Collectible Guitars

Discussion in 'Other Investments' started by phoenixeagle, Jan 4, 2015.

1. phoenixeagle

phoenixeagle Member

My family has a few rare and collectable guitars that they're wanting to sell - e.g. Zakk Wylde and Slash custom les pauls

Does anyone know of any places or collectors that would be interested?

Cheers :)

2. screaming eagle

screaming eagle Active Member Silver Stacker

eBay is probably going to net the widest market for one of these. There's probably a few metal/guitar related forums though that might have the collectors that you're after.

3. Roswell Crash Survivor

Roswell Crash Survivor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Like most collectibles, it will be a non-transparent market with highly variable value evaluation and unknown market depth.

If you don't know your business, or if you try to divest these assets at the wrong time, it will be 'Teardrops On My Guitar'*.

An alternative strategy in finding guitars used/autographed by well-known music artists who are expected to shed their mortal coil within the next 10-20 years.

Suggestions: old-time rockers who drank hard, used plenty of recreational substances and partied like maniacs

You'd have less trouble offloading the assets for a good return within a week of their passing.

4. Potato

Potato Member

I would head to a guitar forum and post the make/model/year and get a rough valuation. If the forum is based in the US, keep in mind that Australia can be 30-50%+ more expensive even after taking into account the exchange rate. We pay considerably more for most music gear. So see if you can find something specific to Australia.

Gumtree is good if you can find a local buyer. eBay slugs you with fees that can start to hurt. A lot of collectors go on gumtree trying to score good deals, you may even get people from different states asking you to post it them. Watch out for paypal scams, I would personally only accept payment in cash or direct deposit.

5. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

The collector I know gets almost everything through eBay. Seems to be the go-to market.