Damned if you do... damned if you don't

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Mark, Jan 2, 2011.

1. popcorn

popcorn Member

You don't own the house, the government owns it, unless you have claimed it.

2. malachii

malachii Well-Known Member

Sorry - not sure what you mean??

malachii

3. Dabloodymess

Dabloodymess Active Member

Out of my good mates who know of my stacking they all see the positives to it, and if they think I am a nutter they keep it to themselves :)

Only one other friend of mine has bought physical metals (although suprisingly after seeing one of my 1966 50cent pieces another claimed to have a sack full stashed away, though he didnt know the value :p). I always get a bit nervous when someone follows advice/guidance I have given when $$$ are at stake, but he did all his own research (at my urging) and still bought.

In the end I dont really care what anyone else thinks about my decisions, though I know for a fact that soon my family will start hassling me to look at buying a property, which is the last thing I want to do... I might just leave the country instead :)

4. Terry88

Terry88 Member

Been a bit,luckier. Although most people think I've gone nuts stacking silver. I have q collegue who also stacks so we have a chat about the latest in silver when we go and grab a coffee. Birds flock together. That's why I love this forum so much.

5. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It's not spiteful Mark...you've done your bit to help, just from now on keep quiet about it, it's just easier that way, TRUST ME :)

If they want to know more they'll come to you (of course, it'll be too late by then). It also helps to leave fishing tackle around the house, or if you like, a few used syringes and that'll stop 'em wondering where you spend your money! ...and if that's not enough tell 'em you're into under-age asian hookers...that generally ends the conversation for me :) Strangely it's still considered less wierd than stacking PM's!

6. popcorn

popcorn Member

As I understand it, we only have the equitable interest, but not the ownership/proprietary right. Anything that you register at gov office does not belong to you anymore including your children and marriage. Yes you can call me a conspiracy theorist. I would be more than happy if you can prove me wrong. Write to relevant government office or minister and ask if the property you think you own, does actually belong to you or not (it might even be part of crown land).

7. Savige Silver

Savige Silver New Member

My advice is let others find out for themselves and keep your own counsel unless the other person is a long and trusted friend or family member. One of my friends who I spoke to went out and bought 10 x 5kg bars and I nearly freaked because I felt responsible for his financial well being but so far it's all good.

8. malachii

malachii Well-Known Member

What the Government "could" theorectically do and what could be done practically are 2 different things. They can compulsarily aquire pretty much anything they want - including your PMs - but if they would is a totally different matter.

However I dont think this is any reason to not invest in property - there are plenty of other reasons at the moment from my perspective - I cant say that this one even rates on my list at this stage.

malachii

PS Anyone who thinks they actually own the property - stop paying rates for a year or so and see who really owns the dirt patch you call yours!

9. Mark

Mark New Member

Sorry guys... was feeling a bit frustrated when i started this thread. I was actually starting to wonder if i was doing the right thing, but now i'm convinced i am.

I have always had the tin foil hat label anyway so nothing new there lol.

But your right... i think im on the eight ball compared to family and friends and for now on i won't tell them to much.

I'll tell them i bought an ounce of pot... because stacking is a bit like drugs... i am officially addicted :p

Once everyone around me starts talking about PM's i will sell my stack to them... at a fair price lol

10. Cinvalo

Cinvalo Member

Mark you might use different approach to convince people into the gold and silver market. some topic you might talk about 1st includes
    You have to talk about it in a well defined structure. I am sure it works because i have almost 100% no trouble convincing my friends and family and they are very interested in knowing too.

Dont talk about the metal 1st, to get them into interested and into the fundamental you might talk about :
    1) Money and Currency.
    2) Inflation and deflation, you may want to talk about price of commodity going up and the value of our currency is going down.
    3) Why the economy grows and why it crashes.
    4) Monetary history (e.g. 1971 President Nixon took the US dollar off the gold standard, 1930 Great Depression)
    5) Current Economic outlook (e.g. QE2, G20, Greece crisis, US sub prime mortgage, China effects, Currency Trade War)

Then into the fun part.

5) Battle of ages. ( Hidden war which is ongoing throughout history Battle between hard money and fiat currency )
    6) Silver demand and supply
    7) Silver industrial usage and is not economical to recover, possible the 1st element to be off the periodic table by 2020.
    7) Gold Chart and Silver Chart

The most exciting part
    8) How you MIGHT be able to purchase cheap real estate

I suggest you to convince people , don't give up, it is simple. The more people you wake up, they will get into the silver market too and drive the price even higher. And the more you talk to people about it, the better fundamental you have.
    Good Luck.

11. chimpanchu

chimpanchu New Member

The best thing to do is teach them what inflation is. You'll be surprised most sheeples don't even know what inflation is...

Ask them why do goods and services price go up every year? Ask them what the cause of it. Chances are they won't be able to give a correct answer. You can start there.

12. Mark

Mark New Member

Honestly i don't know a lot about the economy or investing other than what i have seen from doco's about the FIAT system and the fact that i know inflation is rising and i know the USD is losing value. It just feels right to be protecting some money in PM's.
    So educating people about something i'm not all that educated with seems pointless.

I thought i had learn't a lot in the lead up to purchasing some silver, but trying to explain why i bought silver to someone seems very difficult lol.

I do find that i am developing an interest in economics now i have bought some silver. Is there an "economics for dummies"?

13. Free market

Free market New Member

Anything by Peter Schiff is good - How an economy grows and why it crashes
    Harry S Dent on demographics and the great depression ahead.
    Milton Friedman - books by him
    Naked Economics is a good book to help understand

The gold silver book by Mike Maloney has a lot of resources at the back recommended, too.

14. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I don't bother anymore. I told the ones who matter and they 'really must buy some...." .
    Very few people wish to make decisions that have consequences of further action or thought.

15. THUCYDIDES79

THUCYDIDES79 New Member Silver Stacker

Just read this article below

its called;

Fractional Reserve Banking as Economic Parasitism
    A Scientific, Mathematical, & Historical Expose, Critique, and Manifesto

Link below

http://129.3.20.41/eps/mac/papers/0203/0203005.pdf

Your convictions will become like a rock.

16. silvertop

silvertop Member

And have a read of 'The Richest Man in Babylon'. A financial investor friend I have, who is kinda like a mentor to me, retired at 43. He urged me to read that book to get an understanding of the reasons why we invest, then make it a lifestyle. And if any of your friends/family are switched on enough to listen to you, then good for them. Just remember that if a person scrutinizes you, they might just be testing your conviction and may actually be interested.

Good advice is free when you ask the right people.

17. Fe Mike

Fe Mike New Member Silver Stacker

Hi All
    Apart from being laugh out loud funny, Eat The Rich by PJ O'Rouke gives a surprisingly good grounding in Global Economics. "Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. "
    Any PJ fans out there?

18. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yes. Love PJ O'Rourke - very funny and very intelligent!

I found Wikipedia has almost all the content of Richest Man in Babylon on line for anyone interested.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richest_Man_In_Babylon

Some fine advice indeed.

Took me years to discover this:
    " Algamish explained that if Arkad spends all his earnings then it means that he labored for the merchants and not for himself. If he would keep one tenth of his earnings and didn't spend it no matter what, then it would grow. When these savings have accumulated, it will be the time for him to invest it, to make his wealth work for him."

If only better teachers had better explained compound interest to me - but I'm not sure the young listen since you need to get older to understand what you don't know.

19. Mark

Mark New Member

Thanks for the book references

I looked online today for the peter schiff book "How an economy grows and why it crashes", but as usual the bookshops don't have any. might just order it from amazon like i did mike maloneys book

will keep my eyes open PJ O'Rouke

Thanks for the link to "richest man in babylon".. was curious about this book before.

as for the link Thucydides79 posted... read a bit.. had a brain fart and then closed it. bit over my head i think lol

20. Mark

Mark New Member

I listened to the complete audio book of "the richest man in babylon" and i think the fact that i am getting into physical PM's made this book even more awesome since it talks about gold and silver as money. I also found a hard cover version of the book at QBD book store today which was cheaper than the soft cover.

Also at the book store i got a copy of Robert Kiyosaki's book "Conspiracy of the rich: the 8 new rules of money"

$37 for both... cost of a kook :)

Money well spent i think