Chinese ghost cites.....worth keeping an eye on this.

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by Oddjob, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If you look at past when Japanese and Koreans where dirt poor, making all the crap China makes now, I’d say China will consume far far more iron, aluminium, copper etc. as they get as richer.

South Korea in 1960 was the poorest country in the world by a long margin.

2. Oddjob

Oddjob Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Given China's modernisation is fairly recent (ie last 30 years), their appetite for raw materials such as iron ore to fuel that growth has been huge.... As with all modern countries most things are built with a level of planned obsolescence thus the big question no one really answer is what level of recycling will / can China undertake in the coming years when they tearing down and rebuilding various part of their infrastructure?.... If China starts recycling materials like steel / iron, then that too will / may impact Australian iron ore exports to China at a future date.

3. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

In China a lot of ghost cities are literally falling apart due to poor construction. Those cities aren't built in anticipation of people actually living there. They're built in anticipation of investors paying for them.

leo25 likes this.
  4. willrocks

In the 1960s South Korea experienced a low skill manufacturing boom. This also happened in Japan, Taiwan and other Asian countries. China is now making all the cheap crap for the rest of the world, however as China's cost of labor moves up, manufacturers will seek out cheaper alternatives such as India.

The reason China isn't filling the ghost cities is because people can't afford to live in them. I can't see that changing in the short-term (5-10 years). And before those poor Chinese get richer, I think most manufacturers will be already seeking cheaper alternatives.

bordsilver likes this.
  5. Ipv6Ready

That’s the same in Korea and Japan, very few building last 40 or houses last 30 years.
    They get rebuilt even the high rises.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  6. Ipv6Ready

I’d suggest be it is Korea or China, when one developer (usullay there are many developers) hits the hard time, all those gets snapped up at bargain, than the ball start rolling.

Do you know how much an apartment in those ghost cities sell for, I doubt they are too expensive for the locals.

If they are $100,000 to $200,000 in middle of nowhere China ghost cities, that is 8 to 15 years single average income.
    Even thoiugh average salary is $12k USD, it is likely 50 million people in China earring $20k usd a year and 10 million people earring $40k a year.

7. willrocks

It's not the same. Don't fool yourself.

Tokyo and Ipv6Ready like this.
  8. Ipv6Ready

I presume, youre not from China, Korea or Japan.
    This is by design. As old house and flats have very very low value.

Just land value. Korea and Japan for different reason, but the design life for properties is not much more 50 year,

The average Korean apartment is 20 years old because continual rebuilding and of course brand new ones too. But typically well before a apartment block becomes 40 years old, developers buy the whole building block which might have ten high rise apartments and when becomes 40 years old... it is bulldozed the next day

In 1980 1 in 20 people had a car in Korea, most didn’t have a shower or bath, just a tiny toilet and small area to wash your face and hair.

Now 1 in 4 have cars and as people get richer no one buys an apartment without parking, and proper baths.

Not many 1980 high rise apartment standing unless the area is a slum.

Now that Koran government allows 30 year old parents blocks to be rebuilt, I doubt workmanship in Korean apartments would need to even last 40 years

In Japan,
    https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2017/nov/16/japan-reusable-housing-revolution

bordsilver likes this.
  9. Tokyo

Tokyo Active Member

I am from Japan you guys don’t understand nothing but keep spreading the rumours. Lol
    Do you know the regulations chang in Japan? I bet you have no idea.
    If you do feel free to get back to me . News and tv is baked in you head

10. Ipv6Ready

Actually it would be good, what is it in Japan, hence the links, where as I wrote about Korea being Korean.

11. leo25

leo25 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Please expand. What are the regulations that keep changing which causes people to keep rebuilding? Also how cheap is it to build a new home to make it a viable option?
    Also what info in the news is false?

12. Tokyo

Tokyo Active Member

hint” Do Korea have earthquake like Japan? Do China get earthquake Japan? Do they get tsunami&typhoon salt rain on houses? Do they need new regulations? Do they need to build stronger? Is steel foundation new code? Is really bullid cheap risking people’s life?
    Sheep be always be sheep. Foolish but you choice to believe whatever.

13. Ipv6Ready

Presumably English is your second language. If you read what wilrocks and I wrote, each countries have different reasons but at the end housing is continually rebuilt.

willrocks believes it is shoddy workmanship, where as I believe the real reason houses and buildings in Korea, Japan and China use cheaper material is because it’s not designed to stand for 100 years, And even the link to Japan housing says so.

The above link the American raised Korea guy doesn’t know this is common.
    That is how many 35 year old apartment looks in Korea even in the richest ares of Gangnam style.

Basically the whole block with ten or twenty mid rise apartments would be bought by a developer. Rich owners would have moved out before this and will be renting to the poor students and even more poorer as it gets closer to demolition date until it’s locked up
    but rent would be really cheap.

Owners can sell outright for cash .. or pay a small amount to the developer in exchange for getting a brand new modern apartment.

The developers would build multiple 40 to 50 floors high rise apartment, to make a profit.

Here is another one

Note unlike Australia, the area the developers have to buy is huge and could be billions of dollars.

14. leo25

leo25 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I understand English is not your first language, but can you please try and structure what you are saying a bit better. You are all over the place.

15. willrocks

You presume wrong.

You literally took one article about 30+ year old houses in Japan being rebuilt and applied that to multiple countries, cities, apartments ... etc, and somehow came to the conclusion that Chinese shoddy building standards are by design so they can rebuild them in 30 years. Please ... give me a break.

I've also lived in Japan. Most of the inner city buildings looked to be much older than 30 years. Japanese buildings don't fall over/apart before they need to be rebuilt. They are rebuilt because people want newer buildings. There's a big difference.

Tokyo, sgbuyer and leo25 like this.