coins and bullion are prohibited by Australia Post

Discussion in 'Silver' started by 11471147, Aug 30, 2018.

?

Did you know Australia Post prohibits coins and bullion?

1. Yes

28 vote(s)
    53.8%
  2. No

24 vote(s)
    46.2%
  1. tongkat

tongkat Active Member Silver Stacker

Speak with an insurance broker. They’ll ask tons of questions about your business and find you the best insurer. They get a fee of course every time you renew but also act as a liaison between your business and the insurance company. That relationship can prove invaluable.

2. 11471147

11471147 Active Member

how about this, when shipping coins, bullion, gold, silver, etc, and filling out the "Customs Declaration" in the "Full Description of Goods". Could we write something like,
    "collector tokens", "metal collector tokens", "collector chips", "hobby collector supplies".

I'm wondering if this would help get around the actual high value, and also and retain insurance from Australia Post.
    My concern with "metal shims" for an engine pump, if coins, and bars are listed as "metal spacers" for a wheat silo, is that it's hard to see these items valued as a few thousand dollars (like if you ship a few rolls of Perth Mint coins or something like that). And even more so if you ship a single gold coin, maybe AUD$1500+. I don't think anyone would believe or provide a lot of insurance for a single "metal shim" priced that high.

But maybe it would work if was described as a "metal collector token".

3. The Crow

The Crow Member Silver Stacker

I had no problem with Australia Post settling a claim for "collector coins" and "jewellery" with registered post. Bars, etc, are "jewellery" and collector coins are just that. A Perth Mint silver 1 oz is not really money.

4. President Trump

President Trump Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Wow what a frustrating thread to read from beginning to end. Being a new buyer of coins/ bullion and a lawyer (so too conservative to take a chance without properly investigating) I have looked at this thoroughly. First of all, obviously you can post it without getting into any trouble. The issue is... if coins are lost, will anyone compensate? I think as most people on this thread have realised, the answer is no. Insurance, no insurance, registered or not, australia post will not cover you beyond about $200 and I don't think that amount helps a lot of people here. Clearly you can self-insure which is what everyone here is doing, whether they know it or not. That is option 1.
    Option 2 is a courier. The couriers will not cover coins/bullion under their regular insurance but most will allow you to buy additional insurance. If you are shipping large amounts you may wish to do this as a one off. If you are regularly shipping you may be able to strike a better deal. You can buy additional one off insurance from Australian Risk Applications Pty Ltd on 02 9007 2491 but their premium will be about 8%. So self-insuring is looking like the only realistic option.
    To conclude if you are the sending through Australia Post, the goods are lost and you have already been paid, your buyer wont be very happy, but you will probably suffer no loss. If you are the buyer then you are screwed. If you are doing this regularly then your best bet is to hope that the goods turn up more then 92% of the time, then I guess you are ahead. As few on here even see this as an issue (and some don't even seem to want to entertain it as an issue) I guess its ok 99+% of the time. Most be an uncomfortable experience for the 1%! For me it is a cost of business that doesn't make sense so I collect in person.

5. Oddjob

Oddjob Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Shouldn't you be swatting up for dinner with Morrison right now. Tip, talk about the Sharkies and Israel Folau.

6. President Trump

President Trump Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Attending to my hair, the rest of the covfefe will take care of itself.

Bullion_ron likes this.
  7. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If his eyes go wonky and he starts to slur his words all over the place just give him a minute for the vision to pass.

8. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Auspost and coins/bullion.

Just make sure sender and receiver both agree to what ever sender wrote in insurance claim for X months and hope they don’t disagree when insurance assessor contacts them.

9. Golden Stash

Golden Stash Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

@tongkat

Mark as metal spacers and shims

10. Golden Stash

Golden Stash Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

A parcel today was returned to sender as it contained bullion, AP refused to deliver it.

Anybody else have this problem before?

11. Oddjob

Oddjob Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

12. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Well-Known Member

"Machined metal parts"
    100% accurate

dollars and Oddjob like this.