Clarification/Questions on Australia Post

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by Yankee101, Mar 22, 2020.

1. Yankee101

Yankee101 Member

I have a few questions on sending items by Australia Post.

I've been an active seller on Ebay in the past selling mostly philatelic material and related items, but only a few coins.

As many know ANY item posted by regular mail and that is "lost" or stolen will result in a total loss for the sender. Australia Post will not admit to any liability.

As a seller on Ebay for over ten years I had pretty good results overall except for a few countries such as China and India. Surprisingly Canada and Singapore were two other countries that had a few items 'gone missing'. I ended up blocking China, India, Singapore, and Canada and the losses basically disappeared. Italy and Russia, which many people complained about, were never any problem!!

So recently the better half sold a few carded silver Kangaroos on Ebay. All were sent by regular post and two arrived and had no problems. All were sent from the same post office as well.

One didn't "arrive" - it was either "lost", "stolen", or the buyer lied about not getting it. This was the FIRST loss that either of us had in Australia. The item was well packed and no hint of what was inside.

Refunded the money and ended up losing the coin and postage. Yeah, the total amount wasn't that big in the scheme of things, but a lot of wasted time and effort and when it happens it makes you wonder about people.

So, after reading up on sending things such as coins and precious metals by Australia Post, I am totally confused.

It appears that "bullion" items are NOT insurable and if gone "missing" a total loss.

"Australian Coins" appear to be covered/coverable, but foreign coins are not.

(Australia Post sells numerous coins and sends them out............are they covered or do they have a special policy in regards to only their items?)

Medals made of silver or gold? Are they "bullion items"? Or ar they 'art work'?

What is the definition of a "bullion item"? Yeah, a 1 kilogram bar of silver is a "bullion item". Is a $1 Silver Kangaroo a "bullion item" or a "coin"? How about those Masterpieces in Silver sets?

If these kinds of things aren't covered or insurable for loss, what is the best way to send items such as foreign silver coins, medals, and Australian coins?

Thanks.

2. bubblebobble2

bubblebobble2 Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

any metal you send, will not be insured.. therefore, conseal it as much as you can. period.

Silverling likes this.
  3. GF

GF Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

always send with tracking... if the buyer doesn't want to pay for it there will always be someone else..

Silverling likes this.