Coin pages to avoid

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by Jislizard, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Up until the past few years I have been buying my coin pages off of a member of the coin club, he buys them in bulk and then sells them to the coin club members at a discount.

More recently I have been buying Lighthouse products from the internet as they have a decent range for all my collectibles. They cost more but the albums look nicer.

I just went back to check some of my coins and they are all ruined. They are all sticky, they have not discoloured or gone green as used to happen with the old PVC pages but all the fields have become cloudy.

I looked on the pages but couldn't find any brand names or information but on the 2x2 page there was a name, 'Cumberland'.

I have just googled them and found that they are an Australian brand and all the pages are PVC. They didn't smell like PVC so maybe they are using a different kind of softener.

I am a bit shocked that they would still make pages for coin collectors out of PVC because the problem with PVC pages has been known about for decades and now most of the companies like UltraPro or Lighthouse state that their pages are PVC and Acid Free.

Probably not much of an issue but it if you like to buy local products or you get your pages down the local dealer or at the market then you really don't know what you are buying.

I will be taking some pictures of the coins in the pages. I put aside any new coins that looked uncirculated so there is a decent timeline and you can see how much the coins deteriorate each year. I will post them up when I get them done.

2. Coins A-Z

Coins A-Z Active Member

About a year or two ago I purchased some plastic pages with multiple slots off eBay. They were very, very inexpensive and the auction listing did not indicate they they were made from PVC but I later found out they are. I assumed, when I'd purchased them, that all coin sleeves were PVC free since, as you noted Jislizard, for decades it's been known that PVC is a problem for most types of coins.

Live and learn.

bloomst likes this.
  3. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The people making these coin sheets know that they will destroy the coins in time, yet they are happy to sell them to coin collectors.

bloomst likes this.