Coins in Bezel on Ebay Being Offered at Crazy HIGH prices eg Shilling

Discussion in 'Jewellery & Gems' started by 1for1, Dec 30, 2014.

1. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Have seen a few sellers on ebay with coins in a bezel selling them at a huge huge mark up to the value of the coin + the bezel.. considering how easy it is to put your favourite coin in a bezel i wonder why these could command such high premiums.

One example are POST (50%) shillings -- these are being sold for $50 on ebay.. the removable bezel and bail are around $20 (this was the most expensive at 1 unit - importing or buying in bulk and $10 is a more common price) .. then there is the $2 shilling.. so a cost of $22 for $49 .. nice profits!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-Coin-B...231418310485?pt=AU_Coins2&hash=item35e19b2f55

Doesn't look like they have sold any (i am not suprised) but still think its a potential good idea if you were to sell them at around $25 each there may be a market.. should be able to get the coin + bezel + bail for around $10 if you do it in quantities.. or get a few product lines like florin, shilling, 6d etc for the local market (or US sizes if you are in the US).

http://www.esslinger.com/Englishshillingcoinedgecoinmounting-1.aspx ($10 each)

Is there something i am missing> the one i have i just insert the coin and lock it? trick is to generate some demand i guess.. i wont be wearing one, the only one i have will be gifted.

1for1

2. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

My mate "aussiecollectables" came up with the idea years ago
    Up market jewellers copied him & now every man & his dog is doing the same :rolleyes:
    You can also get them from Universal Coin Comp in Melbourne ;) about $35 each
    Or if you know where to get the bezels from , for only a couple of $ ;)

Don't ask where to get the bezels from please

3. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Ok i wont.. i will shop around.. am sure they will be available at less than $10 each.. couple of grams of silver and all :)

$35 is an ok price if you cant be jacked putting your coin in your bezel yourself or if you dont have either and know nothing about silver or coins :)

4. Dellers

Dellers Member Silver Stacker

not just feebay seen the same deal at some markets recently. Not a bad gig if people are buying :)

5. spannermonkey

It was when they first started
    Now every man who and his dog are trying its frustrating

6. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

They go from being a bullion item to a jewellery item - cost of material is kind of irrelevant.

$22 markup isn't much given the time to make, list, package, ship etc.

7. somethingsilverrelated

somethingsilverrelated Member Silver Stacker

8. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

9. Hp1173

Hp1173 Active Member Silver Stacker

I have started making these pendants along with other coin jewellery to come. It isn't that simple.
    I also include a chain and is presented in a black presentation box.

It takes about 20mins to do each one. (cleaning, polishing, re-cleaning, assembling - pendant/bail/neclace/box/outerbox, welding bail, etc.
    Costs are around $55-$60 depending on the aud/us dollar. Approx Prices = (pendant $22, Bail $2, Chain $19, Box $7, Coin $2, tools/polishes/cleaners etc)

At the moment i am selling them for $70 on trading floor and $80 on general sales thread.

10. Hp1173

Hp1173 Active Member Silver Stacker

I actually purchased 10 of these! After the currency conversion and $30 shipping i began putting a few togeather. Three of them broke.... All there items are way too thin and weigh next to nothing.
    The good ones cost $20+

11. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Sounds like an excellent opportunity to commission some of these be made, given the relatively low cost of silver now, i suspect it may be considerably cheaper to produce and then either sell loose or complete.. would need to make enough of them to be cheap enough (per unit) that demand will be strong, one for the next trip to asia :) --- so many oppertunities!

1for1

12. VANGBAC

VANGBAC Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Where would I get a basic 9 kt bezel for a 1/10 th Au 2014 Horse with bail.? Anyhelp appreciated. I'm sure I can find one but thought someone on the forum may be have one.

13. spannermonkey

I've looked into it in the past
    And at over $150 each nobody was interested :rolleyes:
    Gold + labour to cast them & than finish them out of the mould

14. VANGBAC

VANGBAC Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Thanks Spanner.

15. phrenzy

phrenzy In Memoriam - July 2017 Silver Stacker

I'm in the process of having a lunar coin made into a bracelet and it's going to cost several hundred dollars but then there was a lot of manufacturing work that is going into the chains.

I suppose my point is that the price isn't actually that bad as long as your getting something where a lot of effort has gone into the fit and finish. I agree that clipping a shilling into a setting isn't exactly rocket science, at that price you'd want it to look pretty good.

16. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Agree with your points,

i think its important to differentiate a one-off peice of art VS mass produced items.

I think this is an example of something that could be "mass produced" so we should be able to get them at lower costs.. we are talking about a couple of dollars of silver and a relativly simple shape (as far as i can tell) .. i will share anything good i come across as i look into this specific line of jewellery more.. likely it will be medium term.

at this stage if i can ensure quality maybe 500 of each - shilling and florin.

I also love the Coin Rings .. will look into this in parallel, understand they take more time to fashion so likely would never get a low price on these but some kind of outsourcing would work.

:)

Id love to have "bail" bullion... yeah! 2.5 gram and 5 gram bail bullion at 925 purity - perfect for shilling/ florin :___)