Current silver price is the average silver price of 2008

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Pirocco, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

That's 10 years ago.
    In meantime, general prices didn't rise that much. My supermarket bread and cheese still costs what it costed then.
    The highest price in 2008 was $21, the lowest was $9.
    The highest price in 2018 so far was $17.50, the lowest so far $15.20.
    The 2018 peak so far sat $3.5 under the 2008 peak.
    The 2018 bottom so far sat/sits(now) $6.20 above 2008 bottom.

Now this is my theory:
    An explanation for this lower 2018 peak may be that people that bought learnt lessons and refuse to buy as high as in 2008.
    One can now assume that people that sold also learnt lessons, and thus refuse to sell lower than in 2008, in a same degree.
    Thus, that the 2018 bottom will be the 2008 bottom + $3.5, being $9 + $3.5 = $12.5.
    That's again quite close to that predicted bottom here and there on this forum.
    It does have some basis.

Of course, this is a theory about human behaviour, influenced by many elements, even total irrelevant ones, and what others say.
    But this forum is now only visited by 3 sheep and a horse, so one can safely assume that the rest of the people in the world aren't informed, and thus will be willing to sell at $12.5 or $13.
    Don't say it further folks!

boneyard likes this.
  2. whay

whay Well-Known Member

3sheep1horse.JPG

3. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

4. Pirocco

Nah, they saw an excuse to suspend their work, and grabbed it with all hands and feet.
    Then their boss came and put it an end on it.

5. sgbuyer

sgbuyer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

This might be a Belgium or European thing, but the price of bread and 100% fresh milk (don't take cheese so I didn't really notice) has gone up by at least 20% since 10 years ago. Fresh milk mostly come from Australia/NZ and are highly sought after by the Chinese. Anything sought after by the Chinese, including oz and vancouver properties, will be inflated over the last 10 years. For some reason, fresh milk also seems to be more watery nowadays or am I imagining? Do they add water to milk?

Given the sovereign debt crisis in southern europe, it might be possible that food inflation is much more tapered in the EU as compared to the rest of the world.

Oh, I forgot, the price of infant formula milk has gone up by more than 50% since 10 years ago. 50% maybe on the low side, possibly 70% or more.

6. Pirocco

Bread 800 gr (supermarket): 0.72 euro
    Cheese, old, 300 gr: 1.99 euro.

The prices today are still these.
    Things have been more expensive, for varying periods.
    For ex, I think 3 months ago, the cheese became 2.09 euro.
    But it only lasted 3 weeks.
    The bread never changed.

I might be a bad inflation reference though, because my life is Simpsons, bread and cheese is all I eat haha.

7. reaver

reaver Active Member

I suppose it's true that the prices on a lot of goods have stayed more or less the same. However, it feels like more money is leaving the wallet at the register as time goes on. Getting the feeling that inflation is being gauged by the stuff you don't need and is being pumped into the stuff you do.

I don't cheese and not very much bread.

8. Pirocco

Place it in the context:
    A silver price movement of $15 to $17 is +13%.
    A cheese price increase of $1.99 to $2.09 is +5%.
    A deposit intrest rate of 2% is required for 6 years to compensate for the former, and for 2.5 years for the latter.
    The reason for the latter is that people drop spending on stuff they don't need, and cannot drop for stuff they do need.
    And of course the central planning thieves and their buddies that frontrun you in purchasing it. Of course only valid for stuff that doesn't perish, or slow enough, alike houses.