Copper as bullion

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by copperhead, Jan 14, 2018.

1. copperhead

copperhead Active Member

I've been stacking silver for more then 6 years , occasionally I'd toss in a few copper bullion items just for fun . But really I don't see how copper could become like silver as a by the ounce PM . The main obsticale
    is it can be found for free . None the less

https://www.apmex.com/product/10396...-3402142-8702784-117672497-290552339-62605233

For now copper sells at scrap price or collector trinket price, accelerated well above scrap
    Items like this just keep being sold year after year , is there some thing I have not considered that will cause Copper Bullion to be traded like Silver .

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  2. whay

whay Well-Known Member

Spot price of Cu is $3.20 per pound. This 10 oz Geiger copper bar is about $2 at spot. I don't see any value stacking with 1000% premium. Copper price have to go to the moon for you to break even!

3. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

o_O
    Copper as bullion o_O
    I'm confused by the concept of the idea :eek:

4. StewyD32

StewyD32 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

My friend asked me about this aswell and I instantly thought of him having to get a sea container to store it all, and probably the copper value would be the value the same as the sea container.

It will never be of bullion value due to this. Many people don't even stack silver due to storage reasons compared to gold.
    Buy a kg or two for novelty reasons ( paper weight, door stop etc) but that's about it!

5. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

I accumulate scrap copper and aluminum from vintage cars I part out for my online business,
    plus other wires and bits I can find.
    It is sold at the local scrapyard, and the coin store is on the way home.
    I have bought many ozs. of silver this way, at basically no cost but my time and some petrol.
    I guess that means I do stack copper, just not to hold.

6. copperhead

copperhead Active Member

I am heavy into scrapping copper or any metal & yes it buys silver .
    I think in a hundred years copper could develop value per ounce
    but it needs to begone from the easy find aspect . For now free find copper is all over

7. morgan denarius

morgan denarius New Member

As a child i found out about coin collecting and then stacking because of copper. I'm from Canada but growing up i was Very Poor and am still just starting out. The copper penny was Canada's lowest denominational coin(one cent) in my childhood years up until recently it was available from any store or bank. Just like the U.S penny many did not appreciate its beauty and history. I remember saving pennies in rolls i rolled myself when i was 13-14 into my fireproof safe, even as a kid i knew pennies were unique and had a long history. The penny was and is a remarkable coin despite it's composition of copper plus etc. Copper is the oldest and probably the most important metal to mankind from prehistoric man to the bronze age to even now with hybrid cars now a thing. I personally Love copper and am willing to pay a in reach mark up but currently only have dabbled in copper rounds. I would like to do maybe a few big purchases in my life time with the metal that started it all. In All i would not heavily invest in copper until it reaches 5-7 U.S dollars an OZ. That being said i don't know when and if it will be in the price range in our life time, one or two things to look for is the electric car and robotics industry, when that day comes when robots cook us breakfast and will smith joins the PD is when copper will make a come back in bronze age demand.
    1. Copper is beautiful
    2.Unique
    3.Extremely useful for mankind's needs
    4.Base metal/ metal of growth
    5. buy it cause you like it :)

stay thirsty my friend stay stacking

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
    mmissinglink likes this.
  8. Coins A-Z

Coins A-Z Active Member

The copper I own is in the form of copper pennies, blocks, rounds (like this: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/CyEAAOSwO7haKIrz/s-l1600.jpg ), and medals (like this, see bottom of article: https://www.newcoinreleases.com/st-...-medallion-now-available-in-copper-and-brass/).

Copper is a great metal in many respects. If you are purist "stacker", then copper might be something for most people to stay away from as you will need to stack quite a lot or weight to secure some reasonable wealth in copper.

morgan denarius likes this.
  9. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

I've some Mulligan Mint 0.999 copper 1oz versions of their silver equivalents. The Galt design like my avatar, Ludwig von Mises heads, bitcoin type, etc.
    Got them as unannounced gifts from a dealer I purchased silver from.
    Tho the end of the story was an order not delivered and dealer ceased to be dealer and vanished, so I've paid for them altogether.
    At the time, their price tag was about $6. For copper, thats alot.
    Okay to have a couple solely for design, but for stacking etc, way too expensive and too space consuming.
    But they are impressive, especially for those that only know fiatcoins.