Difference between bullion coins

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by hem9, Mar 1, 2011.

1. hem9

hem9 Active Member Silver Stacker

I was wondering if anyone can explain the difference in the price of bullion coins. In Apmex, ASE is currently 40.19, Maples are 39.90, kook 41.20 and Libertads 45.34. I know the difference between the cost of kooks compared to ASE and Maples are the holders and the finish. But what makes the Libertad higher than all the rest and what makes ASE more expensive Maples.

2. Slam

Slam Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You can add pandas into the mix too, they are more expensive.

Its all to do with elegance, design, rarity, numismatic, the production margins.

Pandas > Libertads > Lunars / Kooks > Britannias > Ardean Cat > ASE > Maples > quality generics (first majestic, Scottdales) > Buffalos > Generic 1oz bars.

Slam

3. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

Supply/demand. People willing to pay more for certain designs, hence price higher.

4. Photonaware

Photonaware Active Member

The price is set by the sellers' opportunity to profiteeer.
    I have been buying Libertads cheaper than almost every other coin except the Maple.
    I also bought in the last month a few hundred Eagles 2010 and 2011 at Maple prices before the ASEs rose significantly without reason.
    The Maple is most often the cheapest coin because it is not well stamped but is bought on its purity and weight.
    Consider it's value as a coin for future melting.
    The RCM 2011 Timberwolf ( nicer looking than the Maple ) was priced marginally higher than the Maple but is now selling for a much higher price. Probably because it has become scarcer.
    Another great value bullion coin is the Austrian Philharmonic.
    It is a super coin beautifully struck ( but it has a smooth edge and I prefer reeded ) and is frequently priced close to Maples except in Germany where it is a collectable coin.

Perth Mint coins, Britannias and Pandas are collectors coins and should increase in value faster than the other bullion coins.
    Rumour has it that ASEs will appreciate faster also as the USA runs out of its affordable domestic silver - a requirement for production of genuine ASEs.

5. adrenalin

adrenalin New Member