China wants to 'cripple' Australia and 'hold our corpse up as an example'

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by willrocks, May 13, 2020.

1. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

2. Skyrocket

Skyrocket Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

3. leo25

leo25 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think it's great china stops buying our stuff, means more quality stuff for me here in Australia. I need the stuff Australia produces, but i have little need for the stuff china produces.

The CCP is too short sighted and emotional, they don't understand that it hurts the Chinese people more in the long run. But since the CCP hates the Chinese people maybe that's not an issue for them.

Last edited: May 13, 2020
    jultorsk likes this.
  4. bubblebobble2

bubblebobble2 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Another bragging on China... this is because of 'cone-head' Peter Dutton who started this BS... cause he NEVER got the top job and never will...

5. Aurora et luna

Aurora et luna Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

No F*&*k Morrison and Trump!
    If one of my suppliers starts to insult, belittle or threaten me, I am going to dump them asap and replace them with another supplier.
    Just common sense!

6. bubblebobble2

Just keep it local mate...

Aurora et luna likes this.
  7. bubblebobble2

On the positive side of this is.... CHEAP meats! Wooohoo!!!!

I've been munching good'ol aussie meats this week... just keep on go in'

PS - I'm referring to beef meats mate... if you guys're wondering

sammy likes this.
  8. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Clever aren't they?
    Send companies bust, then come in and "try" to take them over.

But

Last updated: 24 April 2020

On 29 March 2020, the Treasurer announced that due to the impacts of the coronavirus outbreak, all monetary screening thresholds will be temporarily reduced to $0.

The Foreign Acquisitions and Takeovers Amendment (Threshold Test) Regulations 2020 gave effect to this temporary change. These Regulations amended the Foreign Acquisitions and Takeovers Regulation 2015 (the Regulation) to prescribe nil monetary value thresholds for particular significant actions and notifiable actions.This means that a greater number of investments by foreign persons in Australia are required to be notified to the Treasurer for review to ensure they are not contrary to the national interest.
    https://firb.gov.au/guidance-resources/guidance-notes/gn53

9. jultorsk

jultorsk Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

But the issue goes way way beyond a few slabs of steak. China has been cut way too much slack with regards of Tibet, HK, Taiwan, South China Sea (Spratlys etc). It is an expansionist communist and totalitarian regime, pure and simple. Whatever - and I mean literally whatever - Trump's or Morrison's shortcomings may be, I will never prefer the Chinese terms over theirs. The China vs. West divide will come to a head on the international forums and I hope Australia chooses wisely.

10. Holdfast

The USDA report says compared with January 2016, Australian barley prices have been nearly $30/tonne lower year-over-year, a factor that is expected to boost Australian exports to key markets such as China.

The report says the implementation of the China Australia Free Trade Agreement in January last year has provided Australia with a competitive advantage with the removal of the import duty for barley.

For the first two months of 2017, China’s imports of Australian barley more than tripled compared to the same period the previous year, according to Chinese customs data.

As a result of Australia’s competitive prices, other major exporters such as the European Union (EU) and the Ukraine have felt downward price pressure since the beginning of 2016.

Despite slightly lower production, EU prices are lower, and 2016/17 exports are forecast to be the second-largest behind Australia.

For Ukraine, prices averaged $137/t in January, decreasing over $20/t year-over-year as a larger domestic crop has also pressured prices.

Weak barley prices imply that growth in supplies of feed grains are outpacing global demand.

https://www.graincentral.com/cropping/australia-tops-world-barley-exports/

11. Holdfast

Australia is a dominant player in world barley export markets, representing 30-40 percent of the world’s malting barley trade and 20 percent of the feed barley trade.

Demand for high quality barley is strong both in Australia and internationally with Australian barley well recognised for its excellent malt and feed qualities. Australia produces two-row spring barley that is plump and bright with moderate protein content. Harvested grain has low moisture content with long storage viability.

https://www.aegic.org.au/australian-grains/barley/

Shaddam IV likes this.
  12. Holdfast

Beef
    Australia in top three as beef exporter
    Of the total beef produced nationally in Australia, 70 per cent was exported, with the remaining 30pc going to the domestic market. (So eat more Beef Aussies)

With these figures China represented 24pc of total Australian beef exports in 2019, up from 14pc in 2018 and just 11pc in 2017.

In the last three months of 2019 monthly beef export volumes to China exceeded 30,000t swt, which resulted in products being drawn away from other markets that struggled to compete on price.

Another market of high importance to Australian beef exports is Japan.

In 2019 Japan relinquished its number one spot as the biggest importer of Australian beef, falling short of shipments to China by 13,000t swt.

https://www.farmweekly.com.au/story/6734219/australia-in-top-three-as-beef-exporter/

Shaddam IV likes this.
  13. raven

raven Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Oh well, ..... just may lose a market of 1.2 billion.

Mmmmm ..... wonder if they enjoy beef in India ?
    might give 'em a call ....
    Hello yes you do, and you reckon you respect a democracy yeah !
    Cool
    Come on over for a game of cricket mate, and we'll show you how to bbq a prawn.

Well, that was easy
    p.s. wouldn't happen to be in the market for some barley would ya ?
    how 'bout some coal ?
    :)

Silver260 and Holdfast like this.
  14. jultorsk

jultorsk Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I can't understand this defeatism and appeasement towards China o_O Why not concentrate on the opportunities instead. Like the FTA just announced with Indonesia.

Live cattle
    Live cattle is Indonesia's third largest goods import from Australia. IACEPA market access outcomes benefit both countries and support Indonesia's efforts to add value to its own beef production:
    - Elimination the five per cent tariff and guaranteed access for 575,000 live male feeder cattle into Indonesia each year, rising to 700,000 in year six of the agreement
    - A review in year six of the agreement to consider subsequent increases
    - Elimination of the five per cent tariff on live breeder (female cattle), with unlimited tariff-free access guaranteed

Frozen beef
    Indonesia will eliminate its tariff on frozen beef:
    - Tariff on frozen beef cuts with bone in reduced to 2.5 per cent and eliminated by 2023
    - Tariffs on all other frozen beef eliminated by 2020

Sheep and goat meat
    Indonesia will eliminate its tariff on sheep and goat meat:
    - Tariff on frozen sheep meat reduced to 2.5 per cent and eliminated by 2023
    - Tariff on fresh, chilled or frozen goat meat reduced to 2.5 per and eliminated by 2023

mmm....shiney! likes this.
  15. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Not much demand for metallurgical coal locally. Keeping it local is the road to poverty.

16. mmm....shiney!

I'm guessing that if we lose our beef export markets it will mean more expensive domestic beef in the longer term as smaller producers are driven out of the market and replaced by larger producers downsizing their production. Of course that also means less jobs and less wealth. Adam Smith made it clear over 200 years ago in The Wealth of Nations that a country builds wealth by trading its excess production for the goods that other countries can produce more cheaply. Comparative advantage, that hasn't changed.

Smaller producers may transition to elite local markets, but prices will rise as a result.

Last edited: May 13, 2020
  17. mmm....shiney!

I'm curious what stuff Australia produces that you need more of that requires other consumers who need Chinese produced goods to go without?

18. bubblebobble2

Cows are rock stars in India.. I'd like to see you try to sell beef there.

[​IMG]

STKR and sammy like this.
  19. bubblebobble2

'Cone-head' Dutton should foot this bill

20. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Australia produces enough food to feed 62,000,000 annually. 0% chance of keeping it all local.