Coin shopping - 2018 Maples - Impressed

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Grizzly, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Grizzly

Grizzly Active Member

After my last posting bagging out the 2019 kangaroos, I thought I would put up a positive post.

I recently received a shipment from Ainslie in the mail and it included some 2018 Maples. Having read about their new process to reduce or eliminate milk spots that came out with the 2018 coin I thought I would get a few and see how they go.

I bought a few 2011 Maples before and they are nice, but they did not knock my socks off.

However this shipment of maples are 2018 coins, and they look amazing! These 2018s are brilliant and the hatched background works very well.

I tried to compare the 2011 and the 2018 in the photos below, but the pictures just don't do them justice. The 2011s are slightly toned, but not so much that you would notice unless you put them next to a brand new coin. To be expected of course given the age difference, but the 2018s really pop and catch your eye.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jislizard, paruwka and Oddjob like this.
  2. Oddjob

Oddjob Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I like the new Maples. The security micro engraving adds a great effect to the look of the coin. Well played re the purchase Grizzly.

DavidRich and Grizzly like this.
  3. DavidRich

DavidRich Member

the difference is tremendous! 2018 Maples are obviously coins of the new generation.

4. sgbuyer

sgbuyer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I've got myself 2018 maple and another ASE, these are the only 1 oz silver coins that I've got. I don't have prior year Maple so I can't compare with the 2018. The Maple is nice and shiny, but in my opinion the matt platinum like finish on the ASE is also just as attractive if not even more.