Creating a Custom ring.

Discussion in 'Jewellery & Gems' started by 10ozhound, May 3, 2014.

1. 10ozhound

10ozhound Active Member

Hello stackers,
    I have my grandfathers 18k gold wedding ring which I would like to remake into something, well, less like a wedding band.

I want to add more weight to it, I have a basic idea of the design I would like but am not the best at putting it on paper accurately.

The jewellers Ive delt with try to steer me towards their second hand gents dress rings which is as annoying as it is common.

Any one here able to discuss the process and assist in deciding wether it is indeed a practical way of reusing an aireloom, easier perhaps to start from scratch or were the salesmen right all along.

2. ShinyStuff

ShinyStuff New Member

Clearly u want to use the gold as to it's sentimental value, no prob. But there is always some loss of gold as there is filing and drilling and it is powdered and mixed with timber and is brushed up. That is normal.

The reason why the jeweller steers to ready made is usually they are cheaper, that is what experience will tell him that customers want. In my experience, most don't want to pay for the same gold as it requires local manufacture, which adds somewhat to costs.

Pm for an honest jeweller at Miranda.

Shiny

3. boston

boston Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Timber?

Care to elaborate?

4. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Remodelling heirloom jewelry seems to be the bread & butter work of domestic jewlers these days. So it shouldn't prove a problem.

Apart from their own custom pieces, most of the 'new' stuff sold in jewelry stores these days comes from overseas where the wages are FAR lower.

5. humbolt

humbolt Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

bench pegs you work on are wood usually beech you rest your work on it to file/shape etc :)
    goes in the jar/drawer as lemel/sweeps usually gets sold on to a refiner at some stage

6. Hawk

Hawk Member

Several years ago I had a wedding ring which had become so tight it had to be cut off, plus some older signet rings that were just laying around.
    I had the idea that a personal ring incorporating a unit( military )cuff link would look neat. I took the idea to a jeweller. talked it over and went ahead.
    Well pleased with the result, never see another one like it, just make sure you get a quote up front, as there is a lot of work involved.

7. torresjewel

torresjewel New Member

Hello, i am really taking more interest in jewellery and now after read this post i have an more information about different jewellery to create many rings.

8. torresjewel

torresjewel New Member

hello, here i will see a new creative ideas to made custom diamond ring actually i get this information for me to bring it for a best shop of jewelry.