Copper/Brass medals cast by the Shanghai Mint..

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by silverfever, May 28, 2012.

1. low

low New Member

Well at least I don't think this credibility is an issue with China medal collectors. It is important for coins, but not so much on medals. That is the reason there are lots of private medal companies producing lots of medals in recent years. Some of them are absolutely beautiful and very popular among the collectors. NGC will not grade these medals. So...

Personally I say NO. I don't know what conservation can do to these metals. The only problem I know with these metals is verdigris, but I don't believe conservation will solve this problem once you see verdigris.

I used to own an old China 20 cash copper coin. It is graded NGC MS62BN and has a verdigris spot. I believe it might have gone through NCS as there is some evidence some one has try to remove the verdigris. The result is not impressive though.

We know there are still tons of medals available in China and price is still so cheap, instead of paying NCS, I rather use the money to buy more, keep the spare as insurance in case some of them goes wrong. I still believe it is easier to take care of these medals than the precious silver/gold coins.

2. silverfever

silverfever New Member

3. low

low New Member

Sounds cool.

He sure has many very nice looking medals for sale. If not for the horrible stories, I will buy one.

The "2001 The panda issued 20y Gold-plated Copper 120mm medal China coin" is both rare and interesting.

It has been there for quite a while. A good medal assuming it is genuine and problem free.

4. silverfever

silverfever New Member

5. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

NGC recently came out and said that the 84 Goldfish plated medals can now be graded (thus confirming their legitimacy).

I forgot the details of which is legit & what can be graded (you can find it on CCF) but wouldn't be surprised to see demand ramp up (& subsequently price rise) due to this fact alone.

6. shibaji

shibaji New Member

This is different. This is gold plated. Earlier one was silver plated. NGC now grades the following:

1. 1984 silver plated copper
    2. 1984 gold plated copper
    3. 1984 silver
    4. 1990 silver

#3 and #4 are hard to get (many fakes) and high priced. #3 is hardest to get.

7. jc888888888

jc888888888 New Member Silver Stacker

I bought a couple of sets of each from the dude ,i like the goldfish, both the silver plated and gold plated ,just for my kids collection 3 and 2 sets respectively,off to NCS when I get them...........as an investment?????? who knows???? cool medals though?? and hard to grade high........we shall see:)

8. shibaji

shibaji New Member

Do you have the silver versions ? So you are doing NCS/NGC for these medals, not just NGC ? Please post the results/pics when you get back. Thank you so much.

9. silverfever

silverfever New Member

Low has already given his opinion on this but are you planning to NCS those copper medals or are they going directly to NGC?

10. jc888888888

Without looking at them ???? but if you look at Jay who has had a few sets for sale he conserves them and most all of his medals, so him being the most knoledgeable person I know on these ,I will probably follow his lead,fyi his one gold plated graded/conserved set on e bay went for 399.00 he has since raised his prices as when you figure the cost of these sets raw and the NCS/NGC fee,s and on top pay pal and fee bay,he probably did not make much if at all. I think I am going to bite the bullet ,and NCS them, from my very limited research and conversation with Jay via e mail,these thing do not grade high in the world of these medals a 67 is like a 69 in the panda world:) I think they will appreciate over time.

11. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

Yes they (these medals) don't grade well, especially the copper stuff.

The 1993 13.5g Copper Panda is a fine example of copper not grading very well.

Don't expect 69 or 68 (and lol 70? no way). A 67 is pretty much a top grade!

I bought a few brass medals (graded + NCS) via Jay and gotta say they are extremely shiny and luster after going through NCS. The original mint packaging one comparatively looks dull colored.

Having said that, I have some Gold plated brass that looks shiny shiny already so YMMV for NCS.

12. low

low New Member

Brass (or yellow copper) medal can be very beautiful with lustrous surface. Good if NCS can work on bring out the lustrous surface of the brass medal.

For red copper or bronze, I don't believe (though I stand corrected) there is much thing NCS can work on.

Do take note NGC doesn't apply color designation on brass coins/medal, just like silver, gold and most other metals.

Color designation only applicable to copper or bronze, with RD (Red), RB (Red Brown) and BN (Brown). RD is given for coins (and medals) with at least 95% of original mint brilliance, and BN is given for coins with less than 5% original mint brilliance. Anything in between is given RB.

Now, NCS can turn a toned silver into shiny bright silver, but as far as I know, there is no way NCS can turn a BN coin (with less than 5% brilliance left, or a nearly fully toned) into RB or RD.

Given a choice (if there is), RD is a lot more valuable than BN coin. There maybe dedicated toned silver coins collectors but I have yet to come across anyone who prefer BN over RD, unless money is the concern.

Most of the China copper medal (not brass, not gilded brass) receive BN. That should be the way it is to give the antique look. Strictly speaking, you can say they have been "played" with. I don't know what benefit one gain from conserving a "played" with medal. What exactly can NCS achieve? I don't know.

Found this thread on CCF - http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=3788.0

13. jc888888888

Great info Low

14. low

low New Member

Just saying I did buy a copper medal from Jay which he sent to NCS for conservation. The medal graded MS65BN.

Do I believe the medal benefit from NCS conservation?
    I took a very close look, and for very long time. I say NO.

The reason it is graded MS65 is not because copper medals are hard to achieve 69 or even 70. It is because it has a contact mark and few other things that only fit the 65 grade and not higher.

Definitely there are brass medal that grades 69 or 70. That is not a problem.

I believe 68 or 69 is possible with copper medal. The only problem is access to large stock of these medals.

15. silverfever

silverfever New Member

Anyone know the issue price of this Buddha medal as well as the mintage? I took the pictures from Luckmoneyro's listing and included the COA but I do not read Chinese.
    Can someone help? Looks lilke a stunning medal although a little expensive.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Lim

Lim New Member

mintage 2000
    Price not written there.

17. xRebirthed

xRebirthed New Member

Mintage: 2000
    Price around: 180-200+ usd

18. silverfever

silverfever New Member

Hi just wondering what is your source for the issue price?

Is it selling for that price in Singapore?

Thanks.

19. xRebirthed

xRebirthed New Member

Nope, price is convert from RMB to USD. This is from a coin seller website in shanghai.

Not inclusive of the shipping in between.

Not sure the starting price.

20. silverfever

silverfever New Member

Thanks again.