Diameter of gold Libertad is off, kinda worried

Discussion in 'Gold Coins' started by Deniz, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Deniz

Deniz New Member

Hi All,

This is my first post :)
    I recently bought a 1 OZ gold Libertad from a respectable Dealer in Germany.
    i myself live in the Netherlands but i order some stuff from Germany because they have way more choice and better prices.
    However this week i bought a digital caliper and a scale and when measuring the diameter of the Libertad it reads only 34.35 MM.
    According to the specifics it should be 34.50. the thing thats go me worried is that all of my silver coins are max 0.02 MM off, so for example a silver philharmonice measures 36.98.
    im not sure if i have calibrated the caliper correctly but nonetheless there is a big difference between the silver coins and the gold Libertad.
    i didnt bother with measuring the thickness as this is kind of hard with the calipher. as for the scale i couldn't figure out the calibration so the weight was not correct however when compared to the silver Philharmonic they weigh about the same. I will visit a local dealer to have it checked out but i was wondering if this is normal and if some of you have experience with this kind of stuff?

Regards,

Deniz

2. DanielM

DanielM Active Member Silver Stacker

That's still seems like a tiny difference too me, best thing to do to assure your self is to get that thing on to an XRF, if you don't know anyone that has one laying around their garage then probably ring a few dealers in your area, some might charge some might not

3. Deniz

Deniz New Member

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your reply, i will definitely do that

4. 1ozTrOy

1ozTrOy New Member

If the weight is correct is approximately the same as the silver then wouldnt worry about it.
    Both of those measuring devices are very easy to use. First get yourself familiarize with them to make it easier down the road.