Country living-stacking?

Discussion in 'Other Investments' started by Cain, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Cain

Cain New Member

So, as you know, most modern equipment in agriculture requires gas, but quite a bit of the "not so old" stuff doesn't. A steel plow requires nothing but a horse [I advise not using a paint for this, the only horse really for this stuff is Bulgarians, Clydesdale, Draft Horses], or a jack or mule. So, I have been looking up steel plows, and I mean, if it came to it, you can always make one [would be really crude if I did lol, I'd be in for trouble].

Also, a windmill is a great idea, because they generate power, same for a water mill [actually want to talk to dad about making a water mill for us, just for looks, but would still work if it came to it]. Of course, if we're at a point where the normal individual is growing his/her own food, I doubt they'll be growing wheat, cause wheat has a few processes that have to be done. I would personally just grow a LOT of cucumbers, water melons, corn, and green beans. Also, tree orchards would be a good idea, but that has to be for the long-term. Apple trees, pear trees, etc. They take a bit to grow.

Basically, I'd be stacking a steel plow, a few animals [donkeys/mares are the best combination in my opinion], a few things of seed [don't need many, cause once you start growing just take the seed from a few plants and you will have plenty], and if your like me, I'd be finding me a wife [or husband whichever your looking for] that knows how to make a well, cause I have yet to figure out how my dad knows this crap lol.

Must Have Items: Steel Plow

2. iceblue

iceblue Well-Known Member

A bull will pull a plough, and join your cow so you have milk and meat.
    A windmill will pump water, we still use them, but for power you need a wind turbine.
    A few animals is a lot of animals when it comes to feeding,if you have to buy in supplement foods it can work out very costly.
    Not all seeds will sprout again unless you start with an organic variety, most of the seeds these days have been gmo to be sterile if you let a plant go to seed.
    Yes you will need a wife as she will have to look after everything else while you work sun up to sun down.
    Even small farms are a lot of work.

3. Tacrezod

Tacrezod Member

Reminds me of this amateur farmer's attempt a improvising a tractor. F/F to 8 minutes....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD9Qy-aHnOM[/youtube]

4. iceblue

:lol::lol: Ripper vid.

5. Ag

Ag Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I would add rabbits to my animal collection. They breed very quickly and provide meat,leather,pelt's and company.

Likely to act as a type of 'watch dog' in a cage with excellant hearing and smell

6. scone

scone Active Member Silver Stacker

do they keep watch over your stack? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcxKIJTb3Hg

7. Cain

Cain New Member

A bull? Have you ever had to deal with a pull during the season, or even off-season? Your insane lol.
    Yes, but if you buy grain straight from the mill, your more then likely going to be given that choice, unless it's a real small operation.
    Yep, I'd hope I could find a woman I would be halfway suitable with, be bad if I died of "mysterious causes" later in the marriage.

8. Cain

Cain New Member

The only question I have for that is, what is that video for?

How does it remind you of that?

9. Nitro

Nitro Member Silver Stacker

The girlfriend used to have a bull (limosin) and she could lead him round the place like a dog.
    Dunno about when the cows were in season.
    She did that from a very young age tho, which is no doubt why she could do it when he was big

10. iceblue

Yep Boss calls me the bull whisperer! I pat the bulls on the head, except 1, i always fight with him. The field days ( modern ag machine expo) usually have a bullocks there with an old plough and anyone can have a shot. Hand reared bulls are very easy to look after. Nice quiet dairy cow easy to look after as well, i have a favorite cow also.
    Big or small operation you dont want to buy in food, other options are cropping,silage and hay. So if you do a crop of oaten hay, they will keep their condition when the grass dies off, the oats will keep them warm thru winter so they dont strip weight and you dont have mill and transport costs, just seed and harvest.
    Small farms are harder to manage at low cost, turn out / turnover is usually the key, bring in livestock for as long as you can carry them, get rid of them or eat them before they cost you.
    Also be prepared to play VET, after a few vet bills you will be more than ready to stick your arm all the way up a cows butt , save some bucks and buy metal.