please post below!

2. RhythmDoctor

RhythmDoctor Active Member

A very good resource Aus - I've got a young whippersnapper I'm training - this'll do him the world of good.

Thanks fella! :D

3. Squiggles

Squiggles New Member

What sort of gloves are being used in the bottom vid? I need to get a pair but cant find anything suitable.

4. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Worried about breaking a nail?

I dont wear gloves. They slow you down.

5. Squiggles

Squiggles New Member

lol, nah I'm thinking that I don't want to cut myself on a rusty old cat food lid or this that a non issue?

6. Dirtbikepilot

Dirtbikepilot Active Member

Here try this link.

http://www.blackwoods.com.au/part/06739368/gloves-nitrile-ultratech-foam-w9673b-l

We use gloves similar to this at work. they don't affect your dexterity but still offer the
    protection. There are a few similar sorts of brands

Protector alsafe have a huge range of gloves, including cut resistant. Check them out below.

http://www.protectoralsafe.com.au/browse/hand-protection/400000005

7. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Only kidding, of course you should consider sharp things. Needles especially. Lots more junk if your chasing coins or relics, or detecting around urban areas or old homesites.

Most of the gold detectorists Ive met dont wear them. Most targets are small. Sub-gram nuggets, bullets, shotgun pellets. Try and locate a pellet with gloves on, it will take a few minutes at least. In the meantime the ants are crawling on you. Oww...owww...oww! Also ants and other crawlies seem to like getting inside gloves while you are wearing them. I learned this the hard way....damn you jumping jacks!

Also adjusting settings with gloves on is impossible. on-off-on-off-on-off = slowing you down.

8. Dirtbikepilot

Dirtbikepilot Active Member

That's why you don't wear riggers gloves or boxing gloves for fine work ;)

The gloves I linked to above are form fitting and don't hinder finer handling skills.
    A lot of fitters/mechanics use them for this reason. Not all gloves are the same.
    Get what is appropriate for the task at hand. I have notices Dr's (surgeons)
    don't go bare handed and manage extremely fine work.

I reckon with my gloves on I could still rig up a fishing line, no problems.

9. Squiggles

Squiggles New Member

Thanks, I'll check them out.