Chinese coin investments LIST #99 - Anniversary pandas, lunars...

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by tamo42, Oct 24, 2011.

1. tamo42

tamo42 New Member

List #99 came out, and the supply of Chinese coins is exploding! At this moment there are 503 active coins on the list.

Also be sure to check out the commentary at the beginning. It's even more detailed than usual:

Read more at http://www.livebusinesschat.com/smf/index.php?topic=4814.0

2. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Wow... that is a really good article; Badon has some really good points.

Fantastic post as usual! Thanks Tamo42!

3. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

Copycat Australian Lunars :p

:lol:

Super detailed article, a must read for all investors of Chinese modern coins...

Badon is very blunt and honest about his analysis of western coin markets, I think a lot of people on here will be offended but it's good information.

When investing, put pride and patriotism aside, $$$$$$$ > pride and patriotism.

4. rbaggio

rbaggio Active Member Silver Stacker

Some interesting points in the article (re: lunars), good to see other views.

5. tamo42

tamo42 New Member

This just bears repeating.

6. 25Grizzlies

25Grizzlies Member

Can confirm the malaise which surrounds the Australian lunar series... I'm having to sell the last of my lunars well below what I purchased them for. Well struck proofs which nobody seems to want.

Maybe it's because there's a picture of an old hag on the back

7. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

You must be doing something wrong then :p

I've never lost money buying/selling Australian Lunars, only occasions where "I could've made more money, but didn't".

8. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

As a Chinese Panda/Lunar noob these are all very interesting articles. Searching over many options it makes it very hard to come to rationale decisions. Should I buy this or should I get that etc... Even with only 30 years of minting there is quite an exhaustive list. Then you have the issue of genuine "v" fake to consider. Followed by what I can tell the Panda pricepedia as the only really accepted Western reference for pricing.

With the market being so young I have no doubt that this will be a huge market in years to come but what will be the "Key Dates" and what will be the shocks that come through. From dealing in the Aussie Pre decimal market I know that low mintage does not always = High Prices.

So I see a 2000 Flower Dragon with case no COA (Reputable dealer) wants about $900 Pricepedia says $765 - $939(older price) who would pull the trigger on this ? This is just one example which is replicated across most of the Chines Minted coins.

I can tell you one thing though I think I am getting hooked as the chase is fun :)

9. tamo42

tamo42 New Member

Honestly the best way to protect yourself from fakes is to buy graded coins. You can check a PCGS serial number or NGC certification number from your iPhone before you buy to make sure the pictures and script ions match. This is one of many reasons the LBC lists only contain graded coins.

On the other issue of key dates and such, yes, popularity matters. There are some Chinese coins that are every rare, but not popular. Depending on your outlook of future popularity, these coins are either wastes of money or fabulous investment opportunities. If you want to play it safe, just stick with the pandas and lunars. There is plenty there to keep you busy for years to come!

10. 25Grizzlies

25Grizzlies Member

Yeah well I could hold on to these no future coins and make some money on them but I don;t want to, rather put the cash toward CCs.

I'll be bringing them to Sydney for the meet I'll keep them cheap for you Fish ;)