Debt Levy

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by dagsgarrett, Apr 27, 2014.

1. doomsday surprise

doomsday surprise Active Member Silver Stacker

That was way before 'globalisation' .
    Corporate entities rule the world now. Until the whole world has a reset and we all live within our means nothing will change.

2. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

We just spent 6 years watching what happens to a nation's finance when the Prime Minister and treasurer have no private sector experience and a gang of shop stewards were put in charge of treasury. Like him or not Abbott has a degree in economics. If he chooses to destroy his trust with the electorate and kill his political career with this budget then perhaps we should take pause and ask ourselves what would an economist fear badly enough to sacrifice his own Prime Ministership for when he could take the Labor way out instead, make the punters happy and let the country continue to slide towards a credit rating downgrade and spiralling interest repayments. He is not a stupid man by any means, there is a lot more to this decision that meets the eye.

3. AngloSaxon

AngloSaxon Active Member

Amazing Labour stand by complaining about a new tax on "low income people" (even when it is written to be taking from the well off). Yet they stand in opposition to repeal of the carbon tax that directly hurts low income people and does nothing for them.

Nice hypocrisy.

As well established I would like no tax on anyone. But we need to pay for the lunatic spending spree of the greatest treasurer in the universe and need to take our medicine for voting such a bunch of incompetents twice into government.

4. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Exactly. What they should have done was figure out how much extra the carbon tax would end up costing those poor people in price increases and then reducing their income tax by that amount or perhaps even a little bit more. That would have been affordable due to the extra revenue coming in from the carbon tax itself, so for ordinary people everything would balance out and the only ones affected would be the big polluters who could use cleaner energy to avoid paying the tax.

If only someone had thought of doing that...

5. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You assume they wanted to think of something like that.

6. Ghost Story

Ghost Story Active Member

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISZVemy5hc0[/youtube]

7. Court Jester

Court Jester Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Dont forget the $6 co GP payent to take that medicine.

8. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

So an ideological Greens tax that achieved nothing but economic hurt is OK, but an effective austerity tax to repair the mess is not OK? :/

9. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Imagine a new paradigm that doesn't require 4% annual growth using finite resources and dumping the waste into our water and air.

10. Ghost Story

yeah and destructive farming methods that are turning our soil in to dirt, producing food that is killing us and our oceans.

11. Shaddam IV

The primary purpose of that levy isn't actually the money it would raise, it is to try and unclog the system of the large numbers of people who habitually and regularly attend GP's because they are bored, lonely or hypochondriac. It's an imperfect world, it's sad that people are in that position but it is a big burden on the Medicare system just as are the people who present at hospital emergency rooms with colds and sprains who should be going to GP's.

Choose your outcome - leave the system as it is and let those people continue to overload the system and eventually bring it to a point where it fails altogether, or make it harder for them to abuse the system and thus to be able to keep the system working for longer. Neither path is ideal, both of them will make people suffer, I guess which one you choose depends on your ideology.

12. Ghost Story

from my experience its the Dr's who abuse the system, oh come back in a week see how that colds doing they want people doing the Dr loop dance, I sure don't want to be at the Dr's could think of a million better places to be, blood sucking is another money spinner, its the Dr's who want us sick, and the western lifestyle big drug companies flogging their drugs, supermarkets that sell food that make us sick.

human beings have gone in under 100 years from growing their own food to eating crap from supermarkets that's killing us and our bodies have not evolved to eat what we're eating.

so if you like blame the endless chase of consumer stuff on poor health, the endless need of $'s and useless stuff that's killing us and we don't know how to get of the merry go round and get back to a healthy lifestyle, of working to grow our food when shtf people won't know how to look after themselves.

who knows how to kill a beast or grow their own food I would hesitate to guess 90% of people would die if the supermarkets shut and 90% of people will die if they don't.

its hard not to get caught up in it all even for people that like me know what I am doing is not helping me its just easy to go buy crap its everywhere, so I am not casting judgment on others I do it too, what I am saying is lets be aware of what's really going on.

13. Shaddam IV

That's a major problem, I agree that most illnesses are caused by lifestyle, and we do indeed "dig our graves with our teeth".

It's the reason really that there is no real solution to our current economic and social and welfare issues - We are poisoned by our habits and addictions and expect someone else to bear the cost of our self harm. It's the Western Human condition and it's pulling us under. As long as it's easy and enabled to sit on our butt smoking, eating Cheetos and washing them down with Pepsi while playing with a Playstation we will continue to decline as a species. Nature will take care of it eventually I guess.

14. Ghost Story

yep start with a little garden grow a tomato not southern states now to cold but you get the drift, growing plants is good for the soul :D

[​IMG]

15. Yendor

Yendor Member

Is this anyone else's experience? Outside of work medicals, I've been to the doctor three times in the past decade. Twice were because I needed a sick note for Uni/Work (which you can now get from a pharmacist), and the third was broken ribs. Even with broken ribs the doctor told me I DIDN'T need to come back, unless it wasn't improving in a weeks time.

In the past 100 year, the life expectancy has gone from 47 - 75, a 60% increase (that's for a white man, women and other ethnicities have done even better in percentage terms). Yes, there is heaps of shit out there, but it's still better than what we could do by ourselves at the turn of last century.

16. Shaddam IV

I have a customer who has a dental practice in Sydney. I will not say where so I don't stereotype any location. He is extremely unhappy and is considering moving his surgery. He tells me that a huge number of his patients come in with a doctor's certificate stating that they have a chronic illness and once and therefore they get all of their dental work for fee on the public purse. He knows that the GP's in the area tell their patients: If I write you a form saying that you have a "chronic condition" you can present at the dentist and have your dental work paid for by the government. He says it's a complete rort of the system and he is disgusted.

17. Ghost Story

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOAgplgTxfc[/youtube]

check out his full course if I had the cash would have studied here but now I can do it free :)

18. Ghost Story

dental health care plan was scraped at the end 2012 by the labor gov.

19. Shaddam IV

That was about the time that he told me about it, glad to hear that it's been stopped. It does raise another question though - So much illness is caused by bad dental hygeine. It should ideally be a part of Medicare but that's never going to happen.

20. Ghost Story

yes agree with that in the way that modern drugs have helped people who have a genetic disease that will kill them, and medical procedures that save their lives, these people are now living longer and are the people who others on here are whinging about looking after as in paying them a pension medical bill's etc.. so maybe they should let them die so others can keep their money that is what all this whole debate has been working up too the liberal philosophy that you got yourself in the mess you get yourself out.

that's the reason the liberal ideology is not about people its about money spin it anyway you want libs look after the rich and only rich people deserve to live, and that's why they will never get my vote ever they value money over human life.

for me this topic has ended with the truth and the absolute inhumanity of any person who follows a liberal philosophy of one human life is worth more than another, shame on you.