Dedicated POS machine

Discussion in 'Digital Currencies' started by ParanoidAndroid, Dec 18, 2017.

1. ParanoidAndroid

ParanoidAndroid Well-Known Member

Hi all, was just wanting to know people's thoughts on a system dedicated to POS coins.

I realize you don't need the grunt of miners rigs and from research it would appear you can get by with a fairly basic, low end spec machine. The main issue being permanent connection to the net.

Eveything in the house is connected to the wifi including a laptop, phones, two TV's and tablet so I never bothered looking too hard into staking coins.

So the questions are is there a minimum spec standard, and regarding security for the wallets is the there a preferred firewall/antivirus/malware program etc that should run in the background while staking?

The idea is that the machine would be a dedicated POS machine and won't be used for anything else.

Thanks for any info.

2. BuggedOut

BuggedOut Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think it depends on the coin and it's node software, but POS is usually not too resource intensive.

When I was looking at Masternodes it was the Raspberry Pi which was in the frame. Very inexpensive way to go, just set it up and plug it into an ethernet port next to your permanently connected router and you could probably forget that it's there.

ParanoidAndroid likes this.
  3. dozerz

dozerz Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

look at the lowest power option and cost, some kind of low profile dell that you can rdp into. these units can also run your masternode wallet if your network is not great and have vps for the main node.

ParanoidAndroid likes this.
  4. ParanoidAndroid

Thanks guys. Much appreciated. I'm heading out and plan on getting something in the next day or two.

I quizzed some guys while looking at systems recently and was surprised nobody in the IT departments knew what I was talking about, though they were all up to date on machine specs etc. This was in three different major electronics retailers.

I have a good connection but sometimes it can slow up a bit if netflix or youtube are being accessed on two devices while also downloading torrents etc.

I have NBN option to our street just recently so might be worth looking into that.

5. Brendio

Brendio Active Member

You could also look into a VPS at a data centre and let someone else worry about your uptime. You can get some low spec ones for $5/month.

6. BuggedOut

BuggedOut Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yes, that's something I looked at too. Certainly some benefits with uptime and maintenance but I was concerned about security. Normally you need to store your private keys with the POS node and I'd be wary of storing too much value with private keys on a server hosted by someone else.

7. reaver

reaver Active Member

If it's connected to the internet - whether its hosted by someone else or in your own bedroom it's still just as vulnerable.
    If you're worried about security, look into firewalls such as psSense.
    Beside that, it's a game of availability and geographic-redundancy.

8. ParanoidAndroid

So I finally got around to buying a new pc strictly for staking and have just started to stake some Ark (which is now worth a lot less than a few days ago) Haha.

Conveniently, or otherwise, with this massive sell down it's made the running of a full node closer to being affordable.

Is anyone looking at or already doing this? If so any suggestions on some of the smaller caps to look into?

9. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Two events worth thinking about that could cause ETH to outperform BTC.

1. Somewhere like China bans bitcoin mining because of the environmental footprint
    2. Ethereum switches from POW to POS

Perfect storm for the flippening.

10. ParanoidAndroid

Agreed.

I was advised quite some time ago by someone far more knowledgeable than me to look into POS projects. Back then I just didn't see myself this far down the rabbit hole. But here I am. POS or a variant of would appear to be the future.

No idea where the bottom of all of this will be but I'd like to try to find some affordable dimonds in the rough to run full masternode.

11. ParanoidAndroid

Ignore the above query. I just noticed Leo's thread about the very same topic.
    Cheers.

12. dozerz

dozerz Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

not sure ark is a pos coin? only the top staker delegates are able to stake and you can earn by voting for them, works in a similar way to lisk. i have suggested some pos coins in leo's thread.

13. ParanoidAndroid

You're right. I should have said I've set up tbe Ark wallet and voted a delegate. Remains to be seen how productive it is.

Checked out the list and appears the cost to host a node are out of reach unless I want to dump everything into one or two cryptos, or sink a significant amount more into the space which I'm not that keen on at this point.

Thanks for the POS list link.