Diamond Rings

Discussion in 'Jewellery & Gems' started by mickjohn, May 7, 2012.

1. mickjohn

mickjohn New Member

Diamonds are frustrating me.
    There is no shortage of diamonds available, all shapes, sizes, cuts, colours and finishes that you could ever want.

The problem is, I do not understand why they are so expensive. I understand the scarcity (read controlled market supply) being justification, but it is not hard to find whatever you want. There is no practical use for diamonds as far as I am aware other than for body adornment and attempting to rectify relationship misdemeanours.
    I was told today by someone retailing diamonds and bullion that diamonds were a superior investment over gold and then used an example of someone using diamonds during a period of struggle to gather food/shelter for their family. 'Cant do that with anything else, can you?'. :/

I have seen some posts on here for different suppliers. I am aware of many vendors online whom retail these and offer worldwide shipping. There appear to be a lot of generic style rings available to set the stone in as well. I have noted the second hand market. It is hard for people to sell second hand rings etc so the prices are a little bit disconnected.

What I am wondering, if budgeting, will you get a better result if you purchase in the second hand market (with validated certification) and have the diamond re-set into a band of your discretion by a jeweller. I have checked out the Gold souks and bazaars in a few countries and prices seem fairly set with thanks to the rapaport pricing guide. I think that this affects the online retailers significantly as well.

2. Water&Food

Water&Food New Member

Keep away from diamonds for investment, whether 'new' or 'second hand'.

If you must quench your diamond fetish stick with lab synthetics, but as I mentioned, keep away from diamonds.

Diamonds have industrial use which far outweigh jewellery applications/use.

3. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

+1
    Don't
    Buy
    Diamonds

4. adrenalin

adrenalin New Member

Kim Kardashian has a $2 million diamond on her finger. Try lifting $2 mill worth of silver or gold with 1 finger.

[​IMG]

5. lucky luke

lucky luke Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

6. Spode

Spode Member

I was once told jewellers have a 700% mark up. No idea if its true. And with no real spot price, they will get tricky to sell. You also have to really understand diamOnds. Silver has a percentage purity and that is about it.

7. rick_au

rick_au Member

8. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

Its all about the 3 Cs Colour cut & clarity & not easy for an untrained eye to discern good from shit unless you have a trusted friend thats a very good jeweller i wouldnt buy them....but in saying that i think they are as good as investment as anything else & sometimes you can get a real bargain unlike PMs. Antique jewellry is your best bet if you want to take a punt.