Copper once more to look at

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by copperhead, Mar 24, 2018.

1. copperhead

copperhead Active Member

My best PM love is Silver then Gold
    Copper is my pet project Wile I find it free , storing is unglamorous.
    yet if one was to store clean #2 copper in buckets with lids , that is a storage of wealth
    at a very low original purchase cost ( found free ) but to have like $90,000 in copper you need around
    40,000 pounds wile it's density is decent for size I figure about a 3 car garage is needed using my intuitive visualization and not mathematical physics ( if you know the space needed let me know )
    I'd figure if you had 40,000 pounds of copper you could get more $$ then scrap yards pay but to get to market is not a good plan for old age unless you have some strong and trusted friends .

2. Ian Gillman

Ian Gillman Active Member

It looks like you are in the USA, check your pocket change. Any penny dated 1981 or earlier is 90% copper. Also, any nickel (except for the silver ones) are about 75% copper. It is a great way to build up some copper and, if it does not work out, it is all still worth face value. With the pennies, if it is 1982 then it may or may not be copper. The copper ones weigh slightly more and make a ringing noise when you bounce them on a hard surface.

3. copperhead

copperhead Active Member

Yes for those who are willing to sort the pennies definite profit on E Bay I go for copper from trashed consumer goods
    wire , I buy $200 per year of copper bullion each year , then say Never again will do that ,
    well i just bought 100 ounces of copper in the form of 5 ounce buffalo's

https://www.goldenstatemint.com/5-oz-buffalo-copper-bullion-round.html

$100 bucks more to go and never any more , I will say
    One day I'll sell my copper collection
    it's an interesting collection I should take some pictures

4. copperhead

copperhead Active Member

http://www.macrotrends.net/1476/copper-prices-historical-chart-data

This chart I found interesting 1960"s as a child .25 purchased slice of pizza by the 1970's .50 a slice
    Pizza is not the item to judge by per say
    but a pound of copper now and 1960's and any year forward was always able to buy you a meal on the cheap
    more copper more money = real purchase power exceeding fiat cash Copper is the same now and then
    cash is inflated . 60's 70's 80's 90's copper was all over Old Gutters - All homes used copper - appliances had more CU then then now
    Lets go back more
    The Price-Fixing of Copper 1900's agreements between participants of the copper market to sell commodity at a fixed price,
    (yes they did that )

By 1917, the price of copper had reached 35 cents per pound
    • a loaf of bread: 7 cents
    • a dozen eggs: 34 cents
    • a quart of milk: 9 cents
    • a pound of steak: 26 cents
    Electricity's first massive use start was 1892 & not all of America or the world yet
    so I figure it was harder to just find laying about as now it was probably kinda rare to find

https://money.usnews.com/money/pers...1/02/a-glimpse-at-your-expenses-100-years-ago

http://inflationmonkey.blogspot.com/2012/05/copper-price-is-as-expensive-as-it-was.html

After all my research my newly discovered view of copper is , it's not practicable to keep tons around for the value
    but it is all over and a monetary gift to those who know how to process it as an on going cash flow .
    Based on current appliance copper content (LOW) being made now
    copper in old appliances (high)
    in the end it will dry up .
    i'd say 30 to 50 years copper bullion will have it's day , if I'm around I got some bars to sell Ha Ha .

5. Jim4silver

Jim4silver Well-Known Member

I see people buy copper rounds at the coin store and wonder if they ate lead paint chips off the walls as children.

6. Ian Gillman

Ian Gillman Active Member

The problem with copper is that we have a lot of it and the recycling industry for it is in full swing. This means that it will always have a healthy supply either from new sources or from recycled ones. I have some copper rounds (I got some free when I designed one) and a few copper bars but I am not expecting much from them when it comes time to sell them.

spannermonkey likes this.
  7. Jim4silver

I mean buying many tubes at once for investment purposes. Not buying some for novelty, etc. like you did.

8. copperhead

copperhead Active Member

Funny truth to this compared to all other ways to invest.
    $20 will buy 20 ounces of shinny copper or 1.25 pounds about $3 utilizing a fast scrap yard sale...... Day in , Day out , or sell on E bay one coin at a time $2.50 that will take a year to sell so for all purposes 20 coins is a loss of $17
    But it is a real $3 that will follow the market up or down So if you trust the market with your life, Owning a REAL $3 Commodity has a truth to it .
    I have 1/10 gold that was purchased at $114 and when I see the current price of $147 I feel good yet true value to sell NON E-Bay
    Gold and silver shops have told me they would pay $102 per 1/10 so not there yet .
    For now 1/10 @ $147 with a $45 dollar loss to Own a Commodity .
    Sliver ...... a loss and Owning a Commodity .
    I'm passed the the story's of SHTF that fueled many a Stacker with Dreams like " I'll have the real money " But just saying if the SHTF
    and as stability came back having 300 pounds of copper would cause no harm in your life
    A $20 per week investment is about 64 pounds per year there are worse things to spend money on .
    Same money about 57 ounces of silver and thats why I'm a member of Silver Stacker Forum

9. Jim4silver

I think a troy ounce of copper is worth 20 cents US or thereabouts? That would mean at $1 US I would be paying 5 x its melt value. I buy silver for $1 to 2 over its value per troy oz. here, or about 7-14% over melt.

Copper is one metal that is rarely discarded here in the US. Not only recycled by legit folks, many drug addicts/criminal types in the US like to call themselves "scrappers", and go around stealing copper pipes and such out of abandoned? structures and also steal copper wire where they strip off the outer coverings and sell the copper inside. They must make $$$ doing this because it constantly is going on.

Copper is far more plentiful than silver, so I don't think you will ever see its price rise over 10 fold like silver did from early 2000s to 2011. If someone was that bullish on copper they'd probably do better investing in copper mine company stocks than rounds.

copperhead and spannermonkey like this.
  10. copperhead

copperhead Active Member

I've always been able to get copper legit . So legit I started to accumulate lots of poundage of copper and brass
    eventually drug addicts/criminal types did discover my situation & I was hit hard - along with tools even 40 ounces of silver .
    Scrap replaces itself fast enough so I did rebuild But now I sell as fast as i get it . Silver is kept VERY SAFE now .
    I'd like to express that all metals make money , I got hooked and it became a life stile in the back round of my life
    The streets are paved with Gold - Find - sell & buy Gold - thus convert any metal to Gold - The streets are paved with Gold

11. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I find silver too bulky how do you find space for copper!

12. Jim4silver

This is absolutely true. The key is how much you pay for the metals.

I heard a good one from an old timer when I first started having a booth at coin shows, he said: You make your money when you BUY the coin, not when you sell it". I'd never thought about that before but it was right, with respect to the coin business and probably many other assets. When you can score an asset CHEAP, you run a much better chance of making a profit when you sell it, than if you had paid retail when you bought it (changing market prices over time notwithstanding).

13. copperhead

copperhead Active Member

Don't get to caught up with my originally concept of tons of copper -
    But 200 pounds is no big deal it's still a dense metal
    Even now I have plenty of raw copper like wire , plumbing copper TV's ( and other ) to process to cash
    the buying of Clean copper bullion is like i just get in the mood and do it .
    I will say what I purchased over the years in copper seems to have gone up on Ebay
    My bars - 1 pound coins - 5 pound poured copper bars are selling for twice what I paid
    1 ounce CU coins seem the least in extra value . Except I see certain coins sell for $4 each

14. copperhead

copperhead Active Member

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-ONE-POUND-AMERICAN-WALKING-LIBERTY-COPPER-ROUND-999-COPPER-ROUND/222786963470?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=50686&meid=9e6dcfeba5814026b97fba53d053d470&pid=100033&rk=7&rkt=8&mehot=lo&sd=332599823794&itm=222786963470&_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042

This is one of the coins I bought from Provident or JNB - - I paid $7 and did with each Silver order
    then they discontinued it I found some on E bay at the time for $12 bought 3 or 4 I forget But bottom line here they are
    & the seller did sell them - Is it worth the price ??? I notice not even easy to buy many of the copper pound bars any more . back a time it was always my after thought get a 2 pound bar get a 5 pound bar I am not sorry I did .
    Value is what one can be convinced of . As a scrapper I can tell you from experience the free find is drying up because industry finds alternatives
    & ways to use less copper .
    Wire can't be compromised yet , utilities companies use less copper and brass
    as I used to get tons from there dumpster TRASH
    now it is more aluminum wire and steel instead of brass

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018